Viewpoint What makes you nope out of a search thread?

I think im very open.

The only think i heavily dislike is to RP as an existing, canon character. Not that i never did this before, but i get really unconfortable if i feel im being used for the person to jerk off to their husbando/waifu, lacking the interest or creativity to actually make a compeling story.
That was the only situation that actually made me hate someone i was RPing with.
That's why if i can't do an OC its already a no no.

Besides that, what i most hate is anti-fun rules all over the place. I was reprehended once for making a sexual meta-joke and that absolutely killed my wish to RP because i thought it was so innofensive and funny. I hate being reprehended for having fun. I think thats all.
Although i do heavily favor RPs who use anime images instead of photos.

I gotta say, really passive GMs drive me completely mad sometimes.

We've all had the experience, you join a certain RP with a theme; let's say Medieval. Everything is going along nicely, there's interest and folk are making very good characters.

But suddenly, a new-comer joins in and asks a rather... niché question to the GM; "Can I be a alien from another planet?" The group shudders in unison at the concept of a Sci-Fi Alien, toting plasma guns and running around a medieval village as if nothing was wrong..

Surely the GM will say no? That would be the appropiate thing to do. But no, the GM crumbles and gives in after the Alien-fanatic has PM them a handful of times; using all sorts of excuses to wedge their fetish into a place where it does not belong.

*Sigh*

And now a very good roleplay is abandoned because the most important and authoritative person in the room has misplaced their spine and all logic and common-sense has gone out the window. Everyone is now (rightfully) pissed at the fetish person and the GM. Pat yourselves on the back, you two.

From my experience, a GM should know when to say no. Of course it risks up-setting the new person with some strange ideas but on the other-hand, there is the risk of deviating from what the other members of the group signed up for. It's something for everyone to take into consideration at the end of the day.

"School"
"God"
"Rowmaence uwu"
"...and in the player character party I, the GMs, character shall be..."
"Heres three paragraphs about the socioeconomics of porkchop production in this universe"
"I need ### number of words in at least ### paragraphs per post"
"Anime"

1. You must reply after my reply
Like, what? What if I have work suddenly?

2. No short replies- Only I can do those
What the F*ck?

THIS

"I only play 18 y/o females who have red hair blue eyes and are extremely attractive and my partner must be a 6'0 man with no more than 6.5555% body fat and he must have hair that is no longer than 4 inches from the top of his head and trust me I will know if he's lying because I just know please someone date me I'm so desperate I'll use an RP site to fulfill my fantasies please I'm so lonely someone love me for who I am am I not detailed please"
THIS

Thought I'd actually add to this thread since reading through it was a good way to get some insight into what not to do when writing a post. I try my best to come off as polite and respectful, but for most of my posts that seek partners I've put on here, I have seemingly strict requirements. But that's only because I want to find someone that's a quality partner and it helps ensure a long-term RP. (I actually tweaked my current post a bunch after reading this topic to hopefully appeal to more people and not come off as a strict, no-fun-allowed jerk.)

I've seen people bring up age requirements on RPs, and while I do have an age requirement on my current post, I think it's justified. Not all my RPs have age restrictions, but I'm turning 24 in may and I'd like to RP with someone at least closer to my age. Call me biased, but we all have our preferences.

I've also seen people bring up gender requirements for their partners or the characters they play. Now, I used to have a requirement like this on my old posts, I no longer care anymore about the gender of my partner or the characters they play. I value quality writing and character design over everything else. And limiting people only serves to limit the possible creativity that could come out of an RP. You can be any gender and play any gender as long as it's comfortable for you. So I agree with this point.

Something that kills an RP for me is when the partner isn't interested in OOC chatter. I'm way too talkative to not talk to someone OOC. While I fully understand why you wouldn't want to do OOC chatter since some people aren't on here for friends. I'm always open to making new friends and love talking to my partners OOC about whatever comes to mind. It helps me understand them further and make writing easier in that regard.

One thing that truly kills the RP for me as well is the amount of effort that is put into what people are saying. For example, if someone approaches me or has a post seeking people to RP with and they often respond with single sentences, it tends to make me lose interest. As I will find it hard to carry on conversation without the other person contributing much. I like talking about things in great detail and so should my potential partners. But again, this is a preference of mine and I'm not speaking for anyone else. We're all different and again- I fully respect other people's preferences.

I wouldn't take anything on this thread personally. We aren't saying the people who do XYZ thing are bad. We are only saying that we personally won't join a thread that has XYZ on it. But for every person who dislikes X (ex. Age Limits) there are multitudes of people who think it's vital to add to a roleplay search. So I wouldn't worry if you have done something that is called out in this thread. You might not get a bite from the individual who said it but that hardly means no one will answer your search thread at all.

