Literature What Mythology is your fav?

_Zarathos_

Hit Me!
For me (Although I don't consider it mythology rather apart of my life) is Christianity and other Mythologies clashing with it.
Meaning.... I love when Angels and demons fight or other celestial beings duke it out in combat or all out war!!! It's so awesome and EPIC when you really think about it.

What about you? :)

Christianity clashing with other mythologies? Like in a fantasy story?

I love Bestiaries and the various folklore/mythologies surrounding fantastical beasts across the world.

Maybe because I'm pagan I'm biased but I really love Irish Myths and Ancient Egypt.

I think a vastly overlooked mythology is that of hinduism.

✅ Gods and Angels, including a complete pantheon almost completely parallels the greek deities.
✅ Demons (Asuras)
✅ Elves and nymphs (gandharvas and apsaras).
✅ Furries (Yakshas. These are basically the spirits of the wilderness of which there's a wide variety.)
✅ Scalies (Nagas. They're snake people.)
✅ Dark wizards
✅ Super-powered warriors armed with divine weapons, the simplest being able to call forth the power of fire or the ocean and the most complex being literal nuclear weapons (I'm not making this up, the weapon is called the brahmastra. There's even a super-saiyan version of it called the brahmashirsha astra).
✅ Sages who meditate upon mountains for millennia and receive ultimate power in return.
✅ Magical wars between gods, men, demons and so on.
✅ Avatars (yes, the very inspiration for the Avatar: The Last Airbender series)
✅ Character classes (don't worry, I'm not endorsing the caste system)
✅ Some of the deepest philosophical themes in any school of thought
✅ Some of the most wonderful plot lines in all of literature, even despite the fact that most of the works were developed thousands of years ago

If you're interested in learning more about this, I'd recommend reading the modern adaptations of the Mahabharata and the Ramayana by Ramesh Mennon.

lol Christianity is mythology? I guess to an atheist it is, but meh.

Anyway, I'm partial towards Egyptian mythology since Ancient Egypt has been an obsession of mine since childhood. I also find a lot of the Greek/Roman stuff neat too. I know, pretty cliche answers, but I sadly don't know a lot about pantheons outside of the western ones.

I think a vastly overlooked mythology is that of hinduism.

✅ Gods and Angels, including a complete pantheon almost completely parallels the greek deities.
✅ Demons (Asuras)
✅ Elves and nymphs (gandharvas and apsaras).
✅ Furries (Yakshas. These are basically the spirits of the wilderness of which there's a wide variety.)
✅ Scalies (Nagas. They're snake people.)
✅ Dark wizards
✅ Super-powered warriors armed with divine weapons, the simplest being able to call forth the power of fire or the ocean and the most complex being literal nuclear weapons (I'm not making this up, the weapon is called the brahmastra. There's even a super-saiyan version of it called the brahmashirsha astra).
✅ Sages who meditate upon mountains for millennia and receive ultimate power in return.
✅ Magical wars between gods, men, demons and so on.
✅ Avatars (yes, the very inspiration for the Avatar: The Last Airbender series)
✅ Character classes (don't worry, I'm not endorsing the caste system)
✅ Some of the deepest philosophical themes in any school of thought
✅ Some of the most wonderful plot lines in all of literature, even despite the fact that most of the works were developed thousands of years ago

If you're interested in learning more about this, I'd recommend reading the modern adaptations of the Mahabharata and the Ramayana by Ramesh Mennon.

I think Hinduism is largely overlooked since it's a religion that is still widely practiced and believed, thus most people don't think of it as "mythology" in the traditional sense.

lol Christianity is mythology? I guess to an atheist it is, but meh.

Anyway, I'm partial towards Egyptian mythology since Ancient Egypt has been an obsession of mine since childhood. I also find a lot of the Greek/Roman stuff neat too. I know, pretty cliche answers, but I sadly don't know a lot about pantheons outside of the western ones.
Ye I don't consider Christianity a mythology due to it being something I believe but due to Political correction It's considered a mythology so I might as well include it in fantasy battles cause angels are bad ass xD

Ye I don't consider Christianity a mythology due to it being something I believe but due to Political correction It's considered a mythology so I might as well include it in fantasy battles cause angels are bad ass xD

I'm also a Christian so classifying Christianity as mythology seemed odd to me. But yes, the angels vs. demons stuff is neat. Reminds me of Dante's Inferno and all that good stuff.

Roman mythology all the way, lot of unique stories.

I really love Roman/Greekn but I've always been interested in Japanese Mythology. They have so many strange spirits too.

I find all of them fascinating and I like to compare the myths and find similar trends in different cultures.

Greek/Roman. But I was also raised with Norse mythology, so they've got a warm spot in my heart, too. I love most folklore of any kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back