• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy What Stands Between

The Mad Queen

Memento Mori. Unus Anus
adpuloba8a2.png

mothman.jpg

The year is 2040, and the Earth as you know it is drastically different and a lot more dangerous. In 2020, humanity made a discovery that changed everything. For centuries, beings had walked the Earth that had hidden themselves from humanity. Texts talked of the undead, of fey and of demons, devils and more living amongst us had passed into legend.

But all legends start from somewhere.

A chance encounter in war-torn Ukraine, a hot zone being broadcast across the globe by reporters led the discovery of the devils first and those we call the strange, the dead and the rest of the damned soon followed. Ancient treaties and laws keeping their world separate from ours, keeping them in the shadows shattered overnight and the world soon shattered with it. Seeing the footage, of reporters and soldiers on both sides being torn to pieces sent large chunks of the human race into a blind panic.

They cried out for someone who would protect their families, their countries and their possessions from the horrors, they cried out for saviours to send the monsters back to where they came from. Whether that was the Feywilds, Hell or back into the Earth it did not matter. They wanted them gone. Some saw it as their civic duties to take up arms, and much like in any crisis there were those seeking to take advantage.

Countries went to war, and some turned into theocratic dictatorships in the years that followed. They did not care about religion, even in the face of devils and demons. They cared about power, and in the end many of them achieved it and have clinged on. Many didn't stop with the outsiders and deemed many other groups as impure sinners or traitors among other things.

The twentieth anniversary of the Pervomaisk massacre approaches and since that day humanity has made leaps and bounds in technology. Cybernetics, so that humans could keep up with the stronger outsiders. Weapons: to counter them and machines to take the place of security to reduce the risk of human life. In rarer cases, some even mastered the magic of the creatures they were fighting as a means of fighting fire with fire.

The world as you know it is drastically different and a lot more dangerous, but not without light.
Away from the prying eyes of governments, some outsiders and humans help each other and work together. Some are looking to build a better world, while others are just trying to survive, clinging onto hope despite the darkness.​
-
I'm playing with some different ideas here. Dystopia, science fantasy and the supernatural which also gives you the opportunity to play who you want. You could play an enhanced human, fitted out with the best cybernetics a New Templar Order has to offer in order to hunt down the outsiders as Paladin of the 2040s. You could play the half-breed of a human and one of the outsiders, living on the outskirts of society as they try to get by and stay hidden.
Or you could just play an average Joe human happened to be named Joe, who owns a sandwich shop in London and is tired of the lack of respect given to him by Paladins who don't appreciate how much work he puts into his goat's cheese.
(I will actually give legitimate props to someone who decides to play Joe)

Now I won't lie, this RP and it's world might be a bit bleak at times but I want to balance things out. Less humourless grimdark and more of a mixed bag. Sure, there is darkness in the form of the oppressive dystopias but light in seeing the average people and helping folks.
In terms of setting, while I'm fleshing out the world as a whole and will certainly be allowing for activity in other countries the primary focus will be in the British Isles, at least to start with.

For a little bit of detail, Scotland is independent and far more relaxed than it's neighbours when it comes to the outsiders, separated from the Holy British Empire by a border wall and staving off the threat of invasion via MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) while the HBE controls England, Wales, the Isle of Man and a few overseas territories. A United Ireland exists on paper, but the North is divided in a second conflict.
Overall, the politics of the HBE are a mixture between an oppressive theocracy and aggressive pro-nationalism. Ireland is theocratic, but less aggressive and nationalist.

Finally, there will be a restriction as to how many players can join this thing. Sorry, but it's to keep things organised.
Oh, and feel free to ask me any questions.

EDIT: RPN keeps deleting the link to the Discord so it's in a separate thread now: https://www.rpnation.com/threads/discord-server-for-rp-what-stands-between.451875/

Last edited:
Interesting. I think there should be those who are willing to fight for more than just humans and kill non-humans. maybe they can fight as a killer of the unjust and unpure.

Interesting. I think there should be those who are willing to fight for more than just humans and kill non-humans. maybe they can fight as a killer of the unjust and unpure.

Oh, absolutely, those sorts of people definitely exist in this world. Like I said, there's humans and outsiders that work and live together so having a human or outsider who cares little for the conflict and instead is just a beacon of justice between the two worlds wouldn't be unheard of.

For those of you not on the Discord, I posted this. I hope it's helpful in explaining outsider stuff:

Me on the Discord said:
Well the outsiders fit into four categories.
The dead, the strange and the damned are the big three.

The dead are the undead so that's your zombies, ghosts, vampires, mummies ect.

The Strange is a title given to beings from or associated with the the Feywilds, another plane of existence that's home to the Fey.
Examples would be Dryads, Changeling and Hags. There's also the mindless hedgebeasts.

The Damned are beings tied to Hell. So that's your Demons and Devils. While demons are sort of animalistic creatures representing concepts like sin Devils are actually souls that have been sent to a part of Hell and corrupted there.
They can also breed with humans, creating Succubi.
Furthermore, there are more powerful Devils that were born or created in Hell such as the various Lords.

