Viewpoint What makes you nope out of a search thread?

^gotcha

But to contribute to the thread:
- Ridiculous coding that has like three mini menus and scrolling windows with a floating background, etc. etc. There is such a thing as too much. I get that you want to show off that you know some cool coding, but most of the time it's overkill.
- When the RT is very vague and undefined, the GM has no real plot in mind, and there isn't even a CS in place
- When the premise is just another copy of the same types of plot/setting we already can find N amount of times in the rest of the forum
- When the RT tries to disguise itself as an original setting, but is an obvious rip-off of a movie/series
- Overdone fandoms, Slice-of-life, romance
- Playing Canon characters
- An RT rife with grammatical and syntax errors. A few is normal. But if the whole thing is a run-on, train wreck that is difficult to understand; I can only imagine what the narrative will be like.

Last edited:
basically any 1x1 search that lists "i'm interested in rping a/b/o, incest, dom/sub, large age gaps" etc etc.
first of all, fucking ew. people can like what they want yadda yadda yadda but i'll still judge sketchy interests like that from afar.
second of all, i don't get why people use sexual terms like that for rps when erotic rping isn't even allowed. yikes.
what is "a/b/o"?

^gotcha

- When the RT is very vague and undefined, the GM has no real plot in mind, and there isn't even a CS in place
- When the premise is just another copy of the same types of plot/setting we already can find N amount of times in the rest of the forum
- When the RT tries to disguise itself as an original setting but is an obvious rip-off of a movie/series
- An RT rife with grammatical and syntax errors. A few are normal. but if the whole thing is a run-on, train wreck... I can only imagine what the narrative will be like.
I do agree with a couple of your points on the matter of threads in general, I have seen quite a few threads, which are made up of nothing but two sentences, so I do agree with the general idea of thread contribution
and overdone fandoms are a Turn-off for me as well, (I know you are probably gonna reply to me about the fandom I Rp but hey whatevs)), the main ones I am getting tired of are the reality or non-animated TV shows, I love Animated movies and shows, the allow more creativity than regular TV shows in my opinion.

^gotcha

- When the RT tries to disguise itself as an original setting, but is an obvious rip-off of a movie/series
- An RT rife with grammatical and syntax errors. A few is normal. But if the whole thing is a run-on, train wreck that is difficult to understand; I can only imagine what the narrative will be like.

These examples with no other reference to a particular complaint (of which I've seen many examples of this complaint) could be either group or 1x1.
Just on my own and talking to friends I've seen or heard of many 1x1 and groups that are vague. "Hey, I want a RP. IDK. Maybe MLP or some Fallout type thing. We can make it original if you want. Wanna talk note me." Heck, I saw one where the only hint it was a group was someone complaining in the comments to a friend only two people were interested and he needed at least four.

And of course things that look like recycled ideas, several of the same fandom and plot types have no rules over the number of players someone may want and can fall under either. And a post looking like it's typed in a auto-correct that puked happens all over the internet, not just RP searches. (Mine tried to turn writing into right. And it doesn't know if autocorrect is one or two words)

Romance is usually a 1x1 and the bane of us 1x1 who get people thinking they are about to hook up characters no matter how you word your search. I had someone yeet out just as the RP started thinking it was a hook up even thought I put PLATONIC right in the title. I have seen groups that specify whether hook ups are allowed or not. And I've seen some group searches looking for harems and love octagon plots before. They usually have some detailed plot ideas though.

basically any 1x1 search that lists "i'm interested in rping a/b/o, incest, dom/sub, large age gaps" etc etc.
Such posts should be reported if you come across them. In some cases it may be wrong word usage but either way they're huge red flags and we'd rather review those.

what is "a/b/o"?
It refers to Omegaverse. Which is used as a sexual kink in many cases.

Such posts should be reported if you come across them. In some cases it may be wrong word usage but either way they're huge red flags and we'd rather review those.

It refers to Omegaverse. Which is used as a sexual kink in many cases.
I should not have looked up omegaverse on wikipedia
I no longer wish to live

I do agree with a couple of your points on the matter of threads in general, I have seen quite a few threads, which are made up of nothing but two sentences, so I do agree with the general idea of thread contribution
and overdone fandoms are a Turn-off for me as well, (I know you are probably gonna reply to me about the fandom I Rp but hey whatevs)), the main ones I am getting tired of are the reality or non-animated TV shows, I love Animated movies and shows, the allow more creativity than regular TV shows in my opinion.
The way I see it, if you are going to put out a Request thread, it is your responsibility as a poster to provide a goodly amount of substance to the people who might click in on it. Putting out a half thought out idea that is barely a ghost of a notion is kind of annoying to waste time in looking over.

