Experiences What was one roleplay that you enjoyed a lot that is gone now?

So in short, we should get off your lawn?
nah, I've no disillusions that it's my lawn. Not anymore. I am the paltry minority here, now. lol

People like me already had our Golden Age of RP.

Fairly certain you're using the word disillusions wrong. I think the word you're looking for is delusions.
yeah, sorry. I'm typing and eating, and corralling my 4-year old into eating HIS food all at the same time

Yes! I've actually vented out on this notion before.

These years, everyone gets on board with these trends of ideas, that are essentially just copies of some popular series or movie. I'v noticed it time and time again, where a subject matter comes in waves, and it usually has to do with some new season or recent movie that came out. So all he ideas people put out tend to be kind of the same. And when you do kick back to some old-school charm, no one can relate. I mean, half the fandoms I'm into are over 40 years old. So there's that. And the sci-fi things I like, are from a perspective of yesteryear that seems almost crude when compared to newer sci-fi concepts. Concerning fantasy, my take is more in line with the depictions of Boris Vallejo than (insert trendy anime here). So again, peeps don't readily relate. But that's the way the cookie crumbles. I have no misconceptions that I've outgrown the communal interests. As such, my participation has greatly waned over the years.
I mean, don't loop me into the category of not liking fandoms lol. I enjoy all sorts of role plays. I'm part of a few :P It's just an observation.
Another reason role plays that may have been interesting in my day are dying out is because the world is just going through a major shift. I accept that a huge demographic of the world needs an escape. (The pandemic messed a lot of things up. ) You can't demand content that the masses are not going to be interested in. Especially when there is a lot of turmoil going on in the world right now and the nets are so much darker now. Access to instant communication is very easy. I'm just not as resistant or disgruntled about it these days as I used to be. Just accepting and surrendering and mourning. But! There is always writing a novel as an option.

So, when I say I feel you. I relate to your mourning period but all things sort of phase-out.

It's early this is rambling but I wanted to add that point as well.

I mean, don't loop me into the category of not liking fandoms lol.
I didnt mean to loop you into anything. I make no assumptions of what you are and are not into. Was more just stating my own stance in the matter. ;-)

Another reason role plays that may have been interesting in my day are dying out is because the world is just going through a major shift. I accept that a huge demographic of the world needs an escape. (The pandemic messed a lot of things up. )
Ive been off and on of RPing for 20+ years... 24? 25?... tbh, I forget how long now. I used to keep better track, but it's so fickle now that it's hardto figure out what my "on" time even is anymore. And I've seen the slow change. It's nothing unexpected, and nothing that I even should be surprised over. why would a 16 year old have an interest in fandoms they didnt grow up with? The new blood will abviously have interests in the new shows/movies/books/etc. And they share information differenty than I did growing up. Hell, I remember when my elementary school actually got their computer lab. Big, chunky beige boxes with black screens and actual "Floppy" Disks. I didnt even know what the internet WAS until I was in the 4th or 5th grade.

You can't demand content that the masses are not going to be interested in.
This is the story of my life. I"m not even exaggerating when I say that the vast majority of what I'm interested in (nd the way I'm interested in it) are rarely, and I mean RAREly on the same jive as whats popular.

For example, I'm currently on month 4 of trying to find a space opera video game with great character creation and an open-world environment. And NOT military in nature. Think of something like Fallout or Skyrim, but in space-faring flavor with aliens. this game literally does not exist. People keep suggesting Mass Effect or Star Wars, which are not even close. This is me with so many interests. It gets rather frustrating after a while.

Especially when there is a lot of turmoil going on in the world right now and the nets are so much darker now. Access to instant communication is very easy. I'm just not as resistant or disgruntled about it these days as I used to be. Just accepting and surrendering and mourning. But! There is always writing a novel as an option.

So, when I say I feel you. I relate to your mourning period but all things sort of phase-out.

It's early this is rambling but I wanted to add that point as well.

I've tried writing my own stories on my own. Believ me, Ive tried. but I lack the self motivation to actually finish anything. I have so many pieces and parts of things I have started writing. From characters to world builds to just skeletons of plots and ideas. None of it gets anywhere. and now as a mom, i have even less time to even entertain the notion trying to achieve something like that

but now I'm rambling. and its 4 in the morning. So im gonna go to bed. lol

You should try it. It's actually a lot easier than it sounds. You just have to build a structure. I had to do like vast amounts of reading and research before I could get the science of writing a novel-like story out. I have yet to complete something totally but I've come close. There are even like great tools and sheets from etsy of all places. I can't believe I've learned the most there. But this is diverting from the natural topic. (oops)

No problem buddy, I wasn't upset just its easy to present you agree with someone completely without being specific.
It is early and that makes one very prone to rambling.

