Experiences What was your first RP character?

What was your first RP character?

• Total voters

Crayons

Iconoclast
I was looking back at a Discord conversation I had with a couple of friends, and we were talking about how people's first ever RP characters tend to fit into only a few different categories. At first we talked about how they were either "idealised you" or "piece of s***" (doing the things you don't dare to IRL) but then there's also the "I made this super weird just because I could" category that my first tabletop character fitted into. So I thought I'd make a poll to ask you folks if your first RP character fitted any of these categories and if so which one?

Although I had done a bunch of casual RPing online, my first proper tabletop character was for Vampire the Masquerade. He had four arms, fought with meat cleavers, wore sweaters knitted by his granny (who may or may not have been a ghost or a figment of his imagination), spent his childhood kept prisoner by an evil priest, and was notable for wearing his hair in a ginger afro. His name was Milton. It was a really fun character to play in a very silly story.

Please have fun with this thread and tell me about your awesome first RP character! Also feel free to request other categories, and if enough people agree I'll add extra ones. 🙂

My first character was made when I met and started communicating with a small group of Pokémon roleplayers on a very hidden, very underpopulated .cbox chatroom in a now very gone app called "Ultradex", and, if I remember correctly, it was just a Shiny Riolu, because, it started off a theme-appropriate avatar to use when we talked.

Over time, though, they introduced me to roleplaying as a way to spend time with eachother despite the distance and anonymity, so, my self-insert Pokémon gradually shifted into a Lucario named Max, which, was specifically 6'7" tall because of a fanfiction I read called the Subspace Emissary (something) conquest, and then, colorful giant wings, because I was a fan of Maximum Ride.

In closing, my first true, "OC" roleplay character became "Max The Avian Lucario", and I actually kept him in account names and passwords for about five years before I left it behind. I used that in a lot of my first writing adventures.

My first character was made when I met and started communicating with a small group of Pokémon roleplayers on a very hidden, very underpopulated .cbox chatroom in a now very gone app called "Ultradex", and, if I remember correctly, it was just a Shiny Riolu, because, it started off a theme-appropriate avatar to use when we talked.

Over time, though, they introduced me to roleplaying as a way to spend time with eachother despite the distance and anonymity, so, my self-insert Pokémon gradually shifted into a Lucario named Max, which, was specifically 6'7" tall because of a fanfiction I read called the Subspace Emissary (something) conquest, and then, colorful giant wings, because I was a fan of Maximum Ride.

In closing, my first true, "OC" roleplay character became "Max The Avian Lucario", and I actually kept him in account names and passwords for about five years before I left it behind. I used that in a lot of my first writing adventures.

If Max evolved out of self insert, I'd put him in the "idealised you" box. XD

Maximum Ride was really good. :)

The Ultimate Self-insert, his power of cringe was U N S T O P P A B L E -

( Edit )
Max The Avian Lucario: "I'm a misunderstood and unfairly descriminated-against angsty teenager that has no choice but to fly away from heartless society"

Also Max The Avian Lucario: *Nonchalantly vomits a laser beam out of his mouth and takes out the nearby diner- *

Last edited:
My first RPs were Pokémon RPs, and though I don't remember which was my first, I remember being a bad Riolu OC a lot lol.

I assume we're talking about roleplay in general and not necessarily the formal text-based version that is the trend on here. I remember pretending to be monster hunters on the first day of being at a new school in first grade and describing what our characters and the monsters looked like. It was pretty funny because we weren't just monster hunters, we were monster monster hunters, not that we found that ironic at all. I had to characters that I remember vividly pretending to be. One was like a giant metallic version of one of those robot dogs that were popular in the 2000's which could essentially open up the sidedoors up to it's inners and rotate a cylinder to produce basically any gadget you could think of. I remember describing opening up and working like a fridge, essentially. The other was a dinosaur much alike a dimetrodon (as dinosaur books were kiddie-coke to me back then) that could put his hand behind his back and produce anything. Oh, and breathe fire of course.

Of course they're both extremely gimmicky characters, if you could even call them characters, but I assume I had just discovered visual comedy and was having a go at it.

