Viewpoint What makes you nope out of a search thread?

Not sure if I said this one or not. But back on Deviantart I noped out of a ton of RPs not because of the actual RP ad post. It was looking at the person's page, conversation history (if they weren't on privacy setting that prevented it) and even looking at the front page comments.

Well atleast my conversation history is clean! Like daamn.

When the OP has several interest checks up at the same time, or puts up a new one very frequently, especially if they aren't very fleshed out. It makes me feel like they are not committed. I don't want to join an RP only for the GM to be like "Oh more people were interested in idea Z so I'm dropping idea X and doing that one." I mean, it could be that they are just very prolific and have lots of time to run multiple RPs but it doesn't feel that way.

When the OP has several interest checks up at the same time, or puts up a new one very frequently, especially if they aren't very fleshed out. It makes me feel like they are not committed. I don't want to join an RP only for the GM to be like "Oh more people were interested in idea Z so I'm dropping idea X and doing that one." I mean, it could be that they are just very prolific and have lots of time to run multiple RPs but it doesn't feel that way.
I can imagine that.

Damn, I'm feeling the same way. It's way smarter to put a dozen ideas into one thread if you feel they're similar.

Damn, I'm feeling the same way. It's way smarter to put a dozen ideas into one thread if you feel they're similar.

Sure, and if they are dissimilar, how about waiting at least a week or two before posting a new one? Or running a poll in a single thread?

I usually put ALL of my ideas in one thread. So that it becomes easier for other people to navigate , but it would be a ton of ideas at the bottom of the page, while I am up for brainstorming I store my ideas down there.

Not to mention, it's just... extremely annoying in general when people do that.

Honestly the main issue for me would be if I can’t read/comprehend it. If it’s a coding issue and I’m *really* interested, I may ask for alt text, but otherwise it’s something I’ll just say “meh” to. But having a lot of grammar issues is a turn away too.

This also is more of a personal thing but I often get really turned away if people don’t break up paragraphs or not because I have a disorder similar to dyslexia that makes my brain shut down if there’s walls and walls of text. This also goes to the comprehending thing.

I also shy away from people who demand more than 2-3 paragraphs because even though I’m not new to RP, I’m still fairly novice with novella style and have a hard time writing that much. Especially since usually when I RP it’s because I want to escape reality or something, not to stress over “omg I can’t match their post length what do I do”.

- Attitude. I don't care if you're the best writer to grace the Earth with their existence-- if you make me feel nervous about posting, I don't wanna write with you. (Also, it has been my experience that people who think they are Artists or something generally... aren't what I look for, writing-wise.)

- Only having pairings listed and nothing else. That doesn't inspire me to think of a plot. At least tell me what you like!

- Too much bbcode. I write on mobile, so this is self-explanatory.

- Only writing slice-of-life. Sorry, not exciting enough for me!

- Bad grammar. Like, yeah, typos happen, and as an ESL, I know I also make mistakes that aren't typos from time to time, but c'mon. Put some effort into this!

- The person in question seeming needy. You know the types-- those that complain about people not wanting to roleplay with them, about being ghosted constantly, etc. etc. Not a mindset I enjoy.

- Dynamics such as student/teacher, vampire/werewolf, etc. It feels uninspired. Oh, and school settings in general. I hate school as a setting. Being forced to conform to very rigid schedules just doesn't do it for me RP-wise. I want to travel and do cool things in RPs, not write about being bored in a maths class!

Nobody actually roleplays out classes in school settings. They exist to facilitate dating simulators, and power fantasies about beating up bullies.

Nobody actually roleplays out classes in school settings. They exist to facilitate dating simulators, and power fantasies about beating up bullies.

Some people do. According to a rant fest with a friend they were in an RP that ended up being someone acting out horrible teachers and unfair treatment and favortism in grading. He had a talk with the person then yeeted out when after he finally trudged through one class they tried to go into second period.

The subject of the rant was basically RP partners who don't listen because they are just venting real life. It was suppose to be an X-Men Evolution style RP.

I don't do school RP's(with the exception of Harry Potter and X-Men I suppose), but I have noticed this in ones I have stumbled on. I have seen classes played out in Harry Potter RP's, but I suspect it's because they're not ordinary classes like what we have in real life. They're learning magic rather than math.

It's kind of like that in books to.

In your average young adult novel any classes seen will either have unrelated stuff happen during them or be part of a montage. In Harry Potter you get to see the classes because cool magic shit.

Search threads where the person describes themselves as picky when it comes to looking for potential partners. We all have our different ways of searching for partners but that just makes me stop looking at the thread even if there are things I might find interesting.

School based roleplays, romance only, threads where the poster describes the character I will be playing. Lack of a search thread is not appealing either.

I'm picky as hell, which says more about me than anything. But a few of'em:

1) the entire thing is lowercase. not one sentence is capitalized. often no periods

2) "Hey guys, I wanna run -X- Rp, what do you think I should do?" If you have an int check, I'm assuming you HAVE an idea!

3) Is that... 30 + pages? Yeah, no, I'm advanced and all, but ain't nobody got time for that!

Excessive coding. I honestly can’t stand it, especially when it just makes things harder to read. Like, is this really necessary? I understand making things look nice, but you do realize there is such a thing as too much. Don’t get me started when people use .2 sized font. Argh!

I'm picky as hell, which says more about me than anything. But a few of'em:

1) the entire thing is lowercase. not one sentence is capitalized. often no periods

2) "Hey guys, I wanna run -X- Rp, what do you think I should do?" If you have an int check, I'm assuming you HAVE an idea!

3) Is that... 30 + pages? Yeah, no, I'm advanced and all, but ain't nobody got time for that!

Oh man, the interest checks that just say something like "Let's RP, I'm up for anything" or something along those lines are the worst. Chances are the person is not up for anything. I have tested it before in the past by suggesting something more obscure and the person was like "nope".

tumblr_mi7uci7Tbk1rknrf9o1_500.gif

A search thread where the character I am expected to play is not only dominant (because that's how characters seemed to be defined with nothing else behind them) they also are generally an a-hole, and overprotective.

Requiring character portraits, especially RL ones. Unless I base a character off an image, it's almost impossible to find one that fits without compromising.

Requiring character portraits, especially RL ones. Unless I base a character off an image, it's almost impossible to find one that fits without compromising.
Another one for the anti-faceclaim movement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back