Video Games What was the most disappointing game you ever played?

We were so excited to play that, didn’t even end up getting it, I remember so many people irl were also excited. Nothing but disappointment and sad reactions since day one.
I think something Critikal said sums everyone’s feelings up pretty well: (first eight seconds)

I'm just gonna make myself a target for universal hatred and say Elden Ring. I just expected so much more.

I'm just gonna make myself a target for universal hatred and say Elden Ring. I just expected so much more.
I was just about to come into this thread and say the exact same thing. Elden Ring really left me disappointed once the feeling of "new" settled. Well before that too, truthfully.
The world was neat, but the actual gameplay itself left me me wanting something more.

DS3 and Bloodborne remain undefeated for me

I was just about to come into this thread and say the exact same thing. Elden Ring really left me disappointed once the feeling of "new" settled. Well before that too, truthfully.
The world was neat, but the actual gameplay itself left me me wanting something more.

DS3 and Bloodborne remain undefeated for me
I'm convinced the reason it got such great reviews is the fact reviewers get pretty limited time to spend with a game and you just can't notice all the repetitiveness and uninspired decisions in 30 or even 60 hours. I wasn't particularly excited even at the start but that was probably because I wasn't in the best place mentally at the time, but once the dust settled it just left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Copypasted dungeons, excessive repeating of the same bosses, even the unique bosses often have pretty interchangeable movesets and it didn't bring that much new to the table.
Now don't get me wrong, "Dark Souls: More Of It" is not a format I'm against on principle, but that's not even what this is. Dark Souls 3 had memorable bosses that didn't really repeat (I might be forgetting some exception but if it does exist it is an exception). The world was carefully crafted to reward you for going everywhere, no "here's 5000 acres of a forest with nothing really in it". I'm just not a fan of giant open worlds in general because they tend to end up feeling empty, and ER was better than most in that regard but still suffering from a lot of the same issues.

I'm convinced the reason it got such great reviews is the fact reviewers get pretty limited time to spend with a game and you just can't notice all the repetitiveness and uninspired decisions in 30 or even 60 hours. I wasn't particularly excited even at the start but that was probably because I wasn't in the best place mentally at the time, but once the dust settled it just left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Copypasted dungeons, excessive repeating of the same bosses, even the unique bosses often have pretty interchangeable movesets and it didn't bring that much new to the table.
Now don't get me wrong, "Dark Souls: More Of It" is not a format I'm against on principle, but that's not even what this is. Dark Souls 3 had memorable bosses that didn't really repeat (I might be forgetting some exception but if it does exist it is an exception). The world was carefully crafted to reward you for going everywhere, no "here's 5000 acres of a forest with nothing really in it". I'm just not a fan of giant open worlds in general because they tend to end up feeling empty, and ER was better than most in that regard but still suffering from a lot of the same issues.
Also don't even get me started on some of their choices for boss design. I am looking directly at Malenia ......

Fallout 4 was pretty disappointing but still playable.

Stronghold Crusader 2 was hot garbage, could barely look at it.

A really bad one for me was Blood 2. Sequel to a fantastic Build Engine game, it is, as CIVVIE 11 would say, using Gordon Ramsey clips "IT'S FUCKIN RAW!" The damage is broken, the story makes no goddamn sense, Most of the guns, are complete ass. There's so much wrong with it, and literally no explanation for half of the things. God, it pisses me off.

Wild Arms 4 for sure. I have minor issues with the hex battle system introduced into the series. However, the way the ending was written disappointed me. The way the plot is structured around themes of family and close knit relationships.

Then the ending ruined it for me and the characters never see each other again in the 10 years. You would think they’d care for each other after going through a lot together and the story centers around them having a bond. I disliked it.

I’ll probably get downvoted for this but Final Fantasy 15 specifically Ardyn as the game’s final boss. He was too easy in my opinion the super bosses were harder than he was. The dread behemoths are difficult.

Binding of Isaac. I'd heard great things and I really like roguelikes so I was excited to try it, but I didn't look that hard into it when I bought it and did not expect it to be so absolutely disgusting with the aesthetics. Not my cup of tea.

Ahh as much as I like the Wild Arms series. I have to say Wild Arms 2. My issue is with one of the secret bosses. It’s not fun when only two characters can survive his 7th moon but barely. I put my best healer on invisible using her on stand by because the boss at some point likes to spam 7th moon which takes a large chunk of your health. I did not like having to cheese the fight to win.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

It's not a bad game, but I found myself getting bored of it pretty quickly. I can't do much because my stamina is crap, but to get more stamina I have to do the shrines, and I found the shrines repetitive and boring. The game is not LoZ enough to be LoZ for me, and it's not Elder Scrolls enough to be an Elder Scrolls game, if that makes sense.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

It's not a bad game, but I found myself getting bored of it pretty quickly. I can't do much because my stamina is crap, but to get more stamina I have to do the shrines, and I found the shrines repetitive and boring. The game is not LoZ enough to be LoZ for me, and it's not Elder Scrolls enough to be an Elder Scrolls game, if that makes sense.
This! I dislike how the weapons aren’t durable.. and the rain..

Skyrim.
I REALLY wanted to love it, but I couldn't get myself into it.
Honestly, I don't blame you, and this is coming from someone with over 2,000 hours in Skyrim. I used ot be able to play it for days on end, but it just sorta feels...empty to me now. I'd rather play shorter, more story rich RPGs like Dragon Age nowadays

Honestly, I don't blame you, and this is coming from someone with over 2,000 hours in Skyrim. I used ot be able to play it for days on end, but it just sorta feels...empty to me now. I'd rather play shorter, more story rich RPGs like Dragon Age nowadays
It looked pretty and was really good when it first came out, but in some ways it hasn't aged so well.

Halo Infinite

Felt like a damn Ubisoft open word game.

Most recently, Werewolf: The Apocalypse. I was hoping to lick my wounds over the delay of Bloodlines 2, with what I hoped would be a quality WoD title to tide me over.

No such luck. Subpar graphics, a poorly written/fleshed out storyline, and repetitive combat mechanics. Mass Effect: Andromeda is a close second for similar reasons.

Most recently, Werewolf: The Apocalypse. I was hoping to lick my wounds over the delay of Bloodlines 2, with what I hoped would be a quality WoD title to tide me over.

No such luck. Subpar graphics, a poorly written/fleshed out storyline, and repetitive combat mechanics. Mass Effect: Andromeda is a close second for similar reasons.
Was super disappointed with Earthblood. I love Werewolf The Apocalypse and was extremely let down with the game's treatment of the system and setting.

Was super disappointed with Earthblood. I love Werewolf The Apocalypse and was extremely let down with the game's treatment of the system and setting.

That makes both of us! I love the lore and setting for most of the WoD franchises, and I was really hoping Earthblood would take off/be a solid revival for the franchise. But it was completely mishandled, I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back