Experiences What was your first rp? :3

Oh gawd. My first was some kinds of fantasy wolf rp in this one site used by kids and teenagers mostly. Like virtual horse stable. There was rp section and it literally went like:

* rolling my eyes * .. etc.. So so bad.

Nobody ever got hit in a battle and either you got killed fast or you were godmodding, choose one.

It was some Yugioh Duel Academy thing - one of a bajillion on Yugioh Card Maker.

It's sort of a vague memory, but I think it had to do with superpowered teenagers? I mostly wrote this to share that, yesterday, I found an 87 page list of characters last edited in 2012, and wow was it a rollercoaster XD Suuuuper cringey!!

Oof. My first RP was back in the yahoo chat days hah. I even remember my first character, Mikiel. Was inclined to fantasy types moreso than others. Also had a neko character. -Facepalm-

For reference, I joined this site on July 29, 2016. (I keep having to look that up LOL)

My first roleplay was a Fairy Tail "club" I was invited to join on MyAnimeList - to this day I still have no idea why the leader invited me there or why I joined, but I thought, "Why not?" Once I realized roleplaying was basically what I'd been doing constantly for four years already (writing!), I thought it was great. Unfortunately, that club died within a week, I Googled "roleplay on Skype" because I'd talked a friend into doing something Fairy Tail with me (not that we did), and... here I came.

When I joined RPN, I'd only been roleplaying for about two weeks and felt woefully under-experienced. To this day, it's the reason I feel self-conscious when I see people say they've been doing it for 10+ years. ^^" [if we're counting those two weeks, I've only been doing it for about four years]

Although technically I guess my first technical roleplay was with my best friend when we would play Power Rangers during recess. We took that game all too seriously, now that I think about it... WAIT A SECOND WHY HAVEN'T I TALKED HIM INTO COMING ON HERE-

Edit: Don't get me STARTED on the Warriors clans on Animal Jam. Now THAT was an experience... >_>
"she raised her apex"
APEX DOES NOT MEAN "HEAD" DAMMIT

I am sure it was not my first RP, but the most early experience that I can remember was years and years ago. I have no idea how it started, but everyone in the room changed to wrestlers and we had a massive Royal Rumble. When someone got eliminated, they logged out, changed name and came back in.

Was crazy, manic and I absolutely loved it.

"she raised her apex"
APEX DOES NOT MEAN "HEAD" DAMMIT

omg, I had never heard this one before. XD I love RP-only vocabulary, like "tiers" for lips, and "optics" for eyes. There's something terrible and yet fascinating about it. You can see where they got the word "apex" for head from (a thesaurus, lol) because yessss in some circumstances you could use those words interchangeably. But not in this one. XD

My first RP was just freeform anything-goes stuff on Yahoo chat. The first one that had any coherence, iirc, was my character, a guy who was from a fantasy race of immortal-ish humans I invented and a girl he liked who was basically ... a dead goth with a lace parasol. They would eat scones and drink absinthe together.

The only "action" I remember happening was when someone wanted to beat him up (people randomly starting fights happened all the time, and I have no idea why this one occured but it was possible that I was being a smart aleck), and he used magic to escape, with some heavy foreshadowing as he set up his magic that the thug didn't notice at all. Thug's player was super mad.

oh dang ! i love this !

my first roleplay ever was a school for upcoming criminals . people with bad backgrounds that wanted to get good at being bad . a friend of mine asked if i liked roleplay , and honestly at the time i didn't know what that was ? and all of the sudden i was a d d i c t e d . albeit my character's where terrible for awhile there , writing was subpar at best . my character was just too much angst even for themselves . but yknow what it was fun , a good memory . i feel so bad the gm actually asked me and my hardcore rp bud to move to a different topic because we just responded so much faster than everybody else ( most people had left already and we where just going with this storyline it was great )

My first-ever roleplay experience? It had to be somewhere on the line of being apart of the LEGO Ninjago fandom, back in the year of 2011. When I was given permission to use social media, my initial instinct was to use Instagram. At least, at the time, it seemed Instagram was the popular social media platform that everyone was beginning to use, so I had faith that creating an account that was addressed to the fandom of choice would lead me to find other individuals who share the same interests.

I remember the roleplay concept pretty vividly. The concept was a mixture between LEGO Ninjago and Jurassic Park, as the gal I roleplayed with preferred Jurassic Park over LEGO Ninjago, yet participated in both fandoms. It was a one-on-one session, with the literacy of the roleplay being rather illiterate at first, then progressed to semi-literate/literate. As for characters, we included characters from the plot of LEGO Ninjago, our own developed characters, and a variety of dinosaurs found within the Jurassic Park series.
The plot of my first roleplay was invested into a nonspecific temple that apparently relied on being in the middle of nowhere to remain secretive, however, constantly was attacked while our OC's or characters from LEGO Ninjago were training/breeding dinosaurs.
To go into detail with out characters and overall character development? That had to be an overall trainwreck, as the outcome of the characters concluded with the characters becoming "too powerful for their own good", in which, at the time, would have been considered 'Mary Sue' characters.

