Viewpoint What music do you listen to during RP?

For me it kind of depends, really. I don’t know why but “Initial D: First Stage” sound files and the sound files from “New Initial D Legend” are really good for setting the mood. Like “Sleeping Town” by Akio Dobashi is good if I’m writing about looking up at the night sky, deep in thought for example. I also tend to provide links to these songs to my partner with my post so it helps set the mood. I don’t know if I’m the only one who does this.

important thread. i follow a guy who posts obscure videogame music playlists. (this is his most recent.)

i generally agree that instrumentals help me focus, but somebody told me to listen to rap music when i'm blocked and that also works immaculately. i haven't updated my playlist in a minute but my most listened to are paramedic off the black panther soundtrack; buckingham palace with ghostface killa, KXNG crooked, and benny the butcher; high by freddie gibbs ft. danny brown; by my lonely by dom kennedy...

I listen to my favorite songs on Spotify, though I am making a playlist for just roleplaying music. I usually listen to things that make me vibe and mouth along, just have fun while I type up my roleplay. Strangely, it's distracting, but I still write a lot during it.

Depends on how much work I want to get done. I love listening to music that fits the scene or to theme songs for the character I am making/writing....but if I actually want to get a significant amount of work done, I've recently had to acknowledge that I work better in silence or with familiar music that doesn't have any lyrics. Jazz is my go to atm. I really like Gogo Penguin.

It never matters too much what I listen to as long as there isn't a lot of excess noise from something else. I tend to be in voice chats while I roleplay and the sounds of conversation throw me off more than song melodies. Currently though,

Instrumental music for me. I like to listen to Final Fantasy music from the Distant Worlds concerts. I also listen to stations on Pandora which is often. Most of the time, I'll be listening to Two Steps From Hell.

Usually, if I'm listening to music during RP it's related to the character or just some ambient background noise. If the RP is based on an anime or game then I might listen to music from that anime/game to get into the vibe.

I find myself listening to a lot of vaporwave/synthwave. It's relaxing but also groovy, encourages me to have fun when writing my replies. I notice that I can never listen to songs with lyrics, it somehow distracts me from the words I'm coming up with and disturbs my creative process. Other than those genres, I also like to listen to soundtracks and sounds that relate to the story such as rain or birds chirping outside. It really puts me into my character's perspective and I'm able to be more descriptive when it comes to surroundings.

I make a playlist for every OC I have. I usually listen to that while writing them. If not, I jump onto a 24/7 lofi playlist that's on theme of the roleplay I'm writing for.

I'm not doing a lot of writing right now, but when I do, the music I listen to usually depends on the mood and setting of the story. Most of the rps I do have a magical / fantastical element to them, so I find the soundtracks of LOTR / Hobbit help keep the creative juices flowing. Similar playlists include mythical, Celtic, faerie type music.

Currently, I'm obsessed with CLANN, and I keep their music on repeat, even when I'm not writing.

Anything that does not contain overtly audible lyrics. It needs to mellow into the background.

Almost anything from the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy, but the song depends on the situation occurring in the rp.

Like many others it depends. But mostly music that isn't distracting to the point it'll disrupt my thought process or I could get lost writing in.

I have a hard time listening to anything with actual lyrics while I'm writing, as it distracts me and I sometimes find myself writing down what was just said in the song. Lol. xD
That being said, while I am writing/RPing, I do enjoy sometimes listening to instrumentals. Particularly instrumentals from Kingdom Hearts, Legend of Zelda, Studio Ghibli, and sometimes Enya. Those are my usual go to's. ^.^

Now, I do enjoy making playlists for my ships though! It helps give me inspiration for RPing if I listen to a playlist I've made for one in my spare time.~

Ooh. It really depends on what the roleplay setting is and what's happening but, for example, if it's a fantasy where characters are about to fight a big baddie....this.

Or

-->This game sucks by the way.

A mellow scene can be something like:

Plus

I enjoy listening to DECO27, as it helps me channel my inner weeb self. I also require some hyped music for me to get into the mood of writing.

I actually use music to channel my muses. When I have to write a really edgy and hard-core character, my playlist shifts to metal. On the opposite side, if I’m writing a more sweet and wholesome character, I play mellow indie pop. But tuning into music usually happens before writing, like a pre-writing ritual of sorts. When I’m actually typing, I’d rather just have silence. It helps to clear my mind. If I had to have background music when I type, I play instrumental lo-fi. It’s a chill time!

i tend to make playlists for most individual characters i have and rp plots that i make/am a part of. i'd say florence + the machines takes up a lot of space on those playlists- their music has some sort of magical ability to rid me of writer's block

Typically I either listen to music I've written, or I don't listen to any at all. But I do have Youtube videos of some of my favorite content creators going in the background like ARK 100 day survival videos by Crowmeda, NaturalCauzes, etc.

I listen to lofis, there's so many of them and they are always long, so I can write and chill with some good lofi. I think my favorite ones would be Pokemon and Video Games lofis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back