Idea What pushes you AWAY from superhero/villain roleplays?

GiantSugarCake

These words have power.
I'm just asking really.

I've had this idea for a super(hero? I don't wanna use the word hero because what if they're not hero's?) roleplay but I notice that these kind of things seem to die out quickly or never get picked up. I don't typically write roleplays that are super themed but Incredibles 2, Infinity War, and Deadpool 2 have me itching for a quality fiction.

Here's my idea, (or just a quick outline of it, feel free to pitch some thoughts).

Outline- A team of five Supers* are pulled together by an ultimate force, Death. Turns out the world is in worse shape than we thought and though we may not know each other, each of us has something to lose and we're not willing to lose it.

**Supers: Meaning that they can be villain, hero, vigilante, or a friendly neighborhood SuperPowered freak.

Antagonist- Death. Not Death as in "a natural thing that occurs in the circle of life" but Death as in a descendant of the Grim reaper has decided he/she wishes to restart humanity with him(her)self on top.

What I would probably need-
Four Supers* (I would play one)
Maybe a sibling descendant of Grim Jr.
Someone who would like to play Grim Jr.

Help!
Also would be looking for a co-gm to help form plot and set things up with.

I love superhero/suoervillian stuff, which is why I'm playing one in an Infinite Crisis RP. I judt avoid actual super RPs because I'm afraid of dealing edgelord brooding antiheroes with dead parents and a tragic past and uber Mary Sues where all we do is fight and they insist that their super special OP power would beat everyone else. So basically, I avoid it because it lets itself open up to bad RP by design. Not to say that it can't be good and fun, but I think that it is prone to not be.

To be clear your talking group yes and not a 1x1.

In that case I think a lot of problems are more tied to the group format than the genre.

As mentioned above you have to work hard to keep people from taking advantage of your design. Although that’s true of any or that allows special abilities ( magic and sci fi included )

But with only four characters I’d say you could make this a 1x1 with each of you playing two characters and kick butt. I’d be down to help you flesh it out at least.

One of my cravings was a Infinity War Style roleplay and I think this could be worked nicely into that.

If your set on a group I can give you some tips to reign in the amount of people taking advantage of the set up

I’m going to be at the airport today but like superheroes are my main genre so if nothing else I can help you with plot, set up, world building etc.

I read a lot of superhero fiction, watch the movies, even dabble in comics. Plus I have worlds I make up.

So I’d be down there help out tomorrow. Today I’ll be in and out of service

I was talking about a group roleplay, yes.

As for people taking advantage of the design... I'd be very critical about powers and Mary/Garysues, I think quality world building would also help force people to develop their characters. With Arcs and things like that.

rae2nerdy rae2nerdy I am pretty sure I want to keep it a group rp only because personally.. I'm not so good at maintaining two characters that I could be confident enough to have an entire roleplay riding on their backs. Maybe you could help out with co-gm and if the plot catches your attention enough then you could join in? Just a back burner idea though

I was talking about a group roleplay, yes.

As for people taking advantage of the design... I'd be very critical about powers and Mary/Garysues, I think quality world building would also help force people to develop their characters. With Arcs and things like that.

rae2nerdy rae2nerdy I am pretty sure I want to keep it a group rp only because personally.. I'm not so good at maintaining two characters that I could be confident enough to have an entire roleplay riding on their backs. Maybe you could help out with co-gm and if the plot catches your attention enough then you could join in? Just a back burner idea though

As I said I’ll be in the airport most of today but I don’t mind helping you get the idea off the ground. We’ll see if I join once we get more of the idea fleshed out. I have a kind of all over the place schedule so I tend to avoid groups due to lack of time. But we’ll see what the post schedule ends up being.

I can help set things up no problem.

As I said I’ll be in the airport most of today but I don’t mind helping you get the idea off the ground. We’ll see if I join once we get more of the idea fleshed out. I have a kind of all over the place schedule so I tend to avoid groups due to lack of time. But we’ll see what the post schedule ends up being.

I can help set things up no problem.

Wonderful :bishiesparklesr: I guess I'll just PM you and we'll start spitballing

Ooohh, whenever the world building is finished, I'd absolutely LOVE the chance to join the fun! I haven't done many super RPs, but this got my creative juices flowing real good!

^

hard agreee, I'd love to join in as well. <3 definitelyyy a lack of world building and actual plot can turn people away from an rp (but it looks like you'll be okay in that regard!!)

You'll probably get stomped out by the huge superheroes roleplay in Realistic and Modern, but good luck my dude.

While the main things that turn me off a superhero/villain roleplay are the reasons for getting turned off Rps in general (like if the Gm clearly doesn't know what they're doing or if the Rp doesn't match my writing style etc...) the main causes that turn me off superhero Rps specifically are:
*People nitpicking about stuff that should not get nitpicked on. Looking at all those people who want to flaunt some half-baked understanding of certain topics of science whose accurate representation is besides the point...
*Whe the power balance is off the rails and there seems to be no concern towards people getting to properly share the spotlight
*When the RP is just banking on the same old stories like the characters being persued for having powers regardless of that actually making sense, and making things like religion or the government the unquestionably evil which is a general turn-off now that I think about it
*when the available possibilities for powers are either boring or arbitrarily exclude the things I like just because the things I like happen to be a bit more exotic than "shoots a fireball"

There is probably more, but that's what comes to my head right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back