Like the only thing that is going to get your interest check tagged is
A. if you have it in the wrong section (and the Staff will just move it)​
B. If you try to get people to do sexual roleplays (against site rules)​
C. If you harass people to join your roleplay (a dick move)​

If you don't do any of those three things than I wouldn't worry too much about individual preferences.

Super short search threads bother me. Like someone just saying "I'm looking to RP! Any takers??"
...Please... give me more information. What are your likes and dislikes? I can't tell just from one paltry sentence stating that you want to RP. Of course you want to RP. Everyone does. Why else would we be on this site? Tell me about your typical post length, what you can't stand in an RP, and some of the things you love. Without any of that information, I nope it on outta there, because I feel like those people are probably the type to write one sentence-long replies and not contribute anything to the RP.

Super short search threads bother me. Like someone just saying "I'm looking to RP! Any takers??"
...Please... give me more information. What are your likes and dislikes? I can't tell just from one paltry sentence stating that you want to RP. Of course you want to RP. Everyone does. Why else would we be on this site? Tell me about your typical post length, what you can't stand in an RP, and some of the things you love. Without any of that information, I nope it on outta there, because I feel like those people are probably the type to write one sentence-long replies and not contribute anything to the RP.

Especially if they have a lot of typos. The only time I make an exception if they mention something I am craving. ex. "I am looking for a Tamora Pierce rp." I will definately reply but usually put my non-negotiable right in my first post.

Ex. "Hi, I love Tamora Pierce and would be excited to do a roleplay with you. However just to let you know I can't reply every day, I only do platonic ships, and I like won't do real world mental illnesses."

And if they're okay with those things than I can usually keep the enthusiasm going based on the premise alone. If they aren't okay with my non negotiables well at least I tried.

Especially if they have a lot of typos. The only time I make an exception if they mention something I am craving. ex. "I am looking for a Tamora Pierce rp." I will definately reply but usually put my non-negotiable right in my first post.

Ex. "Hi, I love Tamora Pierce and would be excited to do a roleplay with you. However just to let you know I can't reply every day, I only do platonic ships, and I like won't do real world mental illnesses."

And if they're okay with those things than I can usually keep the enthusiasm going based on the premise alone. If they aren't okay with my non negotiables well at least I tried.
I tend to avoid even those. If they have a specific type of RP they wanna do, then at least give me a bit more information, please... I'd really appreciate it if they listed a few likes and dislikes and preferences in their post. I'm not asking for it to be a bunch of paragraphs - in fact, I'm okay with it if it's even a few small sentences - but as long as those sentences give a clear idea of what they want to do and what they love or hate, then I'm happy. If not, then I'll just leave the thread.
But of course that's a personal thing. Some things that bother me might not bother other people sooo eh

I tend to avoid even those. If they have a specific type of RP they wanna do, then at least give me a bit more information, please... I'd really appreciate it if they listed a few likes and dislikes and preferences in their post. I'm not asking for it to be a bunch of paragraphs - in fact, I'm okay with it if it's even a few small sentences - but as long as those sentences give a clear idea of what they want to do and what they love or hate, then I'm happy. If not, then I'll just leave the thread.
But of course that's a personal thing. Some things that bother me might not bother other people sooo eh

Oh certainly I understand. I wasn't disagreeing just expanding on what you said really. I am just in a very small minority when it comes to 1x1 roleplayers so I can't afford to pass up a potential partner based purely on a kind of skimpy search. And like I said 99% of the time the person declines to roleplay with me anyway because of my non-negotiables. Either because I only do platonic OR because I like to do a bit of pre-planning before I start a roleplay.

I gotta say, really passive GMs drive me completely mad sometimes.

We've all had the experience, you join a certain RP with a theme; let's say Medieval. Everything is going along nicely, there's interest and folk are making very good characters.

But suddenly, a new-comer joins in and asks a rather... niché question to the GM; "Can I be a alien from another planet?" The group shudders in unison at the concept of a Sci-Fi Alien, toting plasma guns and running around a medieval village as if nothing was wrong..

Surely the GM will say no? That would be the appropiate thing to do. But no, the GM crumbles and gives in after the Alien-fanatic has PM them a handful of times; using all sorts of excuses to wedge their fetish into a place where it does not belong.

*Sigh*

And now a very good roleplay is abandoned because the most important and authoritative person in the room has misplaced their spine and all logic and common-sense has gone out the window. Everyone is now (rightfully) pissed at the fetish person and the GM. Pat yourselves on the back, you two.
I've seen this very situation play out all too often. GMs not protecting their setting, premise, or tone, from rogue player-characters; and their roleplays usually rot to death because of it. I've considered making a thread here to emphasize the importance of assertive GMs for ambitious roleplays.

