Viewpoint What makes you nope out of a search thread?

Discord for OOC, it's completely irrational but I just don't like using two different websites for one thing.
Yeahh I dislike it too. I use discord for other stuff, but don't really like the idea of making a whole server for a RP, esp since this site has a whole place to make OOC threads.. Plus then if you have some people who have discord and some who don't, and you make a server and OOC thread to accommodate both, some of the players are going to miss out on information because it's spread between two sites and aaargh

Honestly Discord in general just doesn’t seem RP-friendly to me. I use it only to communicate when gaming and even then it feels quite complicated with all the servers and the busy feel. And especially since I don’t do group RPs, the idea of hopping on to another platform when RPN is perfectly designed for OOC - offers both the privacy of PMs and the more public domain of threads - seems like a waste of time and energy.

Honestly Discord in general just doesn’t seem RP-friendly to me. I use it only to communicate when gaming and even then it feels quite complicated with all the servers and the busy feel. And especially since I don’t do group RPs, the idea of hopping on to another platform when RPN is perfectly designed for OOC - offers both the privacy of PMs and the more public domain of threads - seems like a waste of time and energy.
I honestly couldn’t agree more. It’s great for gaming but RP? Not so much.

I've found Discord actually does work for a specific type of roleplay, where it's a sandbox type thing where each channel is a location, and characters sort of freely come and go and there's not a solid plot. But that's kinda.. it, yeah.

Esp if the roleplay isn't hosted on Discord, I don't see the sense in making a server for it. You don't really know how long the roleplay will last, either

I've found Discord actually does work for a specific type of roleplay, where it's a sandbox type thing where each channel is a location, and characters sort of freely come and go and there's not a solid plot. But that's kinda.. it, yeah.

Esp if the roleplay isn't hosted on Discord, I don't see the sense in making a server for it. You don't really know how long the roleplay will last, either

Constant switching between servers can get a bit overwhelming for me. I just prefer RP-ing here, in one thread, where I can clearly see everything I have written with my partner so far, jump back to an earlier scene for reference, etc. Not having everything in one place can get frustrating especially when it comes to detailed RPs where some info and scenes can be important to the plot further.

Same reason why I keep my study notes in one app 😂 too obsessed with continuity and order.

Agree to disagree. I personally enjoy using Discord as an OOC thing, and for the most part have incorporated servers into my own (and failed) projects.

I prefer uniformity, being able to use just one website and get everything I want is infinitely easier for me. It's why I use steam and on occasion GOG for computer games, I rarely bother with the other stores like Origin, Uplay or anything like that because it's flicking between applications and just more twists and turns that could make any house into a labyrinth if the analogy makes sense.

Real life FCs only: This is a very personal issue that I have and while it's perfectly fine to ask for real life pictures for one's characters I just can't bring myself to join any RPs that mark this as a requirement. I don't know, just the whole process of looking for someone else's appearance and marking it as my character's feels...weird. This is why I tend to stay away from any RPs that aren't Fandom because this turns into a very common request in Fantasy, Realistic and Futuristic. I am fine with realistic art-styles for face claims, but real life ones creeps me off.

Lazy Fandom: Speaking of Fandom, I despise RPs that don't add any sort of spice to the universe they choose to RP in. Unless it's with cannon characters I dislike it when minimal to none changes are made to a universe just to fit our OCs. You have a whole Universe that has already been created but rather than developing it with your own personal touch you simply keep it vanilla. I don't mean to throw any shade (Hell I've taken part in multiple RPs that keep the universe fairly intact), it's just that when your RP's description is "You are new students of Hogwarts, go have some wacky and zany adventures!" I am outta there faster than you could ever imagine.

"Pls try to avoid using swear word thx :D": Freak off to heck stinky-pants.

Here's one. Titles that are something along the lines of "[Blank] RP anyone?" or "Anyone want to do a [Blank] RP?"

