Viewpoint What makes you nope out of a search thread?

Nothing more annoying than someone trying to rush the possible romance without first seeing if characters have anything in common or even develop some kind of chemistry but oh no the sixth post is the keeper. That's when all the romance should happen. Good grief.

Edit.
That and the person behind the character taking offense to it if it doesn't happen in the blink of an eye.
This is why I like you T Tove ;)

Whenever this happens in a RP, I always think back to a child-hood experiement. They offer a little kid a sweet but say if the child is willing to wait 10 minutes then they'll recieve two sweets instead. It's a lesson of patience as relationships rarely spark straight away and rushing into something tends to put people (including myself) off entirely. :P

A fantastic relationship that pulls my interest is one that builds up, starts off as just co-members of the group, get to know each other a little better over time, become friends once they 'click' after a few weeks or so, *insert serious event where they need to work with and trust one-another to over-come whatever comes their way*, the relationship continues to build to the point where each partner knows the other very personally, build, build and build before finally... more bui-.. just kidding, they may finally realize that they had genuine feelings for the other and they'd rather be with them.

Just my thoughts, I love seeing relationships grow from small beginnings to a level of trust that makes the heart flutter. I struggle with trust in the real world, i've betrayed others and have been betrayed myself. It's an amazing learning experience for someone that has Aspergers and doesn't understand other people's feelings sometimes. It's easy to get into a relationship but for me at least, it's difficult to actually fall in love with someone / get to the levels of trust that I feel genuinely comfortable around them.

Last edited:
My username usually does it. I mean, I haven’t seen any of you and I’m like 10% sure I have done nothing that was listed here lol

Last edited:
This is why I like you T Tove ;)

Whenever this happens in a RP, I always think back to a child-hood experiement. They offer a little kid a sweet but say if the child is willing to wait 10 minutes then they'll recieve two sweets instead. It's a lesson of patience as relationships rarely spark straight away and rushing into something tends to put people (including myself) off entirely. :P

A fantastic relationship that pulls my interest is one that builds up, starts off as just co-members of the group, get to know each other a little better over time, become friends once they 'click' after a few weeks or so, *insert serious event where they need to work with and trust one-another to over-come whatever comes their way*, the relationship continues to build to the point where each partner knows the other very personally, build, build and build before finally... more bui-.. just kidding, they may finally realize that they had genuine feelings for the other and they'd rather be with them.

Just my thoughts, I love seeing relationships grow from small beginnings to a level of trust that makes the heart flutter. I struggle with trust in the real world, i've betrayed others and have been betrayed myself. It's an amazing learning experience for someone that has Aspergers and doesn't understand other people's feelings sometimes. It's easy to get into a relationship but for me at least, it's difficult to actually fall in love with someone / get to the levels of trust that I feel genuinely comfortable around them.
I completely agree with you, Hengleford. Nice to see someone else sharing in the love of building up a genuine relationship.

This definitely turns me away, which is probably weird of me considering that I'm pretty comfortable RPing male characters, so I'd be okay with RPing a male while my RP partner plays a female. And yet... whenever someone says something akin to "I only like to RP females, but I guess I can double up and RP a male if you absolutely want to RP a female too..." It just comes across to me as really reluctant and lazy. I'm definitely guilty of saying the exact opposite (things like "I prefer to RP male characters but can try to RP a female") so I guess I'm not one to talk. But at least I feel like I'm the type who would do my best to give equal attention to all my characters regardless.
I'm the same way. Most of the time I've worked on improving my males and they're pretty much my bread and butter but I do enjoy playing females.

idk but let’s not take our chances
i believe we shouldn’t anger people with peeves for the sake of it

idk but let’s not take our chances
i believe we shouldn’t anger people with peeves for the sake of it

Are you talking to me? Because I was asking out of genuine curiosity. I know some people have stricter rules for text in the roleplay itself than they do in OOC.

Which I mean if it is a readability thing that’s fine. I can’t take random capitalization. It drives me up a wall and makes it hard for me to read.

Are you talking to me? Because I was asking out of genuine curiosity. I know some people have stricter rules for text in the roleplay itself than they do in OOC.

Which I mean if it is a readability thing that’s fine. I can’t take random capitalization. It drives me up a wall and makes it hard for me to read.