I assume we're talking about roleplay in general and not necessarily the formal text-based version that is the trend on here. I remember pretending to be monster hunters on the first day of being at a new school in first grade and describing what our characters and the monsters looked like. It was pretty funny because we weren't just monster hunters, we were monster monster hunters, not that we found that ironic at all. I had to characters that I remember vividly pretending to be. One was like a giant metallic version of one of those robot dogs that were popular in the 2000's which could essentially open up the sidedoors up to it's inners and rotate a cylinder to produce basically any gadget you could think of. I remember describing opening up and working like a fridge, essentially. The other was a dinosaur much alike a dimetrodon (as dinosaur books were kiddie-coke to me back then) that could put his hand behind his back and produce anything. Oh, and breathe fire of course.

Of course they're both extremely gimmicky characters, if you could even call them characters, but I assume I had just discovered visual comedy and was having a go at it.

I'm talking about rp characters, rather than play pretend characters. So not necessarily text based, but also tabletop, larp, etc. (And no, playing pretend doesn't count as larp.) mostly because most of us were probably playing pretend before we can even remember, and the process of making a character is more an unconscious one than a deliberate choice.

That sounds hella fun though. XD

My first RP is a fantasy one and what do you know: my first character is a devil. It's probably because there was a lot of warriors and knights when I joined, but I wanted to play something different and ended up making my devil a magic lawyer that use magic using contracts. He ends up as the strongest character around because he steals the demon king 'Chaos' magic but looking back, he's not as bad as the first OCs of others and I feel pretty good with that.

My first RP is a fantasy one and what do you know: my first character is a devil. It's probably because there was a lot of warriors and knights when I joined, but I wanted to play something different and ended up making my devil a magic lawyer that use magic using contracts. He ends up as the strongest character around because he steals the demon king 'Chaos' magic but looking back, he's not as bad as the first OCs of others and I feel pretty good with that.

Isn't this "Dark Side Made Flesh"? You should add your vote.

My first (and currently "main") character was a female wolf named Shadow. This is her now updated design but she used to be just a plain grey wolf with purple eyes and is now continiously obtains nee markings as she grows older in roleplays!

I have this weird thing where if something happens to one of my characters in a roleplay (e.g. they gain a permanent scar), I keep it as a canon part of their design and make them have it in every roleplay from that point forward, either not remember how they got it or remembering very very vaguely what happened with as less detail as I can. I'm the first person I know to actually do that by the way lol

PNG-image-49.png

My first RP character was just a self insert who wielded the Legendary Sword Blazefire. It was a one on one battle type RP. It was epic.

Back in highschool, I discovered a season of digimon that I hadn't yet known existed (Data Squad / Savers), and binged it over a couple of days. That event rekindled my love for the series that I had been keeping down due to embarassment, and lead to me search for somewhere where I could share ideas about it. What I came across, pretty much by pure coincidence, was my first roleplaying forum, dedicated entirely to digimon. After learning the rules and system I was utterly hooked.

My first character was called "Scrapdramon", an original digimon and one of the first and last characters that I ever attempted to make my own art for. Strangely enough I still find that character to be a very good one even by my current standards, having a fleshed out and multidimensional personality, interesting and well-balanced abilities (granted, I probably can't take full credit for those as the site's own system probably contributed to regulating the balance), and a decent backstory and motivation. I even still like to read some of my posts from back then. The character has a lot of hallmarks common in my current character design too, from personality aspects (being curious, easily embarassed and continually misunderstanding things or being clumsy) to powerset (lots of crowd control-style abilities).

I voted in the "the weirdest thing you could think off" category, because while I wasn't actively trying to make him weird, he was pretty weird. A creature naturally covered in bandages so lacking in typical common sense and preconceived standards that they were defensive of their comfy spot on a garbage-filled river and thought of said garbage as an exquisite meal.

This is not to say there no embarassing screw-ups with the character though. Any who knows digimon knows about the concept of a digimon evolving, and let's just say that making a wise mentor type character with future sight powers needs a ton more coordination than I realized before attempting it...

My first rp character was Voldemort. I guess that falls under "dark side"? Lol
And my first OC was also a villain. He was some sadistic emperor who burned villages and tortured enemies. And somehow fell in love with the person who came to kill him for revenge... yes that was romance rp.

Yeah, I suppose most of my first characters were all the dark side.

Funny enough, once I got over that phase, I don't play villains at all. My first tabletop happened 2 years ago and I was already a paladin XD

My first character, from when I was nine, was a anthropromorphic green rabbit named Jessebell and that is all I can remember of her. My friends and I roleplayed in lined notebooks with writing and awful little comics.
Good times. Good fucking times.