Alternatively, one word titles that don't explain what the rp is about. If you're goingbto make a title it should at least inform me of what I'm getting into.

Titles are a big thing for me, okay.

Poorly formatted threads. It's a petty thing, but I just can't help it. If one paragraph is in the Arial font, size 12 and color black, and the next in Georgia, size 15 and the color grey then nah, no, just no.

Poorly formatted threads. It's a petty thing, but I just can't help it. If one paragraph is in the Arial font, size 12 and color black, and the next in Georgia, size 15 and the color grey then nah, no, just no.
Why would anyone do that!

Unless they have two different characters and do that to differentiate the two.

GMPC’s almost always mean that the GM is gonna live out their fantasy.

Fandom characters just feel wrong, fandom universes can be fine though.

Roleplays involving PC vs PC fights without a system. You simply can’t have a player fight in freeform roleplay, unless you have very good role players who are capable of being objective and fair, which is typically not the case in your average thread.

Requiring mana as a resource for spells without having a system in place or just even a vague definition. It just feels so needless when everyone is just gonna have a limit that is subjective. People having mana as a limit on their abilities without a system in general tilts me a bit, because without defining how much mana you have and how much your spell uses, you might as well write nothing.

Requiring weaknesses for abilities and/or spells and accepting things such as “limited by mana pool”, “a cutlass can’t stab people and is only sharp on one side”, “his pet needs to eat” as a weakness. All of those are either things that naturally apply to the ability or weapon, or they’re vague and meaningless.

Lots of locations without an appendix and a map.

Anime or realistic pictures only.

Sandboxes.

Abusing BBCode to the point of me being close to a visually induced aneurysm.

Lazy grammar, not necessarily bad grammar, to an extent, but not capitalizing after a period, I mean come on.

Accepting character sheets with lazy grammar and/or broken powers. A GM has to have some backbone.

Copying a plot without informing of it.

GMPC’s almost always mean that the GM is gonna live out their fantasy.
Hey! I put lot's of work into my characters I'll have you know! (And so do most gms here, for that matter).

I don't known from what site you come from but I assure you we do things differently (and probably better) here.

On a different note, I've said this before but I feel it needs reiterating: if an interest check has too many replies I get nervous and don't respond to it even if the idea interests me.

On a different note, I've said this before but I feel it needs reiterating: if an interest check has too many replies I get nervous and don't respond to it even if the idea interests me.

I see where you’re coming from, but this is not really the OP’s fault - I have had people comment under my search thread, even if I specified I would only discuss via PM.

I am also a very picky rp-er and it takes a lot to sieve through so many replies to find a potential partner.

In essence lots of comments could only mean that the OP is more or less picky, which can sometimes be a good thing if you now you could make a good match.

I see where you’re coming from, but this is not really the OP’s fault - I have had people comment under my search thread, even if I specified I would only discuss via PM.

I am also a very picky rp-er and it takes a lot to sieve through so many replies to find a potential partner.

In essence lots of comments could only mean that the OP is more or less picky, which can sometimes be a good thing if you now you could make a good match.
Cool but I'm talking about group rps.

Whenever someone says they want an even amount of boys and girls.

1.) Nonbinary people are then stuck
2.) Who are you to restrict my character's gender?
3.) Why?

Whenever someone says they want an even amount of boys and girls.

1.) Nonbinary people are then stuck
2.) Who are you to restrict my character's gender?
3.) Why?

Some role-plays might benefit from an even distribution of genders (High-school role-plays tend to need this to make it feel more like school). Plus a GM can restrict a gender for their setting. For example, a magical girl Roleplay would only consist of girls.

Some role-plays might benefit from an even distribution of genders (High-school role-plays tend to need this to make it feel more like school). Plus a GM can restrict a gender for their setting. For example, a magical girl Roleplay would only consist of girls.
Mmm that last one is debatable. Personally I've seen a lot of magical 'girl' roleplays where there was a guy characters. Just in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back