Other What type of character do you usually play?

Hmmm...

Sickly characters or weird characters...
(as you can see from my profile pic XD)
It lets me be more creative and unorthodox in my actions and design.
If I make a character...they are bound to have something off about them. I never make a character with a "normal" or good backstory (it is usually not too bad either, it just isn't too good. It is also how I explain the quirks or strange behaviors of a character , whether it is the cause of certain things or the effects.

The morally ambiguous type, not so much a bad guy but someone who knows you can't be everyone's hero all the time. That an act of cruelty might be the best option, not driven to do bad things out of spite, but doesn't shy away from them.

That and experimental characte's something that makes me think about the characters perspective.

I play a vast variety of characters types, but one that I really enjoy playing is the hyper, generally lovable idiot. A very positive person with not too many problems! I find that those kinds of characters can make certain plots quite interesting ~

Most of the time, especially for my more serious characters, I will have some sort of issue(s) or theme(s) that I want to work with in their writing. This might be a personality trait, a political or social ideal, a historical concept, etc. Some examples I can think of that I've used recently are healthy/unhealthy pride, dealing with anxiety, living with a difficult past, the effects of prejudice, cultural and/or political nationalism, abandonment, idealism vs. realism, manipulation, identity, courage and fear, war and rebellion, and quite a few others. Looking through that list, I realise it probably looks like most of my characters are kind of dark, but not really. I really prefer a more optimistic approach (being something of an idealist myself), even when dealing with dark or heavy themes.

Of course, this does have something to do with what sort of story I'm writing them for. Obviously I'm probably not going to bring in as many serious or heavy themes for a casual cute-animal RP than I would for a detailed war/politics one. Generally speaking, though, I usually prefer a good or ambiguous character (I don't really like evil ones), either outrightly kind or gruff/kind, and often with some kind of internal issue that they will have to deal with during the story. Often, this issue will either be something I've experienced myself or one that I'm interested in thinking through (especially in historical settings). Something funny about this is that characters in the former category are more often female, while the latter are more likely to be male, though that's not without exception.

But I find that this 1) makes the character more interesting to me and 2) allows me to work through issues in my own life in a safe environment since mistakes made within a story won't hurt me like mistakes made in real-life might. I can also experiment with different types of characters to work out questions of right/wrong, true/false, healthy/unhealthy, etc. And it's encouraging to me to work with characters that are dealing with issues I can identify with because then, for example, when my brain tells me I shouldn't apply for grad school because somebody will come halfway across the country to murder me if it's not good enough, I can look at a character and say "Well, Saor here probably will be captured and executed if she's ever found, but she's not running away and hiding under a rock, so you can suck it up and do that application!" and somehow it helps. Or maybe I'm just crazy, that's always an option too. (x

Last edited:
Well I use to play a bunch of different types of characters.

I would be that asshole guy, the sweet and innocent girl, or the grizzled veteran with jokes galore.

But recently I've been playing characters with either a physical problem or a mental one. Like I played a character who had severe PTSD and would just have random episodes. Another was a blind girl. To me this gives the ability for character development and it's unique since it is a barrier the character has to beat.

I enjoy playing the mischievous makers, the pranksters, the fools, the scum of society. I enjoy playing characters that just don't give a crap, throwing caution to the wind and living carpe diem! I play the fool, both in real life and roleplay.

1. The Gentleman Edgelord -- always a crowd pleaser!
  2. The Fuckboi who Would Gladly Fuck Himself -- love it when they get their asses handed back to them
  3. The Miserable Nerd -- sometimes overlaps with 1
  4. The Overly Clingy Servant -- typically involved with some important person who wants none of that shit
  5. The Well-Meaning But Kinda Dumb -- sometimes overlaps with 4
And sometimes, when a group RP is filled with snowflakes, I love to play The Average Joe. Their superpower is their blandness and general lack of tragic past.

tbh i live for femme fatales. on the other hand i love playing jokesters and just generally happy characters too. i'm guilty of making my characters tragic, but on the bright side of that i at least leave them with personalities that reflect the trauma, rather than having them just be unfazed.

I have quite a various list of OCs I have created since I was seven years old but I can say that most of them are nowhere near being 'perfect' or 'normal' and are often misunderstood or mistaken for a certain type that they're not. That's what I love the most.

It depends on the RP. But my main character are always female, and mostly 18 or older. The rest has to do honestly with the rp.

the "Little Girl" who is secretly the mentor of the group and usually the intelligent and charismatic face or mascot, who might as well be some kind of nature spirit or some kind of rogue or mage, though rarely a straight up fighter of the brawny and tanky variety. though i have for example subverted this and made the cute female mentor mascot the party tank, generally using things like the essence of bound primordial spirits to enhance one's self or using psychometabolism to reinforce their body and enhance their healing factor. Elemental Magic is also a common tool for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back