Viewpoint What makes you nope out of a search thread?

When you're taking part of a military themed RP and the highest ranking person is only a high rank because they want all the authority but struggles with any kind of leadership beyond yelling incoherently, acting all tough in the face of enemy fire and being 'that guy' who single handedly wins the fight.

Just because someone's a high rank, doesn't mean they have the smarts to go with it.

Stay safe, be a private. ;)

I’m the exact opposite with romance. I tend to gravitate towards character driven romance. As no matter what the plot says if I don’t feel like the characters have chemistry than the romance is forced.

That said I am also not a fan of just plain pairings either. Instead I look for people who say they’re open to adding romance as a subplot to their ideas or plots.

As I feel like adding romance in as a subplot later tends to mean you let things grow between the characters organically.

Oh, I think perhaps you may have misunderstood what I meant a little, or I wasn't clear? I prefer no romance over forced romance lol, if the characters have no chemistry then I won't be pursuing a romance angle between them. I meant more that search threads which list out character pairings but not a corresponding plot idea usually make me click out immediately. Intriguing action/drama/etc plot first, romance second. I refuse to do roleplays where the characters start out in love or it develops unnaturally fast between them, that just don't interest me.

I actually think we're on the exact same page haha, not opposite at all.

Oh, I think perhaps you may have misunderstood what I meant a little, or I wasn't clear? I prefer no romance over forced romance lol, if the characters have no chemistry then I won't be pursuing a romance angle between them. I meant more that search threads which list out character pairings but not a corresponding plot idea usually make me click out immediately. Intriguing action/drama/etc plot first, romance second. I refuse to do roleplays where the characters start out in love or it develops unnaturally fast between them, that just don't interest me.

I actually think we're on the exact same page haha, not opposite at all.

I see I thought you meant you preferred romance plots over pairings. I will say I don't mind having established pairings at all. I have done a few plots with married couples and divorced couples. And I wouldn't be opposed to having like a wedding broken up by the plot and take the characters from there.

I think established relationships actually make it easier to write characters as individual people rather than assuming their whole existence happens to revolve around getting a significant other. Which is the part I find so forced in most pairing based plots/roleplays. As they tend to assume that the characters main motivating factor is just getting a date/significant other.

I never have to think about pet peeves, so let me think about what is my pet peeves...

1. Strict requirements that has no wiggle room at all, for example looking for x players, and have to be advance literate.
I get that people prefers detailed posts, but for someone, like me, that writing isn't their strong suit, it makes a lot of interest checks unavailable. I consider myself a semi-literate roleplayer, that gets writers block insanely easy, so the amount varies from post to post.

2. Anime interests.
I am not well verse in various of anime, so seeing nothing but anime as interests kind of puts me off to a point. I don't watch anime as much I as I do, and some I would see, I never heard of. Dang it, I want to find people who's looking for people that is interested in a Dark Souls (Actually found one, so I'm happy.), Dragon Age, The Elder Scrolls, or few others. Well, at least I'm not seeing millions of interest checks for Warrior Cats...like I do at another site I am on.

3. Having canon characters as pairing the person wants to do in said fandom. I tried playing a canon character in a Bleach rp I used to be in on another site, but I had to choose one of the characters that shows almost no emotions.

4. People using custom code, or whatever they are called, that has a background that makes the font almost blend in with it. Encountered one like that earlier today. Recently words has been blury for me, when I try to read something from a distance because of either diabetes or a drastic change in my perscription, and I don't want to strain my eyes when I'm trying to read an interest check.

5. People having ccs that is not friendly for mobile users. I hate to say it, but not everybody has a computer they could be on all the time.

6. The title of interest thread was written in some kind of code, that blocks take the place of the letters.
Don't know about you, if I see a title when I view on my phone, and all I see is blocks instead of letters? Nope. Not going to see what it is about. If I can't read the title, then I probably can't read the interest check.

These made sense to me when I wrote this, sorry if it kind of doesn't. There might be others, but can't think off the top of my head right now.

Last edited:
Oh man, this stuff drives me up a wall. (I have to be really, really desperately for a RP to let any of those slide)

1)When the post is basically unreadable.
Either extremely bad spelling, little to no use of punctuation marks, BB code that makes it impossible to read the thread on a phone, extremely small letters, the color of the words blending in with the background image- this sort of stuff.

2)People with overly specific preferences.
Ok, I have yet to see any on this site, but, I remember, back in my early RP days, I found a post that went a little bit like: “Cute girl, I want to RP only romance. I will only RP with cute 14 y/o boys, you have to be a boy in real life, no girls who play as boys allowed” ... seriously man?

3)”I need a reply once a day”
Yes, I do have a life outside the internet, impossible as it may sound. No, I may not be able to make one (or several) post(s) every day. Yes, I will try (if I’m really invested in the RP) but I can’t make any promises considering my mess of a schedule. So there, I said it.