To be perfectly truthful, the overdone fandoms aren't something I even click into (as they are never about a fandom I care about), so they only take up space on the forum list. There is no "backing out" because I never even click in. lol

As far as your go-to fandom🤖, I wouldn't call it overdone. I mean, it's not like I keep a lookout for them, myself. But I don't really see Gundam RTs filling up the pages.

I should not have looked up omegaverse on wikipedia
I no longer wish to live

I'm sorry. At least you didn't have someone try to send a scene to you in a note on DA to get 'your interest.'

To help clear your head here is a picture of my cats playing gladiators on a cat tree.

Attachments

• Cat Fight.jpg
    Cat Fight.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
In fact we had a highlight on sexual kinks and usage of those terms in our September Newsletter.

Also, please stop discussing that topic here since Omegaverse is not allowed on the site.

My smile and optimism : restored

Cats always restore optimism. So innocent even when being bratty.

In fact we had a highlight on sexual kinks and usage of those terms in our September Newsletter.

Also, please stop discussing that topic here since Omegaverse is not allowed on the site.

Sorry for trailing off. I do appreciate the moderators here for sticking to their guns on the no sexual RP rules. It's what led me to this site.

I feel ignored now. lol
I feel like I chide in a lot in the non-RP section of this site, and I'm avidly NOT a 1x1 RPer. j/s ;-)

Also, how is it that you can tell what the members participate in just by their comments?
Mainly certain plots and complaints can lend themselves far more to either group or 1x1. If you see someone complaining about GMs, cliques, people ignoring your posts and running on the story then that is far likely more a group. Though some people call the 'lead' in a setting in 1x1 a gm or could be complaining about their RP being ignored by a partner who is still posting in other RPs. The wording in the post most likely has other hints.

When people are complaining about a 'partner' or seeming to only refer to one person having issue it's likely a 1x1. Though some groups do have people that tend to team up.
What they said.

Playing canon characters. While I'm perfectly fine with canon characters in a fandom RP, I'm NOT fine with that character being used as a main character and certainly not playing the character myself. It would mean that I'm beholdened to the layout of the character. Their looks, quirks, abilities, and personality are all pre-determined. I can't do that. I need my partners to have originality in characters.

Playing IRL people. I can't see myself RPing as a real life person. I can use a real life face claim (so long as it's not a celebrity or actor), but if you want me to RP an actual member of BTS, it's a nope (not that I would do a KPop RP anyways. Just an example). This includes (especially includes actually) dead people, so historic figures are a nope for me as well...........unless it's a fictional portrayal. I can do Abraham Lincoln if he's a vampire slayer. I can't do Abe Lincoln as he actually lived

Large post length requirements. I've seen some threads that require 3-5 large paragraphs PER POST. It's too much and invites sooooo much needless filler under the guise of a "better" RP or "more advanced" partner. Every time I've seen it, it's just needless filler. It makes dialog so much worse as well because direct conversations lack flow. In order to hit that post length requirement, you now have to describe everything you can think of just to respond to what's been said. You should be able to describe body language and thoughts, and then the dialog in 1 large paragraph or 1-2 moderate paragraphs. It's 1 thing to say at least 1 paragraph because that's easy. Most of what the writer wants to get across while still contributing to the RP can be done in 1 paragraph. Anything less is usually JUST responding to something that has happened. Large post requirements invites filler to the brim

No plot or direction. I've dealt with WAAAYY too many people who have a vague idea and want ME to mold that into a coherent RP. I enjoy building worlds from the ground up with a partner. Asking a lot of questions, establishing consent and boundaries as to where the RP will go and what themes are fine and what are a no-go, establishing gender and species pairings where applicable, the relationship, etc. However, I'm done with players who need to be dragged through the RP. I'm done with players who have absolutely no idea what they want from their RP. If you can't give me SOME idea on what you want to do, you really need to go back to the drawing board.........and actually start drawing.

