TV & Film What was your first Horror movie you watched

katybug1314

Elder Member
I love Halloween. I have so many happy memories with my family when it comes to this time of year. Lots of scares and fun. I was one of those kids who never had a store bought costume and most of our Halloween decorations were homemade or the awesome ones from the 70s. When I was 10 I wanted to watch The Ring. It had just come out on DVD. My mom wouldn't let me unless I watched a Horror movie she saw in the theaters when she was younger. That movie was The Exorcist. I made it through and so began my love of Horror movies.

My first Horror movie was Friday the 13th. I was about 10 years old and I have loved the horror genre ever since. My favorite all time Horror movie is Halloween.

I was never into horror movies, but I think my first one could have been The Omen. or at least that was one of the first ones I watched. I watched it because it was considered classic of horror movies so I was curious.

My first Horror was the origional John Carpenters "The Thing" at the ripe old age of 5 curtisy of a elder brother, and on a unrelated topic coincided with a sudden fear of dogs for several years afterwards.

My first Horror was the origional John Carpenters "The Thing" at the ripe old age of 5 curtisy of a elder brother, and on a unrelated topic coincided with a sudden fear of dogs for several years afterwards.
Same here! The first horror movie I can remember is the Thing! The practical effects in that movie are so amazing. I didn't sleep well for a few days after seeing it. I watch it around every Halloween with friends who have never seen it. If you're a gamer and have an old Xbox, you should totally check out the game.

I do recall playing the game, it was novel at the start be remember it being nothing special, kinda like alot of the games based of a movie property very few are games i would consider great. If i recall correctly there was a constant issue of having to check every body for Things that got a bit tedius

Yep, that's it! I remember that infection mechanic and the fear mechanic as well. I don't know why, but tedious games sort of appeal to me. I think that says a lot about me as a person, lol. Nothing compared to how great that movie was, but I enjoyed it.

Yeah i guess for me its just not all movies translate well into games, particularly Horror genres without making them there own thing.
If i had to pick a game that reminded me of the Thing that i liked i would go with Dead Space.

The Ring when it first came out in cinemas! I was probably about 9 or 10 years old and my uncle and his gf (who were visiting from Ireland) brought my sister and myself to the midnight viewing

The first (and only because I'm a big wuss) is Sweeney Todd. Does that count as a horror movie? I think it does. It has a lot of blood and murder and dark topics.

I was scared of horror movies for a LONG time, so my first one had been the Seed of Chucky when I was like nine or ten. After I stopped being afraid of the killer doll, I kinda just started to really like watching it, along with other horror films lol

Not 100% sure, but it was likely either The Shining, The Omen, or Chucky. My parents used to watch horror movies, and I'd watch along as a young, impressionable thing. I think a fair amount of went over my head. I also have super vague memories of people getting murdered by lions in a movie.

Happy Feet (that one penguin movie) scared the piss out of me when I first watched it (I was like 4) and I don't think I'll ever recover from that level of horror.

Actual horror movie in the horror genre was The Ring. Was also kinda young, and I still cried, but it didn't give me as many nightmares as Happy Feet.

Super funny that yours was the Exorcist. I came here to mention it actually. My first wasn't The Exorcist, but it WAS the first to actually, truly, terrify me. Had to sleep with my mom for months, and with my light on for even longer. My first was probably The Lost Boys, though that is def more Thriller than Horror.

Texas chainsaw massacre, I love a bit of leather face. Then soon came children of the corn. I still can't watch that film to this day

The first SAW movies. I was watching it with two (or three) of my older cousins when they came over to stay the night when I was younger. We watched them back-to-back for the entire night, It's a fun memory I think.

My first horror movies I watched was Chucky. One day, I came into the living and my parents popped a movie in and I sat on the couch and watched. After that came Halloween, Scream, and Friday the 13th.

The woman in black. I was fourteen back then and couldn't sleep for the next two weeks XD

Does Tim Burton's "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" count as a horror movie? It's got plenty of gore and blood and stuff... I saw when I was between the ages of 11 and 13; when I started my singing lessons with my first singing coach (who was an opera singer, irony hehh...). And my mom got me the DVD, lol. That was my first horrifying film, for me though. I had nightmares for a long time, but I also loved it. And I guess "Crimson Peak"? Maybe "Coraline" (although I don't consider it as terrifying as Sweeney Todd and definitely not Crimson Peak, but that's just me...)? I'm not sure. Someone just tell me if Sweeney Todd counts, lolz! *Awkward yet cute anime girl expression*

First horror movie was a local movie called Shake, Rattle and Roll. It's like an anthology: three stories in one movie. I was particularly scared with that one story where a girl goes to stay with her friend in a remote village not knowing that the entire village was populated by cannibalistic Aswang. There was one scene there where she finally outran the villagers and took refuge in the ruins of church as the Aswang surrounds her but is unable to grab her since they can't enter holy places. She mocks the monsters since they can't enter but the monsters just scoffed that she can't come out either.

For the more well-known titles, I have to say the 1979 Salem's Lot. I'll still rank it as my scariest vampire film. The 'open the window' scene was very scary to my younger self. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back