What the Actual frick Frackin hell are You talking About?

Like at all or only in the roleplay itself? Like is it okay if it’s just random chat on the site?
In the roleplay but it also bothers me out of the roleplay. I try to not yell at people.
Do you have Flowiest on your ignore? I was responding to their non sequitur.
They randomly capitalized words as a joke because you said you didn't like it.

In the roleplay but it also bothers me out of the roleplay. I try to not yell at people.

They randomly capitalized words as a joke because you said you didn't like it.

Ah right that went over my head. I should have specified I don't like it in the roleplay. It doesn't bother me as much in OOC.

At this point I've becoming annoyingly picky with my search threads, so please don't take offense if you happen to do one of these. (I'm also not really looking to debate 'bout it, y'know?)

1. When someone says convince me. So you have an inkling of a plot, and you're not realllly sure if you wanna do it or not, so you tell your partner to convince you. Why should they convince you to do it? They already know you aren't terribly enthusiastic about it, and no one really wants to nag and push someone they don't really know into doing something. I feel like at times it's a lazy way to just include 'something else unique' in your search thread without really doing anything. Like listen, man. If you don't wanna do something, or you're only looking to do specific things, just state that. It's less of a headache and you're more likely to get someone.

2. How many search threads they already have. I get revamping search threads, and starting over. You get old people to look again at what's new, and collectively everything probably looks or sounds better because you've reworked it. But if I see like...ten of the same search thread in rapid succession to each other because you aren't having luck with one of them, it gives me the sense of being impatient. I know it's super annoying to try and get partners, everyone is different. But please, just bump the one thread in moderation and stop making so many. It clogs it up, and it might just deter people.

3. Certain attitudes, and I'm not even talk rude ones. I've come to notice there are just certain people on here, while absolutely a blast OOC and genuinely good and nice people, tend to be very flaky. I've come to pick up the language they use, and how their posts are structured. I'll be friends with you OOC, but unfortunately I've come to learn how certain people are when it comes to RPs.

4. People who aren't honest about their wants, or feel they have to do a certain thing to fit in. Girl, if you only wanna play a girl, own it! I know there's a ton of people on here who are the same, but you'll find someone who wants to RP with you and your OCs, don't worry. Just be polite about it, and state your preferences clearly. Don't feel the urge to double if you really don't want to, because you're not gonna give it your best. RPing is about enjoying what you write, and what you receive. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't knock on people for only playing.

1. Females
2. Males
3. Nonbinaries
4. M/M,F/F, or M/F when it comes to romance.

I know it's annoying to see such thing because it crosses out potential partners, but c'mon. You wanna enjoy what you write, and they wanna enjoy it too. I don't want to take it away from anyone, and I don't want to force someone to double if they don't want to.

5. Idk if this counts because it applies to people contacting me, but... Please man, if I say PM me, just PM me. I don't bite, and I don't want the comments cluttered up on my thread. I've come to realize people who comment don't even tend to want to RP, and it just kinda gets my hopes up. If I get a PM, I at least known someone is definitely interested. (Also, if you're gonna PM me, please be clear. What plot you wanna do, come in possibly with an offer to show off some writing if you normally RP in PMs, and just be nice and shit.)

6. Fandoms, but specifically only if they want canonxoc.
I know this is def a personally preference, but I just can't get into the mindset of being the fantasy for you. Let's both be OCs, and exist in a universe and create our own stories! Sometimes, hey, people wanna be the canon character actually. I won't knock it, but at least understand why I'm not too interested.

I can't really think of anything else, I'm pretty clear with my stuff in my own search threads I like to think, so I know what I'm looking for. These are more the 'nope, you might have something I like but I'm out,' instead of 'Oh, we just don't match!"

calypso calypso so to be clear you don’t like fandom roleplays period or you don’t like canonxoc roleplays specifically?

As you can definately do fandom roleplays using OC characters or even an AU of the original where your just borrowing the basic idea but making something new.

I tend to agree on the Canon x OC front because fandoms are like art. Everyone is going to have their own interpretation of the source material that influences their personal pairings.

Plus they run into the same problems as regular pairings in that it’s really hard to the two characters with good chemistry, especially if you interpret the canon differently than your partner did.