-pairing lists

-"muse A" and "muse B" scenarios

-"post the password!"

-fandom

I like to consider myself agreeable and willing to has anything out in discussion, but there are a few select things that just...bother me.

God tier mary sue with absolutely no drawback or flaw whatsoever: If the character being offered up is the equivalent to the son of god 'but better' that's a red flag, personally. I've tried to talk to people with characters like this, and they just seem to get really...irked when I question it.

Very vague threads: If the rp thread has only 'I'd like to rp, interested?' or the equivalent there of, it's not really going to grab my attention. I don't know what I'm walking into, what your interests are, what your okay with and not okay with, etc etc.

Real people situations: An example of this would be "Please play Ryan Reynolds" or something similar. If that's something you want to do, sure fine, but I just...I can't get into the head space to act out a real person. I've done 'realistic' settings sure, I tried supernatural once, that was kinda interesting, but I used a entirely self created character. I just can't emulate a real person, feels wrong to me.

"Romance is a MUST": See, I'm pretty fine with romance, I understand it can make something interesting, but if it HAS to be included, then one of us isn't making the story interesting enough. Romance should be a spice to the story, not the main course. It's there as an 'if it happens naturally, it'll be interesting', not 'it MUST be there, or else it's just boring.'. To me, that's like saying 'We're going to have a whole meal of just paprika"...which says a lot, cause I love paprika.

That's about it, only four real bullets that I can think of. I don't know if a lot of people relate to this, but it's just how I see it all.

Also people who have a fandom search and the whole thing is just a long list of

Canon Character x My OC

I nope out immediately. Firstly because I don't write romance. And Secondly because the person is inevitably way over-estimating their abilities to write an original character. Like especially if the character they are trying to pair their OC with already has a long term relationship in the canon. Like I get that not everyone likes the romances in the source material (I hate most of them myself) but that doesn't change the fact that it's really difficult for me to believe that you can write an original character that is well-rounded and integral enough to the plot that Canon Character will leave their spouse or long term partner for your character.

Also people who have a fandom search and the whole thing is just a long list of

Canon Character x My OC
Lol I came here just to post this
I’m okay with people having opinions and wanting to do that kind of thing, but I’m sick and tired of romance, and it makes me sad when people don’t want to do any kind of platonic fandom RP. I’d love to RP something related to my favorite fandoms, but I can’t find anybody that wants a fun, adventurous and platonic plot.

Lol I came here just to post this
I’m okay with people having opinions and wanting to do that kind of thing, but I’m sick and tired of romance, and it makes me sad when people don’t want to do any kind of platonic fandom RP. I’d love to RP something related to my favorite fandoms, but I can’t find anybody that wants a fun, adventurous and platonic plot.

Well I can't promise I'm always going to have openings but that's pretty much exclusively what I do with fandoms so if you ever find yourself in need of a partner you're welcome to hit me up. I can't promise I will know the fandom you want but I don't mind expanding my horizons if I have the spare time to look it up.

(should note I am busy at the moment but if i get some openings I can see if you are looking for anything at the time)

Well I can't promise I'm always going to have openings but that's pretty much exclusively what I do with fandoms so if you ever find yourself in need of a partner you're welcome to hit me up. I can't promise I will know the fandom you want but I don't mind expanding my horizons if I have the spare time to look it up.

(should note I am busy at the moment but if i get some openings I can see if you are looking for anything at the time)
Oh, thanks, but the fandoms I'm into are pretty much only anime, which I don't know if you're interested in haha. But good luck to both of us!

Gifs or graphics so heavy my machine slows down. I'm on an old device, it's all I have. Not to mention the moving or flashing images give me the stress and I don't like to look at all that mess. I want to read your writing, not be bombarded by decorations.

That doesn't mean that I don't think there are amazing and lovely graphics around, but it's not for me.

A demand for FC's. Particularly a certain type of FC. Anime only, realistic only etc.
They can be cool and can be useful. I've based whole characters around an FC to great success. But what's wrong with good old description? That's how we did it in the old days!
For me personally, I enjoy drawing my characters, so it's kind of a big no for me when someone says to only use realistic FCs or no FCs at all. However, I don't really care what my RP partner does with their FC - whether they want it to be realistic, anime, or not have one at all, I'm not bothered as long as they don't mind that I'll use a specific type of FC.
As for other people, I guess they just like FCs so much that it can be weird for them to try and picture your character without one? Idk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back