Other What to do when you have role play writers block?

cane suga

🌿 garden of eden 🌿
What are somebody things I can do to help role play writers block?

A lot of methods I've tried aren't effective for long.

Last edited:
Honestly, whenener I have writers block I announce it in the OOC, but i still post from time to time. "Sorry guys, writers block. My posts won't be that interesting until it's over. Or even that long. Sorry for that."

In all honesty, it always helps to take a break for a few days. Nothing else, for me.
If I try to overcome it by force, it gets worse, because writing then becomes a chore, not a hobby. And nobody likes doing chores.

Imo the first step would be to deduce what caused your writer's block. Treat the source, not the symptom.

I kind of subscribe to the Kurt Vonnegut view of writers block mostly not being important, in the sense that you write something, edit it, edit it more, edit it even more, edit it even more, and eventually it ends up being something workable.

Sure, it's most fun to write when you feel a flow or inspiration, but honestly, I can't really tell a difference when I look back on things I wrote.

So personally, I just write, as at least for me writers block is usually related to some worry about the quality of my writing.

Usually, I just try to write. Even if it's not good. I can go back and fix it later, but just to get something written is better than nothing.

Some times I try to write through it, but then again I will tell people if I have writers block.

I usually make sure to have material worked out beforehand. I am someone who is a planner by nature, so I try to figure a few things at least ahead of time. I have flashbacks, points for character development etc... all ready for my use whenever it's appropriate or I need to call upon them. Having some work done beforehand can help diminuish the impact of writers block.

In order to overcome it, I'd say revisit whatever brought your hype for what you are doing in the first place. Maybe it will help recover some of it with the nostalgia factor. From professional writers I've also heard the advise as a follows: Never stop writing. Letting yourself sink out of writing is the best way to make sure your writing block ends up worse each time.

I usually make sure to have material worked out beforehand. I am someone who is a planner by nature, so I try to figure a few things at least ahead of time. I have flashbacks, points for character development etc... all ready for my use whenever it's appropriate or I need to call upon them. Having some work done beforehand can help diminuish the impact of writers block.

In order to overcome it, I'd say revisit whatever brought your hype for what you are doing in the first place. Maybe it will help recover some of it with the nostalgia factor. From professional writers I've also heard the advise as a follows: Never stop writing. Letting yourself sink out of writing is the best way to make sure your writing block ends up worse each time.

I guess you could say that you just had a good 'IDEA" To help stop writer's block.

922.jpg

alright fuck this i'm going to bed

I usually listen to some catchy music to get me inspired. Sometimes I meditate or journal my thoughts down on paper so they won't sound so scrambled up like they do in my brain.

What are somebody things I can do to help role play writers block?

A lot of methods I've tried aren't effective for long.

if your Rping a fandom then I would suggest on either watching/reading the Series or reading fanfictions of the fandom to try to get the creative juices flowing. If not then try getting out and read some books, play a game (I unload my fruatrations of being on a Hiatus on Overwatch ["Symmetra's the best! Your Main is Trash!"]) or simply take a relaxing stroll while listening to classical music.

Cry.

In all seriousness though, I’ve found that reading or listening to podcasts help churn those lovely brain juices. Classics are especially a good way to get inspiration. They are, after all, classics.

Go on Google Docs and just write garbage.

Writer's block doesn't mean you don't have any ideas. It just means you don't have good ideas. Write your bad ones. Write absolute shit. Usually, something good comes out if you keep working - you get an idea, or you fill in a boring part that lets you move on to an interesting part. If that doesn't work, I just come up with something absurd, and write as if that were a logical choice.You will generate new ideas for yourself.

I have a few ways to cope with this.

1. Discuss something with rp partners. When you're discussing plot lines or characters it gets stuff going and writing goes easier.
2. Write anyway even if you think your reply is not the best one. Write and complete it. Maybe whatever partner replies to that will fuel your own writing.
2.1. It is essentially a variant of #2. Do free writing. Start writing about whatever. Can be a scene for rp that didn't happen yet, or a bit for a character bio, or just your own 'fanfic' based on rp, or just random stuff not related to rp at all - describe how your day went. When a blank page is no longer blank, it gets easier to write.
3. Apologise to rp partners and say you need a short break. Do something else. Come back to writing.
4. [radical] Apologise to rp partners and quit the rp. Maybe it just doesn't work for you anymore and there is no need to exert yourself. It happens.

I must add that none of that works 100%. Sometime the block just unblocks itself.

Ah, writer's block...

We all get it at some point. What I do when that happens is one of two things. Either I play it safe and have something not too unusual happen on my end concerning the plot, like going to a different setting with the characters (the park, a store, the woods, etc.) where there could potentially be something else going on to create something new to do plotwise. Or I throw something completely different out there, like something awful happened whether it's a death in your character's circle of friends/family, or a big demon came and destroyed half the city. I find that doing something often puts a new twist on things, but that's entirely up to you and your partner(s), depending on the person/people you roleplay with and how they'd feel about you being spontaneous.

But it doesn't always work. Sometimes it creates confusion if done too often, or sometimes you've got partners that may not pull their weight in spontaneity or planning and it makes it hard to pull things forward.

Listen to music, watch movies, read, play video games. One of those outlets eventually gets me in the mood to create characters and worlds to put them in.

It's depends, if it's in the middle of a RP, i warn about it,
if neither are in the middle (or didn't started), i try to listen to my favorites music, watch a movie or serie.

I tend to read other rps and see if I can get any inspiration. I usually fail in the end but that may help you

Well i usually get " super busy and no motivation " version of writers block. So I just let my partners know hey kinda busy and gonna need a bit to think of something to say.

Then during slow points at work I outline what I want to say. Most of it never gets written but it passes the time and gives me something to work with when I get the time to actually write.

Keep going until it you clear out the blockage, like with plumbing.

Sorta.

Some solid advice here.

I'm a big advocate for the 'just write something'. Becuase once you at least START and there's something there it's a teensy bit easier for more to come.
But it's still like. Okay, gross metaphor time.
It's like mental constipation. Trying to force out each word like a little poop nugget. And if you're in a bad place with esteem around your writing you think iwhat you're producing is just that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back