Viewpoint What makes you nope out of a search thread?

I disagreed with lots of people’s “Nopes” on this thread, but I didn’t say anything.
It's fine to have a conversation. People can say what they personally agree or disagree with, and sometimes these conversations can be an interesting way for me to see another side that maybe I didn't see before. c:

It's fine to have a conversation. People can say what they personally agree or disagree with, and sometimes these conversations can be an interesting way for me to see another side that maybe I didn't see before. c:
I guess I’ll converse, then.
I can’t say I agree. Doubling is a perfectly reasonable requirement, as well as OOC talk. Some stories take lots of planning and communication is key in keeping a story going for more than 3 replies.
I’d appreciate it if you stated your opinions as such, rather than calling one of my pet peeves reasonable like it’s a fact. Currently, you’ve just told an arachnophobe that spiders aren’t that scary.

I consider OOC talk that friendly small talk people tend to insist on. RP discussion is fine with me. I just don’t want you asking me how my day was.

- high word count requirements
i usually write 1-2 paragraphs, and the shortest post i’ve written recently was ~60 words, but if you expect multiparagraph posts every post? nope

- romance only
i don’t like threads where the only driving factor is romance. mostly just a personal preference.

- requires daily/near daily responses
during the school year, i’m busy. i don’t always have time to roleplay, or sometimes i don’t have the energy to write up a decent post. and i also have other creative projects.
i usually look for stuff that wants a minimum of one-two responses a week, more if op is lentient with it.

By that I mean that if I know that they tend to bail quickly on rps or seem flaky or anything like that. If the gm or OP is known for that, I tend to be hesitant about joining given their tendencies

I guess I’ll converse, then.

I’d appreciate it if you stated your opinions as such, rather than calling one of my pet peeves reasonable like it’s a fact. Currently, you’ve just told an arachnophobe that spiders aren’t that scary.

I consider OOC talk that friendly small talk people tend to insist on. RP discussion is fine with me. I just don’t want you asking me how my day was.

Again, I didn’t throw my words at you. The thread is called ‘roleplay discussion’. I’m the thread starter... I like to have discussions with people who reply to my post. I’m not judging your preferences. I simply stated I disagree and explained why. Sometimes different opinions are helpful. I really don’t want to argue for nothing, lol.

- requires daily/near daily responses
during the school year, i’m busy. i don’t always have time to roleplay, or sometimes i don’t have the energy to write up a decent post. and i also have other creative projects.
i usually look for stuff that wants a minimum of one-two responses a week, more if op is lentient with it.

I saw someone complain very aggressively about their partner taking ‘a literal hour’ to reply. I guess it’s a preference, i don’t know the word count they asked for but I’d personally wait a bit more for a good reply than just get something bland in return. Patience is a gift

I saw someone complain very aggressively about their partner taking ‘a literal hour’ to reply. I guess it’s a preference, i don’t know the word count they asked for but I’d personally wait a bit more for a good reply than just get something bland in return. Patience is a gift
When it comes to that stuff, I'd be happy to just get a reply at ALL. Honestly can't tell you how jaded I became after so many rps have been ditched cuz of partners falling off the face of the globe or something.

When it comes to that stuff, I'd be happy to just get a reply at ALL. Honestly can't tell you how jaded I became after so many rps have been ditched cuz of partners falling off the face of the globe or something.

This is why I state how often I post, how long my replies are and all that jazz in my search thread. I’m pretty much a doormat and I feel bad about complaining to my partners.

Doubling to me means not having to write a story involving only 2 characters. I normally play multiple characters and although I love romance I don’t always pair them. But I see where you’re coming from, I have spotted some threads like that and it’s certainly not my cup of tea either.

Yeah see that’s the problem. That isn’t at all the common definition for doubling on this site. As I said nearly all the people who use that term on this site mean what I described.

Basically writing two heterosexual pairings. Or at the very least two pairings in general.

I liken it to the F word. (Rhymes with maggot). Maybe to you that word just means cigarette and you don’t see why everyone is so harsh to smokers.

Whereas to most people when they see that word they think the person is using a slur against gay people.

&Honestly if you do want to play multiple characters and you want to put that in an interest check. Your far better off just saying “I play multiple main characters and I would like it if you could too.”

That way people know what you mean and you have less of a chance of being skipped over because people thing you mean something else.

Yeah see that’s the problem. That isn’t at all the common definition for doubling on this site. As I said nearly all the people who use that term on this site mean what I described.

Basically writing two heterosexual pairings. Or at the very least two pairings in general.

I liken it to the F word. (Rhymes with maggot). Maybe to you that word just means cigarette and you don’t see why everyone is so harsh to smokers.

Whereas to most people when they see that word they think the person is using a slur against gay people.

&Honestly if you do want to play multiple characters and you want to put that in an interest check. Your far better off just saying “I play multiple main characters and I would like it if you could too.”

That way people know what you mean and you have less of a chance of being skipped over because people thing you mean something else.

Frankly I don't use this term, like I said I just state I play multiple characters. I'll be more careful from now on, haha

Again, I didn’t throw my words at you. The thread is called ‘roleplay discussion’. I’m the thread starter... I like to have discussions with people who reply to my post. I’m not judging your preferences. I simply stated I disagree and explained why. Sometimes different opinions are helpful. I really don’t want to argue for nothing, lol.
Aaaand this is why I wish I was kind and bubbly and stay away from people who are. People don’t read my words more than they feel I’m trying to fight.

Forget about it.

Aaaand this is why I wish I was kind and bubbly and stay away from people who are. People don’t read my words more than they feel I’m trying to fight.

Forget about it.

I think the problem is that on the internet especially there is a tendency to assume common meanings to very (for lack of a better word) colloquial terms. Like to you - OOC chat - means hey I want to be friends with my partner and chit-chat about my day.