I’ve noticed a trend that sort of bothers me along with the other problems. It seems everyone of the posts I see has 18+ in their search post because of feeling more comfortable with it is the age of the person roleplaying.

I have roleplayed with really amazingly talented teenagers and some even preteens that could make some adults look like they can’t even write. So it really bothers me that it’s 18+ or a specific age group. It limits you from finding possible people that can roleplay like pro’s or your level or even above when you limit people on age.

I’m an adult and my top three roleplays were done by under 15 year olds. How can they learn and grow and hone their skills if people won’t give them a chance? Besides, who throws their age into the ring anyway before they roleplay?

I’ve noticed a trend that sort of bothers me along with the other problems. It seems everyone of the posts I see has 18+ in their search post because of feeling more comfortable with it is the age of the person roleplaying.

I have roleplayed with really amazingly talented teenagers and some even preteens that could make some adults look like they can’t even write. So it really bothers me that it’s 18+ or a specific age group. It limits you from finding possible people that can roleplay like pro’s or your level or even above when you limit people on age.

I’m an adult and my top three roleplays were done by under 15 year olds. How can they learn and grow and hone their skills if people won’t give them a chance? Besides, who throws their age into the ring anyway before they roleplay?
I mean, I understand why people would want to RP with someone their age. It's uncomfortable to be twenty and writing with someone who's a minor, especially if romance is involved. Being an adult myself, I'd be especially uncomfortable writing with someone who was say, 13-14-15, it's just not something I want to do. A lot of people feel the same way, especially if they're 23 or older. The age difference is too big.

It's not a matter of saying they're a bad RPer, and that they'll never improve. It's simply the fact it's just awkward, and frankly, it comes off as creepy on the end of adults to RPing with someone so young. I get fearful that someone young on the site may be taken advantage of without being aware of it, too.

I mean, I understand why people would want to RP with someone their age. It's uncomfortable to be twenty and writing with someone who's a minor, especially if romance is involved. Being an adult myself, I'd be especially uncomfortable writing with someone who was say, 13-14-15, it's just not something I want to do. A lot of people feel the same way, especially if they're 23 or older. The age difference is too big.

It's not a matter of saying they're a bad RPer, and that they'll never improve. It's simply the fact it's just awkward, and frankly, it comes off as creepy on the end of adults to RPing with someone so young. I get fearful that someone young on the site may be taken advantage of without being aware of it, too.

Oh I definitely agree on your last point but I just don’t think it’s fair to them either. They deserve a chance to develop and hone their skill somehow.

I’ve never actually had an issue with anything while I roleplayed romance with them. My rules are no smut so it only bothers me if they try to push after pg-13.

And I understand the want to be in the same age ranged. It’s cool to have a peer that gets you as a person as well as the roleplay. It just hurts to see 90% on the partner search label 18+.

Oh I definitely agree on your last point but I just don’t think it’s fair to them either. They deserve a chance to develop and hone their skill somehow.

I’ve never actually had an issue with anything while I roleplayed romance with them. My rules are no smut so it only bothers me if they try to push after pg-13.

And I understand the want to be in the same age ranged. It’s cool to have a peer that gets you as a person as well as the roleplay. It just hurts to see 90% on the partner search label 18+.
Well, that's just how it's gonna be on a site with mostly adults on it. I'm sure they'll find a partner to develop their writing with, but I'm sure they also feel the same way towards writing with an adult too. You'd rather write with someone who isn't an adult, like a fellow teen hippity hopping around the school.

Smut is banned on the site, but I'd still be personally uncomfortable with themes of romance with someone younger. Too many things could go wrong, especially because younger RPers tend to get emotionally attached to their characters in an almost OOC way.

Actually, I’m happy to write with anyone as long as we share the same interests story wise, can follow rules and can write a full paragraph. Alien or human or dogs on computers that can think out interesting twists and turns. Actually, that might be a fun roleplay idea.

But again, I can understand - it’s far more comfortable with a person close to your age.

I had someone want to do two different conversations for a Yugioh 1 x 1 once - I didn’t like the idea since it’s much easier to separate with something like this *~—~* for characters and as soon as I told them it would be much easier the other way they completely ditched me.

I was annoyed with that a bit. Why over complicate things if you don’t have to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back