My first rp was an original rp where my character was a human that had been kidnapped, (I think? It’s foggy on how they got there I’ve been rping for awhile lmao), chained to another human Trapped in an abandoned amusement park while demons fucked with them for entertainment. I distinctly remember that death was on the table for all ocs.

I however had known enough to worry about op characters so my answer? I accidentally mega underdeveloped my character. Her name was Dakota (something/ surname lost to time) and her personality could be summed up to Kind, Family person, vegetarian.

Yeah lol my first characters weren’t the greatest and we’re pretty dull. I think it stayed that way til I got fed up w peeps trying to overbalance the gender ratios for romance and decided to go ham with a very gay very sassy asshole male. (Which is Still one of my fav types to write because it was mega fun)

I'm pretty sure my first ever rp character was a girl name Vivienne. She was an emotion spirit that represented love. She had the pink hair and I made her resemble Pearl from Steven Universe. The hair style and body type mainly. She went around loving people, trusting them easily, protected others, and never envied.

However, she was murdered and reincarnated into a broken spirit that was combined with fear, disloyalty, selfishness, and anger. Her hair turned gray. The more she remembered her last life and the people who used her, the more broken she would become.

I dont remember much of it besides that. But I think the rp was going to be something like her never going back to her original form- but working through her feelings. Accepting the past and moving on towards new people, situations, and opportunities.

Man, that took me down memory lane of years ago lol.

it was a warrior cats roleplay on roblox. my character was named skyheart and she was pretty much a direct rip-off of fireheart/star, except she was a girl and was sky blue. she was really boring and there honestly isn't much to say about her. my later characters were more interesting, though probably worse than her. they at least have entertainment value in their badness. skyheart was just diet fireheart and nothing else.

My first ever roleplay character was made while I was listening to music by "Sonata Arctica" and reading "log horizon". He was named Kurt Leo Thatcher he was just a "regular dude" or at least tried to seem like it since he had superpowers but he just couldn't care less about them he just wanted a simple normal life. And if I remember right he only had 3 powers:
The first one was the ability to create a foothold in the air (airwalk).
The second one was blade making ability (he could just wish any bladed weapon into existence and it just appeared in his hands ).
The third one was sub-zero imbuement as in he could make anything he touched emit an aura that emitted sub-zero temperature (basically make things emit cold with the temperature of absolute zero).
Yeah. That's about it the roleplay itself lasted for about 2 years with a small activity of about 10 posts a month per person.

I got dragged into roleplay through cybering, though I didn't partake in it. They were much alike the Lich King.

Good discussion topic!

My #1 was a mercenary speedster in a realistic superpower RP. He was dark and serious, from a special forces background where he'd done bad shit for the govt. He'd worked in a covert unit of supes for hire and done assassinations & government toppling, all that good stuff. He'd retired to private contracting with criminals and got involved with the normal heroes through circumstance. One big trait with him was his drawback, he needed drugs to keep his mind fast enough for his body. Cocaine and adderall were the main two he used. His substance issues were a focus.

The character wasn't that bad but the writing was ass. It's on RPN under a different account, found it two months ago and wow, holy before and after lol. Not a horror story of self insertion, patting myself on the back a little.... Though I did do that a few times after so I can't say shit 😂

Proud of my #1, he was solid. I tried to use the concept again but that RP died like the first. RIP

It hurts just to think about it. The details are fuzzy of course because it's been years but he was definitely a stereotypical edgelord character. He was made for some Naruto RP, had some kind of blood jutsu junk and died in a suicide attack within 10 posts I'm sure. He was also absurdly young for what he was I think. I'd like to put that far far behind me, but maybe it's not the worst first character someone has ever made.

Oh man, it was back in 2011 when I was in middle school playing a racing anime game called Talesrunner and joined a RP group on their forum. It was a high school setting so of course, I had to make a rich girl who was involved with the Yakuza who also happened to run the local night scene in the town. Although I have many regrets about how I created that character it pushed me further to like RPs.

My first RP character was a super edgy black world named Kassadya who had red eyes. She would often think so much that I would actually forget to respond to dialogue in the RP because I was so caught up in my own writing. I was firmly on the edgy side of characters for most of the beginning of my RP career.

Aimee she was a succubus with social anxiety who ate people’s Physical energy not sexual energy.

I might revamp her the concept wasn’t half bad...the execution was cringe city.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back