Viewpoint What makes you nope out of a search thread?

Throw them out of the window. You'll feel much happier when you forget about those. ^33^ If you're not writing one-liners it's already fine. Sometimes even one-liners are fine.

I mean I ask for one to two paragraphs, but that’s cuz I average three paragraphs. And if you reply to three paragraphs with less than one, then there was definately a failure to communicate at some level.

^ "paragraphs" are kindof subjective, tho. Like, some people are fine with a paragraph consisting of just three of four sentences (which is technically feasible). But other peeps, will have a paragraph of 6, 7, 8 + sentences... so there is a considerable difference of narrative if you are making three or four paragraphs of either comparative length. nerdy tangents nerdy tangents

Depending on who you ask, they might be thinking you are asking for 8 lines, or 20 lines for a response. imo, better to ask for a word count average than a paragraph average when concerning length.

Last edited:
^ "paragraphs" are kindof subjective, tho. Like, some people are fine with a paragraph consisting of just three of four sentences (which is technically feasible). But other peeps, will have a paragraph of 6, 7, 8 + sentences... so there is a considerable difference of narrative if you are making three or four paragraphs of either comparative length. nerdy tangents nerdy tangents

Depending on who you ask, they might be thinking you are asking for 8 lines, or 20 lines for a response. imo, better to ask for a word count average than a paragraph average when concerning length.

So what I do is writing samples. Since I’m not gonna waste my time counting up words or paragraphs in the roleplay itself I just give out a writing sample. If you feel like you can comfortable respond to that than we’re good.

In my experience detailed writers in general don’t bother with actual word count or paragraph counts in the roleplay itself. It’s usually people who have less detailed writing styles that get caught up in hitting an arbitrary word limit.

The kind of people that would mirror my post aren’t counting words or paragraphs. They’re just like “Oh she wants me to be detailed, easy peasy.”

So what I do is writing samples. Since I’m not gonna waste my time counting up words or paragraphs in the roleplay itself I just give out a writing sample. If you feel like you can comfortable respond to that than we’re good.

In my experience detailed writers in general don’t bother with actual word count or paragraph counts in the roleplay itself. It’s usually people who have less detailed writing styles that get caught up in hitting an arbitrary word limit.

The kind of people that would mirror my post aren’t counting words or paragraphs. They’re just like “Oh she wants me to be detailed, easy peasy.”

Same. I have a few on hand that I reference when appropriate.

When a GM does something counterproductive to their own rules.

GM: I don't want teenager to be a magic master!
Also GM: *make a thousand years old magic master character that definitely looks like teenager*

GM: Only game starters are available to choose.
Also GM: My starter is meowth!

GM: No OP character please.
Also GM: godslayer go schwing schwing!

This isn't necessarily a hard nope but if the set-up of a group RP is that the GM is playing the "main character" and/or they are planning on using the RP as the basis for a novel.

The GM coming over like a drill sergeant from the word go with a "my way or the highway" approach.

The GM appears not to know their source material.

Bad spelling/grammar/writing that would be painful if you had to RP with it. (Not simple typos/misspellings etc.)

How do you figure?

Because three paragraphs should contain plenty of information for you to write one paragraph response. So the only way you are going to not make that cut off is because

1. you don’t want to, and thus probably didn’t read my requirements in the first place

2. I didn’t convey some of the information correctly and you need clarification

Because three paragraphs should contain plenty of information for you to write one paragraph response. So the only way you are going to not make that cut off is because

1. you don’t want to, and thus probably didn’t read my requirements in the first place

2. I didn’t convey some of the information correctly and you need clarification
3. Less than one paragraph is sufficient to convey the writer's intended meaning.

3. Less than one paragraph is sufficient to convey the writer's intended meaning.

Which is just one worded differently? I mean if I you want to do one-liners that’s fine.

But if I am giving you three paragraphs AND requesting a minimum of one paragraph response. I don’t see how asking for more than a sentence or two in reply is a huge imposition.

In the same way I’m sure if you requested a one-liner you would be angry if someone gave you three paragraphs instead.

Which is just one worded differently? I mean if I you want to do one-liners that’s fine.
It isn't the same as 1.
But if I am giving you three paragraphs AND requesting a minimum of one paragraph response. I don’t see how asking for more than a sentence or two in reply is a huge imposition.

In the same way I’m sure if you requested a one-liner you would be angry if someone gave you three paragraphs instead.
No, I wouldn't be angry, because I don't request post lengths. They don't actually have any effect on post quality, nor on how easy it is to respond to a post; and I don't rely on other people to provide me with stuff to respond to in the first place.

It isn't the same as 1.

No, I wouldn't be angry, because I don't request post lengths. They don't actually have any effect on post quality, nor on how easy it is to respond to a post; and I don't rely on other people to provide me with stuff to respond to in the first place.

No offense that seems like you might be missing the point of collaboration.

If you aren’t responding to your partner than why have one in the first place?

My point is this, post requirements are about finding compatible partners.

The people I roleplay with can easily meet the one paragraph post requirement (heck most end up writing around three paragraphs themselves).

That’s because their writing style is compatible with more detail oriented writing (which is what I do myself).

People who like minimalistic writing are unlikely to write with me anyway. I have legitimately never had someone who only wrote one-liners request a roleplay with me.

Even when I didn’t specifically put a one paragraph minimum. They just aren’t interested in my ideas. I mostly put the requirement so folks don’t think I need mirroring to be honest.