Have a good day! =)

Did you know you can get a degree in it? That's what I'm going for.
Yes! I did and I've had friends go to film school before. They had a blast. Loved every minute of it!
You'll love it and it teaches a lot of tools
I was roped into a lot of their projects and it was super fun but I'm not an actor by any means lmao

Well, well, well it's been 13 maybe 12 years since the end of my favourite RP. It was hosted on a site that cannot be found anymore for it's been down since 2013.
On said site, many RP's were played all of them were the adventure in another world kind of deal, because of many GM being overwhelmed with IRL things and a lot of RP's being in a standstill, we cooperated with said GM's and settled on a idea.
We will "steal" said character from where they are, and put them in "our" RP, it was set on a giant continent surrounded by nothing but a void along with a barrier.
Said continent contained all of the possible 'biomes', a rain forest, a arctic area, a volcano etc. there was some ruins a demon castle and other points of interest.

Said characters which were "stolen" appeared in a middle of a camp within the thick forest, around them stood many powerful monsters and people.
Then they heard [It seems all of you are awake now, listen closely since i wont repeat myself. The god of your respective world is in poor condition and to preserve your life we teleported you here. What is here you might ask? Its called Adventurer Boot Camp, ABC for short, and we are your teachers, when you end your training you will return to your world or when the god of said world feels better enough to handle your antics.

There were 21 GM in this RP each of us handled some of the people that were there, we ended up in a situation where each GM handled 7/8 people, as we had a total of 150 players.
It was running for 4 years with people coming and going, a lot of people had fun, learned about others since they normally wouldn't interact with each other since they were in different RP's.
And yes there were things like stats and abilities, and the GM's we took the players from agreed that said players can keep whatever they gain here.

That rp is something i wont forget ever.I even got a hold of the owners of said website where we rp'ed and got a copy of the rp.
so it sits now on my computer, and I'm slowly and surely rewriting it into one solid thing as a tale of a group of people.....

Alternatively, try screenwriting. The same result with half the words.
words are my forte though (writing samples: #1, and #2 and #3). The descriptors are where my writing style flourishes. World building, character creation. Even Maps. The plot... not so much. lol. I enjoy all the scene setting and action sequences. My problem isnt that I dont like all the writing. My problem is that I ultimately lose focus and drive to continue in the long run. What keeps me writing is group participation. Hence why I gravitate to Group RPs. When its all on me, i inevitably get bored, stall out, and then start on some new idea just to repeat the process.

Last edited:
I got some and all of them are from other sites since I just joined last month. So I'll try to go in Chronological order and list RPGs that I didn't create-

Yahoo Groups-

A Universe of Wonders (corny name I know but we were in our late teens lol)- RPG lasted from 2001-2006. Most successful RPG group I was a part of, having completed one Story and got 3/4ths through with another. 1st arc was about a group of teens (we a few of them were technically older but they looked like teens) who were tasked to save the universe. 2nd arc was their kids and a new generation charged with saving the universe. Old cast was still there for back up.

Roleplay Gateway-

Devil- Prince of the Devil Kingdom travels to Earth, having fallen for a human there just by observing her. He brings with him his best friend and his bodyguard and tries adapting to Earth. The human teen he falls for also has two close friends. I played one of the teen's friends and its one of my fav chars to play. The RPG lasted for several months and we even got as far as the 6 chars returning to the "Dark Kingdom" that the demons are from having narrowly escaped danger on Earth. I would reboot this RPG, but sadly I can't get in contact with the original creator so out of respect for her, I'll never reboot this.

Redemption- Takes place in Regency England. Story is about couples that have been reborn over and over in order to try and redeem themselves. Each pair consisted of a mortal woman and a former fallen angel (angels had fallen because they fell in love with humans). They now only have one last chance at redemption to see if they'll end up together forever. I played one of the mortal women who doesn't know that she was cursed in one life to always suffer from miscarriages due to her own infidelity in multiple lives. Even though this rpg never got far, I just loved the concept of it and loved how complex my own char was.

The Right Mistake- A female teen, known for her crazy inventions, while testing a new invention inadvertently turns condiments (salt, pepper, ketchup, and mustard) into hot teenage boys. She invites them to stay with her and the guys eventually start going to the same school as the teen girl and her friends. Another rpg that didn't get far, but had such a funny concept. I ended up playing one of the friends. It was going to be a basic 'slice of life rom com' kind of rpg.

The are others, but these would be ones I miss the most.

Hmm.

There's a lot. I think the one that I liked the most was this one Roleplay, Equinox Valley, that I ran on Discord. It was basically a fever dream of a plot and I'd honestly love to run it again sometime. It was with four other players, all of which were good friends of mine at the time, though our number eventually fell to four before rising again. I basically pitched it as Stardew Valley, but influenced by 1960s American conspiracy theories and what little I know of Stranger Things (which isn't much, but the aesthetic is cool).

It was a sandbox where characters could be any age, any species, etc., but it all took place in our modern world sans coronavirus (this Roleplay happened in April of 2020). The gist is that they were all running away from something and got free room, board, education, and an allowance as long as they protected the town from monsters. Nobody in the past ever historically lived in the role. There was a huge mystery plotline involving human experimentation, magic, and all sorts of other stuff. The most fun came from character drama though.

I don't talk to anyone from that group anymore though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back