Whereas to other people - OOC chat - might mean hey I am going to need you to communicate with me about things like setting, plot, etc.

I tend to find the best remedy to this is just spell out what you want. It's kind of obnoxious and it can seem silly but at least that way you know right off the bat that people know exactly what your expectations are.

So for me I am constantly trying to update my threads to be as informative as possible. It can be a challenge because I don't always realize when I'm just assuming my own definition for something is universal. But it definately helps when I go back and state specifically "I want X."

Might be a bit off-topic, but regarding doubling, I once had a super odd thing happen.
I really wanted to play in one specific fandom and stumbled over only a single person listing it in their search thread. So I wrote them: they wanted to play a specific female character and I wanted to play a specific male character, who happened to be a good match. Seems ok so far? THEN they told me they only do doubling and insisted that I pick someone ELSE to play on top of what we already had and tell them who I wanted them to play. I went like: hey, I don't understand, is this really necessary, when both of us are already getting what we wanted out of this? Because I am completely happy with things being as they are and I can play whoever else as NPC. Then they go like: you know what, I don't think we'd be a good match, bye.

Might be a bit off-topic, but regarding doubling, I once had a super odd thing happen.
I really wanted to play in one specific fandom and stumbled over only a single person listing it in their search thread. So I wrote them: they wanted to play a specific female character and I wanted to play a specific male character, who happened to be a good match. Seems ok so far? THEN they told me they only do doubling and insisted that I pick someone ELSE to play on top of what we already had and tell them who I wanted them to play. I went like: hey, I don't understand, is this really necessary, when both of us are already getting what we wanted out of this? Because I am completely happy with things being as they are and I can play whoever else as NPC. Then they go like: you know what, I don't think we'd be a good match, bye.

Yeah I don't get that, I've had it happen a time or two before. Where I tell them like I don't really mind playing X gender or Y canon or whatever. I don't need you to play anyone else for me. But they like weirdly fixated on it. Like are you sure? No really are you super sure? What about really super duper ultra sure?

That's when I usually nope out myself. Because I'm like if you're going to be breathing down my neck about this silly inconsequential thing before we even get anywhere I don't want to know what kind of nightmare you're going to be when I have to actually state an important opinion. God we'll probably still be talking about it come next christmas.

Yeah I don't get that, I've had it happen a time or two before. Where I tell them like I don't really mind playing X gender or Y canon or whatever. I don't need you to play anyone else for me. But they like weirdly fixated on it. Like are you sure? No really are you super sure? What about really super duper ultra sure?

That's when I usually nope out myself. Because I'm like if you're going to be breathing down my neck about this silly inconsequential thing before we even get anywhere I don't want to know what kind of nightmare you're going to be when I have to actually state an important opinion. God we'll probably still be talking about it come next christmas.

I don't get that either. I mean: we have these two characters we enjoy. Why not just RP? Why do we need to pick OTHER TWO characters we enjoy less and force them into the game? :yakuza2:

Not to mention I usually find doubling RPs kind of clumsy. The need to always write for two characters destroys the immersion for me; often times one pair is having a deep conversation and I can't focus on it if I'm simultaneously writing the other pair getting drunk and backtalking someone in the pub etc. Not to mention that sometimes writing the char I had not originally wanted is a duty all along, which then makes me enjoy the whole thing less. So lately I have been avoiding doubling altogether with a single exception, which has been presented (like you mentioned) as "multiple characters" and it works that way; there really is a huuuuuge difference between that and what is understood as doubling here.

ever considered you just don't like authority or being told what to do?

better to assert standards than get stuck with someone who is garbage, which happens more often than not, so simply scaring off the shy butterflies isn't a bad tactic.

Only playing a single gender. I want someone open minded at the very least to try. I don't see why someone would limit themselves and then whine about not being good at the other gender when they don't try.

If someone expects me to play a gender for them, it makes me feel used like I'm just a tool for the other writer where it doesn't feel fair or balanced. I think RPs should be about balance and to push your limits on your partners makes me not want to write with them so I nope out of there real quick if they say "I only play girls cause I'm a girl." or something, I laugh and hit that backspace real quick.

Only playing a single gender. I want someone open minded at the very least to try. I don't see why someone would limit themselves and then whine about not being good at the other gender when they don't try.

If someone expects me to play a gender for them, it makes me feel used like I'm just a tool for the other writer where it doesn't feel fair or balanced. I think RPs should be about balance and to push your limits on your partners makes me not want to write with them so I nope out of there real quick if they say "I only play girls cause I'm a girl." or something, I laugh and hit that backspace real quick.

That seems legit to me. I rarely play women, because I don't enjoy it. (Plot twist: I am a woman in real life, but I don't enjoy that either). I don't have a specific desire to be better at something I don't like very much, I'd rather devote my time to writing a character I like than to an exercise. Of course someone might not like that approach, but there are always a lot of people who will enjoy playing a female more, or who like M/M, so it will all work out in the end.

That seems legit to me. I rarely play women, because I don't enjoy it. (Plot twist: I am a woman in real life, but I don't enjoy that either). I don't have a specific desire to be better at something I don't like very much, I'd rather devote my time to writing a character I like than to an exercise. Of course someone might not like that approach, but there are always a lot of people who will enjoy playing a female more, or who like M/M, so it will all work out in the end.

I think the problem is that you are playing YOUR OWN preference by choosing to play a male. No one is demanding you play a male your choosing to do that on your own. It's another kettle of fish if 90% of all roleplay demanded that you play a female whether you liked it or not. If you don't play the female than you don't get to join the roleplay. Sure you could just wait around for the 10% that let you play whomever you want but it doesn't make the other 90% any less annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back