Viewpoint What makes you nope out of a search thread?

"I'm bored."
"Give me your ideas I don't have any."
"I really am into anything seriously. Anything!"

1. When people do this stuff the whole interest check.
2. Or when people middle align
giant freaking paragraphs for
an entire page and it
makes me dizzy although if the
idea is good enough I'll clench my teeth and
read on, also
run-on sentences
that never end for some reason always
follow these threads
but whatever, you
know who you are​

Otherwise, give me a clearly explained goal and an obstacle and I will even roleplay as a brick in a wall.

"I only play uke/sub/bottom!!!!!"
Idk. It just irks me somehow. It seems like they are trying to force the characters into some box based on those stereotypical roles in the bed. Besides, when the roleplay doesn't have sexual content, what is the point???? Ofc there may be people who don't do this, but to me it always sounds like I am forced to play some super dominant character who has no other traits just for the sake of their sexual fantasy, and their character's only trait is to be submissive. Why would those define someone's personality?

Idk. It just irks me somehow. It seems like they are trying to force the characters into some box based on those stereotypical roles in the bed. Besides, when the roleplay doesn't have sexual content, what is the point???? Ofc there may be people who don't do this, but to me it always sounds like I am forced to play some super dominant character who has no other traits just for the sake of their sexual fantasy, and their character's only trait is to be submissive. Why would those define someone's personality?
right??? i don't understand this or why people do it outside of the context of ERP. honestly, even IN that context, i will almost always leave if somebody hits me with seme/uke terminology in particular. it just feels weird and juvenile to me?? in terms of totally SFW stuff, it just gets my goat when someone is kind of... telling me what kind of character i'm going to play regardless of plot or dynamic? it isn't that i wouldn't WANT to play that type of character or anything, it's just so bizarre to go about it that way!

I think it’s a bit connected to romance tropes. The “shy/submissive woman” and the “dominant/masculine male”

You know your classic alpha male sweeps shy lady off her feet for romance type thing

The difference is the characters are both men. But they are essentially feminizing one of the males so he takes on the woman’s role.

I mean it’s still kinda of bad writing. Because no person is solely defined by one character trait. If the character really is just “shy/submissive” with no other traits than they are boring.

Ridiculously excessive BBcoding where the entire background is a gif brighter than the sun and makes you have a seizure if you stare at it for more than eight seconds that's paired with tiny text with an unreadable font.

Ridiculously excessive BBcoding where the entire background is a gif brighter than the sun and makes you have a seizure if you stare at it for more than eight seconds that's paired with tiny text with an unreadable font.

3. The added interactivity is having to copy this into notepad to read it.

4. Aw shit here we go again.

5. There is very important information right here.
Focus all your senses, because this will be one hell of a wild ride.

3. The added interactivity is having to copy this into notepad to read it.

4. Aw shit here we go again.

5. There is very important information right here.
Focus all your senses, because this will be one hell of a wild ride.

Gah! What the hell is this headache inducing madness!

Also, what if someone with epilepsy reads the thread of whoever makes crap like this.

Oh god yeah BBCode
A lot of it looks pretty but is impossible to actually read, because the text can be so tiny or is on top of background colours that hurt to look at (please please stop putting white text over a light patterned background i cannot r e a d i ttt), it often won't load properly or at all on mobile, and is just generally good at making things less accessible. I think it can be fun to mess with but at least include a plain version if you're gonna go crazy with it-
So yeah if I can't actually read the search thread without giving myself a headache then that's gonna turn me away

PASSWORDS! Albeit, they are not as prevalent now as they were a decade ago.

There are people who hide one, two, three word passwords in their ads or rules and demand you write it in your reply as a proof of reading. I mean, sure, you can require grammar or age, but I am not reaponding to ultimatums; and this feels like an ultimatum more than "18+" or "semi-literate".

There are people who hide one, two, three word passwords in their ads or rules and demand you write it in your reply as a proof of reading. I mean, sure, you can require grammar or age, but I am not reaponding to ultimatums; and this feels like an ultimatum more than "18+" or "semi-literate".

Admittedly, I used to do this.

However, I now think it's stupid.

I can definitely see how you see it as an ultimatum, but for me, it's more like... pointless. People can skim or even skip (usually to the last rule) to find the password, and then guess what, they STILL haven't read your rules and have no idea if they're compatible rp wise.

What's the point? IMO, of course.

Admittedly, I used to do this.

However, I now think it's stupid.

I can definitely see how you see it as an ultimatum, but for me, it's more like... pointless. People can skim or even skip (usually to the last rule) to find the password, and then guess what, they STILL haven't read your rules and have no idea if they're compatible rp wise.

What's the point? IMO, of course.

Gotta be real, I still sort of do this, if only because they're sometimes fun to come up with.

Especially if it's something like "Grover's wedding dress" and then I just have a LAUGH

Otherwise I try not to do it anymore, since I realized most people still won't read everything. Then I get to make them squirm when I say, "Please read my post for the answer to that question."

Passwords are w e a k. From now on, to even read my interest check you need to complete a series of riddles
i kid
I think passwords can be useful, as long as it's just a simple "say ___ if you've read it properly" because there are a surprising amount of people who skim read the most important parts, like the requirements.

Passwords are w e a k. From now on, to even read my interest check you need to complete a series of riddles
i kid
I think passwords can be useful, as long as it's just a simple "say ___ if you've read it properly" because there are a surprising amount of people who skim read the most important parts, like the requirements.

The problem is even people who DO read the entire thing might not remember to put in a password. And there is nothing to stop the skimmers from just picking out the password and ignoring the rest. So I find if you really want to double-check that people actually know your requirements - just send them an update in the planning stage.

If you send it to the person directly than they have no excuse for not reading it. And if they happen to forget (which happens to me all the time) they can just skim back through the actual planning conversation instead of having to find your search thread and read through your requests all over again.

Biggest group rp turn off:
When half the characters are introverted emo twits

Biggest 1x1 turn off:
100% passive roleplayers with no intention of adding to storyline creation

When I ask a few questions, and only one gets answered. It annoyes me so much to have to retype the same thing 3 times to get everything answered. Especially as I rp via mobile most of the time.

Biggest group rp turn off:
When half the characters are introverted emo twits

Biggest 1x1 turn off:
100% passive roleplayers with no intention of adding to storyline creation

Preach. Little emo brats have been run into the dirt. Would it kill them to try writing someone with social skills?

Joins a roleplay where the characters are in a team.

Makes a character that has zero interest in working as a team.

10/10 logic...

Joins a roleplay where the characters are in a team.

Makes a character that has zero interest in working as a team.

10/10 logic...

Had a partner do this in a 1x1. Like deliberately make their character anti social to the point that each of their posts where basically one shots.

Like the character going to work, going on a date, etc.

All while my character is like trying to get in touch with them so the two can team up to solve a mystery. I literally made two different characters and asked them to make two characters. And make sure the second one actually interacted with mine. And no his two characters interacted together.

And their response? Oh I did it on purpose, I like to see how long it takes my partners to say something. Which in hindsight is a red flag all on its own. Like who pulls this shit deliberately just to get a rise out of their partner?

At least thirteen year olds don’t know any better. Needless to say that person was blocked and the roleplay was dropped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back