No offense that seems like you might be missing the point of collaboration.

If you aren’t responding to your partner than why have one in the first place?

My point is this, post requirements are about finding compatible partners.

The people I roleplay with can easily meet the one paragraph post requirement (heck most end up writing around three paragraphs themselves).

That’s because their writing style is compatible with more detail oriented writing (which is what I do myself).

People who like minimalistic writing are unlikely to write with me anyway. I have legitimately never had someone who only wrote one-liners request a roleplay with me.

Even when I didn’t specifically put a one paragraph minimum. They just aren’t interested in my ideas. I mostly put the requirement so folks don’t think I need mirroring to be honest.
I respond to what other people post. I don't rely on them to provide me with stuff to respond to.

▪︎ usage of bbcode that is not at all mobile-friendly (especially where the user also does not make any effort to include a code-free version of their search... this just strikes me as incredibly non-inclusive and usually speaks to those people having some kind of bias against non-coders)

▪︎ (over)inflated egos

▪︎ people above high school age who still play high school-age characters for some reason... especially those who still play them in romantic plots and pairings...

▪︎ color-coded text and other odd formatting (used in excess)

▪︎ general lack of effort, not enough detail, dry language/non-engaging

▪︎ requiring writing samples from potential partners (requesting is fine, but requirement is just too much imo...)

▪︎ "I always mirror post length and will expect the same from you" no, gtfo

Last edited:
▪︎ "I always mirror post length and will expect the same from you" no, gtfo
This is my favorite because it's literally impossible; it leads to a logical contradiction.
1. There can be no first post. They always mirror post length. When there are zero posts, the post length is either zero or undefined. Therefore, every post must contain no characters.
2. Ignoring 1, every post will have an identical number of characters. No two human beings converse this way.

I respond to what other people post. I don't rely on them to provide me with stuff to respond to.
How can you respond if there's nothing to respond to?

Partner A types three paragraphs detailing the setting, atmosphere and stuff about their own character. Then adds something for the two characters to do or react to or dialogue.

Partner B answers the line of dialogue and maybe describes some of how the character feels.

Parter A is left doing the leg work as they set things up and get nothing to bounce off of in response.

Generally both posts should have an equal amount of detail and opportunity cor the other person to react ot respond to or do something imo. If one person writes a lot and gets returned with less than a paragraph then that's two very different styles and it would be hard to balance that properly. Neither is right or wrong but together it feels unbalanced and uneven.

How can you respond if there's nothing yo respond to?

Partner A types three paragraphs detailing the setting, atmosphere and stuff about their own character. Then adds something for the two characters to do or react to or dialogue.

Partner B answers the line of dialogue and mauhe describes some of how the character feels.

Parter A is left doing the leg work as they set things up and get nothing to bounce off of in response
Depends on the context, and my character's goals and motivations. If someone is behaving like a statue, I'll act accordingly. There's a whole world to create and explore, after all.

Please take the roleplay response discussion to a separate thread or dm. It is beginning to derail the original intent of this thread. Thank you!

Ah! Sorry! To try and help get back on topic; when there doesn't seem to be a plot in mind from the GM's end or they haven't explained it as I like to know what I'm getting into.

Weirdly face claims can be a thing for me. If it's not realistic or realistic drawn then I'm not interested.

And when everyone already seems to know each other as when you're a new player that's extremely intimidating.

Hm, I can't remember what I wrote last time in this thread (probably over a year ago), but I know it was all 1x1 stuff. And seeing people talk about group stuff reminded me of some things I hate in group search threads:

• Extremely long CS templates that must be followed: I can't always get through long CSes, they are a pain to write when I'm just not feeling it
• "Only RL/anime FCs": Probably something I said about before, but I like describing my characters when I can't find an image
• Required personality segment of a CS: Unless I'm writing with someone I've written with before, who knows how I write, I hate having to write out my character's personality, it shows just fine once I start writing them
• "No swearing": I swear a lot. I get people not liking swearing, but I swear all the ⚕⚕⚕⚕ing time. So I won't join one that doesn't want me to
• Unreadable threads: Self explanatory. If it's unreadable due to grammar or formatting, I can't even read it

On the flipside of this, I've had things that have made me nope out of my own group search threads. It's related to something a lot of people have said about. Because my thoughts don't want to organize themselves, I'm gonna bulletpoint it.

• I am someone who has many half-ideas
• I try to post full things where I can, but it's not always possible
• Sometimes I'll come up with a world and concept, but no actual plot
• These are generally things where it's best for everyone to contribute to coming up with plot anyway
• I will post these half-ideas, and explicitly say in the thread that it requires everyone chipping in to help
• People will say "I'm interested!" and "Sign me up!"...

•...and then not help with coming up with an actual plot

• These threads get full of these people
• So I nope the hell out of my own search threads because of it

Last edited:
To be honest, the only thing that makes me nope out of a search thread is the 18+ barrier, LOL.
I get ya adults with your shennanigans like 18+ people but I nope out of these threads due to age not matching.

Then, we have like: Have perfect grammar and spelling.

To be completely fair, if you're noping out of a search thread because it says only people who are 18+ can join and you aren't 18+, then it's doing it's job.

Not sure if I said this one or not. But back on Deviantart I noped out of a ton of RPs not because of the actual RP ad post. It was looking at the person's page, conversation history (if they weren't on privacy setting that prevented it) and even looking at the front page comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back