4)Little to no information about the RP.
I want to know what to expect from my partner and what expectations they have from me. Any preference in reply length? Any pet peeves I should know about? Do they require detailed character sheets or none at all? How open are they to hearing my RP ideas? I kinda want to know this stuff before hand. I don’t want to have to force the answers out of my partner in PMs.

5)Boring plots?
I think this is a very subjective thing as “one man’s trash is another’s man treasure” but if I see a bunch of plot ideas and/or pairings I find unappealing, I will nope out of the search thread.

If the rp puts too much focus on historical accuracy.

I'm 100% sure it can be done well but I've had too many experiences where people who don't quite known as much about history as they think they do end up prioritizing "historical accuracy" over having fun for me to bother taking anymore chances.

Last edited:
Sort of on the flip side of the above people who don’t allow for internal consistency of their worlds.

So say you have a world where women are all housewives. If your one female character works outside of the home she’s not going to be seen as a trailblazing modern woman. She’s going to be seen as a freak by the people around her because she’s not sticking to her place.

It always bothers me about historical roleplays. Like I’m not asking you to write a twenty page thesis on X time period. But if you do take elements than at least follow through with them.

Don’t be like “Oh I’m using this historical element but only as long as it’s convenient for me.”

So say you have a world where women are all housewives. If your one female character works outside of the home she’s not going to be seen as a trailblazing modern woman. She’s going to be seen as a freak by the people around her because she’s not sticking to her place.
Not to derail this thread too much, but I'm just gonna point out that it's far from unreasonable to have characters who break societal norms be well-regarded by other people. To use a historical example, Joan of Arc lived in a time where women weren't expected to partake in war yet she was, to put it mildly, fairly popular among the french.

Not to derail this thread too much, but I'm just gonna point out that it's far from unreasonable to have characters who break societal norms be well-regarded by other people. To use a historical example, Joan of Arc lived in a time where women weren't expected to partake in war yet she was, to put it mildly, fairly popular among the french.

My point is more in the attitude. Where you set up some aspect of your world building specifically so your character can be Not Like Other Characters.

So if literally the only reason you make a roleplay “historical” is to specifically have strict social norms that define your society then you turn around and have your character ignore those exact social norms than what’s the point?

A list of rules as long as my arm is enough to make me walk away.

When people make it clear they have no plots in mind, only pairings (something I used to be guilty of myself). I get not everyone wants to put their plots out for everyone to see but not having even and inkling of what they want to do is frustration.

I'm also not keen when someone is fixed on my character fitting a mould for theirs (e.g. a specific look or personality type just for the sake of romance).

When someone has a whole plot worked out including what my character should be doing all the way through. Where's the room for my creativity? Isn't RP a collaborative act?

A search thread that just says "Looking for someone to RP with me" with no information about their interests.

Any threads where the requirement is to post frequently. XD

One word: "Discord"

If an rp requires discord I run away fast as physically possible. I don't have discord. Don't want it, don't need it!

Just now I saw a well put together interest check for an interesting rp and I was like "hey, cool, I wanna join." And then bam "Discord is required".

This always happens to me!

One word: "Discord"

If an rp requires discord I run away fast as physically possible. I don't have discord. Don't want it, don't need it!

Just now I saw a well put together interest check for an interesting rp and I was like "hey, cool, I wanna join." And then bam "Discord is required".

This always happens to me!
I use to hold this same opinion, but now I can not form a RP without it. I just love all the great friends I've brought together under one easily accessible community.

Any interest check that wants to RP as real existing people.

Huge, HUGE turn off for me. Someone who thinks they have the right to pretend they know how the actual real person thinks and then use them for personal wish fulfillment is probably not someone I'll get along with.

I haven’t been frequently on for a long while but I remember this happens a lot back then when I browse 1x1.

They will detail both characters from start to finish, the entire plot so much in flesh that you already know what will happen down the line. Like, you know their fights and their misunderstanding and their affection and their union and down to even their happy or tragic endings, all in the search post itself.

I understand some plot needs to be explain well, but one of the joy of rp with someone else is to see how unexpected or how different characters may have chemistry without planning. They can steer the story away because when people interact, they change. The lack of flexibility in character driving the plot is a no-go for me because inevitably it will become boring.

I did that once.

It was when I joined rpn. (Well, I joined ZU first but that's besides the point).
I see your point. I guess I wouldn't consider many people on this site friends. I like being able to have complete freedom though. Like being able to use whatever words we want, or send any pictures we want.

I am not trying to persuade you to use it. I just feel it's a major benefit to me personally, and those around me. It comes with problems too. I'm just sharing information.

One more question, do you know how many people are against discord? I don't really know if you would know this information. I was just wondering if it would be viable for me to make a no-discord RP to cater to that crowd.

I actually don't think there are many people against discord and, in fact, I have roleplayed in rps that has a discord ooc but also a regular ooc for thise who dislike discord.

But I don't really know. You could make a poll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back