I can honestly state that the entirety of the roleplay was rather flawed and would be a pretty good example of what NOT to do when it comes to roleplaying.
Since then, I have certainly learned new mechanisms towards addressing certain roleplaying concepts, as well to effectively develop a new character and provide constant energy!

I feel like my first was something involving MSN and a few people I knew IRL. I also have vague recollections of writing stories back and forth on paper in elementary school which I suppose would also count? But I can’t remember clearly enough to give any details.
The first ones that I can really remember were on chickensmoothie. I’d gotten into the whole ‘art adoptable characters’ thing and ‘closed species’ (basically an artist coming up with a fictional species—usually animalistic—and designing them on a base to be adopted out) which was my introduction to forum roleplaying.
But most memorable for me from that time were Warrior cat roleplays and wolf pack roleplays.
I still love both of those things, but oh boy were my characters cringey back then 😂 I have oodles of good memories of other ones from then as well... painful to try and read back over them, but still give me the warm fuzzies to see how far I’ve come in writing ❤️

oh lord...
let's just say it might have been on roblox. i'm pretty sure it was about this witch girl and this demon guy. they fell in love and then he ends up taking her soul back to this thing called "the farm." it was a place in hell where they harvested souls to feed on. the plot was actually pretty neat considering it was on roblox and I was like 14 :/
i'm still shocked with the fact i used pronouns and quotations instead of asterisks i guess it was pretty fun.

but boy, do i remember talking shit about those common rpers.
ha...the good old days.

First ever RP was a weird mishmash of stuff. I was basically a street fighter character and my partner was a samurai and we fought an Evangelion-type monster that kept throwing buses and cars at us. It was an epic single line chat action RP. I've been trying to chase that excitement I first had ever since.

First ever RP was a weird mishmash of stuff. I was basically a street fighter character and my partner was a samurai and we fought an Evangelion-type monster that kept throwing buses and cars at us. It was an epic single line chat action RP. I've been trying to chase that excitement I first had ever since.

This brings back memories! Remember when chat RP was like this all the time? XDDD
Did you (and anyone else) ever read Elf Only Inn (webcomic) or USER (DC comics) because those two really encapsulated what those days of chaotic chat RP were like.

It was super fun but I can't see myself going back. I like consistency and actual ... ya know ... stories.

This brings back memories! Remember when chat RP was like this all the time? XDDD
Did you (and anyone else) ever read Elf Only Inn (webcomic) or USER (DC comics) because those two really encapsulated what those days of chaotic chat RP were like.

It was super fun but I can't see myself going back. I like consistency and actual ... ya know ... stories.

RP chat was wild! Landing an RP that’s well thought out and has good depth and story definitely wins, but I do like how accessible those chats were back in the days. It was also so improv and real time that I never knew what was going to happen next lol.

I remember making a knight character that became a cyborg who used his motorcycle to travel back in time to slam said motorcycle into a giant butterfly demon — because that was the only way to kill it for some reason?? And all of that happened in a one hour session lol.

I’ve heard of Elf Only Inn but not USER. I’ll have to check those out!

My first rp was legit with a girl who was obsessed with Eveline from RE7 and a guy who's OC was a member of this company called Dimcorp. This other person was a engineer called Madison and it was a fucking mess. One time we did a sonic 06 rp and had Laura *(X-23) kill Engman and Donald Pierce was in it too. Another time we had the Dimcorp OC face his evil twin and had a lot of half life gadgets. I also rped carmen rider not knowing what the fuck I'm doing.

i was 11 and found a website for virtual horse breeding and stuff, and for some reason they had a rp section? my first rp was probably in the naruto universe. both oc's and characters from the series.
very cringey one-liners, yikes

By chance was this website Howrse? Just wondering because that's where I started and it sounds similar. If not, sorry for bothering you!

Oh! By the way,
I was 10 and it was a Warrior Cats rp. I was super obsessed with the books at the time and loved the idea of writing "my own version". I was trash, to be completely blunt. One liners consisting of maybe 5-10 words and the MOST generic characters. (Always had to be the prettiest cat, yk) I made a ton of friends though! Probably wasn't the best idea looking back. I revealed a lot of personal information to strangers. Live and learn I guess!

Last edited:
It was on a game called Free Realms. Was about 10 or 11. Roleplayed werewolves and vampires that were gods too. Oh lord, I loved it but gosh it was cringe. Asterisks asterisks asterisks! Also used character emojis in the game and dressed our characters in the Halloween werewolf costumes from the premium currency shop haha. Then I moved slowly to forum roleplay.

My rp journey started on twitter (I know, right) and, as many of us have, I started with a terrible anime cat girl oc. Those were horrible times of one sentence posts and stuff that my tiny self thought was cool. However, as much as I'm ashamed of it now, it's actually kind of cool to see how much you can grow in, well, less than a decade. Makes you wonder where you'll be as a writer in five, ten, fifteen years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back