Other What resources do you use for finding character faceclaims?

Yog-Sothoth

The gate and the key
Hey there it's been ages since I've done forum rps, and thus have felt the need to go hunting for pretty pics to add to character sheets. So I'm wondering what are common websites you use, to find live action actors or anime characters from mangas that are more obscure. (I find it hell of distracting when someone uses a well known canon as a FC for their OC I don't want to be that person!).

Yeah, the best thing about Zerochan is that the search bar is inuitive. You can specify things like a single person (solo), red hair, male, female, etc.

So I personally like to use the websites below because the works are either in the public domain (free to use for whatever without permission) or the creators have given full permission for their work to be used (typically as long as you link back).

PUBLIC DOMAIN IMAGES (real, no links required)
- https://unsplash.com/
- Free stock photos · Pexels
- Stunning Free Images · Pixabay
- Flickr: Creative Commons

DOLL MAKERS (anime, link back to dollmaker suggested)
- Azalea's Dress up Dolls | Dress up games for creative people
- Doll Divine ~ Dress Up Games
- Home - Missangest Games

EDIT : To address OP's point about using less obscure pictures these also work great for that. Since not a lot of people are concerned with permissions and public domain the top list contains a lot of less common face claims as you won't be using actors or the more popular models. And once again the dollmakers allow you to personalize your characters to your own specification so that you don't have a character that looks like everyone else's.

Nowadays when I have characters, I try to use as little images from the internet as possible and I try to draw them on my own. Takes a lot of practice but the results pay off

Pinterest is my way to go. I'm not particularly into real people's photos for face claims, so I usually search up art similar to what I have in mind or sketch them really quickly to get a general idea of what they look like, for my own reference. However, if the RP is pretty stable and has been going on for a while, I might actually consider painting the character myself.

rae2nerdy rae2nerdy Oh wow! Much obliged for all those goodies.

Idea Idea Yeah tedious as it is I don't think anything will ever top google, which makes sense given the billions they invest on flooding the interwebs with bots, and improving said bots heh. Bing....despite being the butt of most search engine jokes is also pretty good.

Sir Fungus Sir Fungus It's awesome that you have the talent and that you've taken that time to hone that talent for drawing in such away that you'd be able to whip up a decent looking sketch fast enough to keep up with the pace of your ambition to want to join an rp. If drawing the most basic things didn't take me hours of struggling I'd probably go the same route there's not substitute for an image that comes straight out of your head.

peritwinkle peritwinkle I'm the same way IF I've gotten to know a character and they've won my heart then and only then am I willing to attempt to draw lol.

rae2nerdy rae2nerdy Oh wow! Much obliged for all those goodies.

Idea Idea Yeah tedious as it is I don't think anything will ever top google, which makes sense given the billions they invest on flooding the interwebs with bots, and improving said bots heh. Bing....despite being the butt of most search engine jokes is also pretty good.

Sir Fungus Sir Fungus It's awesome that you have the talent and that you've taken that time to hone that talent for drawing in such away that you'd be able to whip up a decent looking sketch fast enough to keep up with the pace of your ambition to want to join an rp. If drawing the most basic things didn't take me hours of struggling I'd probably go the same route there's not substitute for an image that comes straight out of your head.

peritwinkle peritwinkle I'm the same way IF I've gotten to know a character and they've won my heart then and only then am I willing to attempt to draw lol.
Weird that I didn't get the notification for this... oh well.

Hey there it's been ages since I've done forum rps, and thus have felt the need to go hunting for pretty pics to add to character sheets. So I'm wondering what are common websites you use, to find live action actors or anime characters from mangas that are more obscure. (I find it hell of distracting when someone uses a well known canon as a FC for their OC I don't want to be that person!).
I ask strangers I meet if I can take photos of them, it’s awkward explaining I’m using their image for creative writing online but I find the awkward moment rewarding each time

I ask strangers I meet if I can take photos of them, it’s awkward explaining I’m using their image for creative writing online but I find the awkward moment rewarding each time
Lmao if this is true I admire that you have the temerity to do that. Please do regale us with your best tale of the awkwardness encounter, accompanied by the photo you took!

Deviantart, Pinterest, Tumblr, WeHeartIt, Favim, Google, I use a bit of everything, haha. I'll definitely be using Pixiv in the ftture, though!

i usually think of the description of the charecter i have then go looking sometime i go with my first thought othertimes its another idea . i love pic hunting

Pixiv, twitter, and are the go-to sites for me.
I prefer to use [removed due to NSFW] over zerochan because the tag system is a bit more advanced

Last edited by a moderator:
Pixiv, twitter, and are the go-to sites for me.
I prefer to use [removed due to NSFW] over zerochan because the tag system is a bit more advanced
Use safebooru, all the same stuff but none of the NSFW.

Card games on mobile phones usually have pretty rad art. Valkyrie Crusade is my go to card game to get female faceclaims (for High Fantasy RPs only, of course). Also, I saw an RP that used art from Girls Frontline.

Other than that, I use characters from franchises I know. I rarely use Google and the boorus.

Card games on mobile phones usually have pretty rad art. Valkyrie Crusade is my go to card game to get female faceclaims (for High Fantasy RPs only, of course). Also, I saw an RP that used art from Girls Frontline.

Other than that, I use characters from franchises I know. I rarely use Google and the boorus.
Shoutouts to Girls Frontline.
For what it is, it has a good variety of designs, and a surprisingly deep story.

Which gun did they use?
Was it IDW?

I will always recommend Artstation. It's like a cross between LinkedIn and DeviantArt. It acts as an official portfolio for artists, so yoi'll find a lot of concept art for movies and games, paintings for various TCGs like MtG and Hex, and really good art by some up and coming artists, all without the possibility of running into some of the more unsavory parts of DeviantArt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back