Now the 4th catagory is the others. These are rarer creatures who don't belong with the big three. Examples would be more Eldritch beings, skinchangers (Werewolves, Skinwalkers, Mermaids ect) and more. That's sort of where I'm going to let people be a lot more creative as it doesn't have to be undead, Fey or from/tied to Hell

Furthermore, there's a lot more in the world, even some creatures that haven't been discovered yet.

Also here is a WIP of the character sheet:

Appearance: (Pic or brief description works fine)
Name:
(Optional) Other name(s):
(Optional) Sexuality:
Species: (enhanced human, Vampire, Succubus ect)
Country/Realm of Origin:
(Optional) Organisations: (Is your character part of a street gang, a commune, a government agency ect if so provide some detail)
NOTE: I'll also be listing numerous organisations on the lore page once I get that up but feel free to suggest your own to me.

History: (Can be as long or as short as you want, so long as there is some information as to how they are in their current position)
Personality: (Again, short or long)

Notable Skills: (fighting styles, good at driving, ect)
Abilities: (optional, basically any superhuman abilities your character has, could be via supernatural/magical means or something like cybernetic enhancements)
Notable flaws: (supernatural or regular weaknesses)
Gear: (acquired gear such as weapons and otherwise, cybernetic enhancements can go here too)

Extra details: (optional, trivial details about the character)

All I can say about characters atm is don't make them too OP and I'll also be allowing 4 characters per player.

Appearance:
5C378675-F587-4605-915C-8828757FA959.jpeg
Name: Aleki Payne McGovern
Other name(s): bastard, killer, asshole. Murder.
Sexuality: straight.
Species: enhanced human
Country/Realm of Origin: America Organisations: Witcher’s association
History: Aleki was only twelve when the worlds opened up. He was orphaned in less then a day and grew to understand why humans feared the creatures of the night. A old man offered him justice and the chance to save others. He agreed and was physically enhanced with augmented organs and then had his left eye replaced. He learned how to hunt down beasts and even took trophies from his kills.
Personality: loyal to a fault but also a ass

Notable Skills: military weapons training, learned from the school of the wolf and of the cat. Also good at medical treatments
Abilities: Witcher sight, the ability to last up to a half hour without oxygen, reinforced bones and enhanced endurance.
Notable flaws: still mortal and mystical powers can harm him
Gear: Military grade rifle( fires silver Ap rounds), a silver/titanium blend sword, a pistol and knife with military grade armor

I'll be adding lists of history, organisations and some creatures to the lore page when the RP goes up. Feel free to suggest stuff here, in PMs or via the Discord if you want.

Sorry for the delay, work was hectic for a while but now that I actually have the time to run this it's officially open.

I might be interested! I have the idea that once shit hit the fan, America really, really went down the drain. The South became a dogmatic, yet somehow splintered theocratic dictatorship, with the various denominations constantly battling for dominance, and after a while, they conquered much of the Northern states, all the way up to just outside of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The Northern states are pretty much what's left of the old US government, and are attempting to combat the various supernatural creatures in whatever ways they can: guns, cybernetics, robots, even magic. Doesn't really matter as long as it works. The Southern Theocracy, however, is very much faith based. They believe that if all of America turns back to the Christian faith, that the monsters will leave, though there are different interpretations of what the demons are and what their purpose is. Some believe them to be, well, demons, sent by Satan to tempt humanity into sin. Some believe that they're sent by God to punish humanity, and that once the Theocracy has claimed all of America, the monsters will consume the world, and God will take his followers into Paradise.

I might be interested! I have the idea that once shit hit the fan, America really, really went down the drain. The South became a dogmatic, yet somehow splintered theocratic dictatorship, with the various denominations constantly battling for dominance, and after a while, they conquered much of the Northern states, all the way up to just outside of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The Northern states are pretty much what's left of the old US government, and are attempting to combat the various supernatural creatures in whatever ways they can: guns, cybernetics, robots, even magic. Doesn't really matter as long as it works. The Southern Theocracy, however, is very much faith based. They believe that if all of America turns back to the Christian faith, that the monsters will leave, though there are different interpretations of what the demons are and what their purpose is. Some believe them to be, well, demons, sent by Satan to tempt humanity into sin. Some believe that they're sent by God to punish humanity, and that once the Theocracy has claimed all of America, the monsters will consume the world, and God will take his followers into Paradise.

That's kinda what happened with the 2nd American Civil War except for the last part.
I've already sort of established the lore for the NFF version of America but I'm sure we could work this idea in for another part of the planet?

This reminds me of Rifts, a game book I picked up a few years back. Looks pretty neat. Seems to have touches of The Secret World, too, but that might just be a coincidence.

This reminds me of Rifts, a game book I picked up a few years back. Looks pretty neat. Seems to have touches of The Secret World, too, but that might just be a coincidence.
Never heard of Rifts but my inspirations for this came from all over the place. A bit of Blade Runner there, a big chunk from World of Darkness/White Wolf there. It probably wouldn't be out of the question that I picked something up in passing from The Secret World, given I played that a little way back in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back