Illegible Coding. This is a dealbreaker I'll know immediately. If I can't read it relatively normally, I'm not joining. I don't know what it is with people and putting super small white text on a light pink background all within a small scroll box, but it's a nope for me..........and this is coming from someone who primarily RPs on a computer. I really don't want to strain my eyes or mess around with site settings to see.

Large post length requirements. I've seen some threads that require 3-5 large paragraphs PER POST. It's too much and invites sooooo much needless filler under the guise of a "better" RP or "more advanced" partner. Every time I've seen it, it's just needless filler. It makes dialog so much worse as well because direct conversations lack flow. In order to hit that post length requirement, you now have to describe everything you can think of just to respond to what's been said. You should be able to describe body language and thoughts, and then the dialog in 1 large paragraph or 1-2 moderate paragraphs. It's 1 thing to say at least 1 paragraph because that's easy. Most of what the writer wants to get across while still contributing to the RP can be done in 1 paragraph. Anything less is usually JUST responding to something that has happened. Large post requirements invites filler to the brim

In fairness it’s usually pretty easy if you mirror. As typically speaking your partner is giving you enough context to respond with similar length.

I gotta say I have been doing about 3-5 paragraphs for years (both myself and my partners) and I have never found them to be particularly purple prose ridden.

But that’s usually writing with people who don’t count paragraphs. In my experience that’s usually the issue. People writing outside their comfort zone will focus more on paragraph numbers than content.

But people who don’t count will just write until they have completed their thought.

That said I usually just put what my average length is per post and offer up writing samples. It’s less demanding and gets the same information across

When the OP sounds needy or high-maintenance. Examples include: complaining "I can't ever find any RPs, sigh, I might as well try again but I"m not expecting anything, sigh" or running themselves down "I guess no one will ever want to RP with me or anything ORZ."

It just flashes so many red warning bulbs at me that I will not get along with this person and they will constantly be whining at me. Sorry but I'm not in the market for taking on any more people's problems. I know this sounds mean, but it's the truth, sorry!

It’s the same problem with minimum post requirements. You become more concerned about hitting a specific post length/word count and less on the content of your post.
Throw them out of the window. You'll feel much happier when you forget about those. ^33^ If you're not writing one-liners it's already fine. Sometimes even one-liners are fine.

I think a word range is fine as long as you don't get militant about people going over or under it. I personally would not want a response less than three sentences ever, no matter the circumstances, but lots of people don't mind that, so it's good to tell people what you expect from them as well as what you will provide.

These examples with no other reference to a particular complaint (of which I've seen many examples of this complaint) could be either group or 1x1.
Just on my own and talking to friends I've seen or heard of many 1x1 and groups that are vague. "Hey, I want a RP. IDK. Maybe MLP or some Fallout type thing. We can make it original if you want. Wanna talk note me." Heck, I saw one where the only hint it was a group was someone complaining in the comments to a friend only two people were interested and he needed at least four.
yeah... that's not an RT... thats more of a conversation that might eventually BECOME an RT, but is still n the fetal stages. lol

And of course things that look like recycled ideas, several of the same fandom and plot types have no rules over the number of players someone may want and can fall under either. And a post looking like it's typed in a auto-correct that puked happens all over the internet, not just RP searches. (Mine tried to turn writing into right. And it doesn't know if autocorrect is one or two words)
I'll never understand this. I have typed one-handed while eating and talking to a toddler, and my posts don't sound like a random word jumble. I'm thinking maybe this has to do with the variety of devices that people use to type nowadays. My hubby types stories on his tablet, and I've proofread them before he posts and find all kinds of weird words in place of what he meant to type. But if he uses my laptop, its fine. So it's just the device he uses. BUT HE KNOWS THIS, and its why I proofread for him. Why other people don't read over their stuff before they post is beyond me. and even AFTER they post it. We have an edit option... jeezus!

Romance is usually a 1x1 and the bane of us 1x1 who get people thinking they are about to hook up characters no matter how you word your search. I had someone yeet out just as the RP started thinking it was a hook up even thought I put PLATONIC right in the title. I have seen groups that specify whether hook ups are allowed or not. And I've seen some group searches looking for harems and love octagon plots before. They usually have some detailed plot ideas though.
Yeah, back when I still did 1x1s, this was very frustrating for me. I've NEVER had an interest in romantic RPs. In groups, it is rare to see them. But in 1x1s they are really popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back