Viewpoint What makes you nope out of a search thread?

I don't write gender based on attraction, I write them on story necessity and inspiration. If I want to play a cool princess or a snarky edgelord, I'm going to create those characters and frame things around them as best I can. Shipping is secondary to me. A good romance can strengthen a story but a bad one can do the opposite. An amount of planning, writer interest, and organic chemistry is important for romance storylines to work, IMO.

Pretty much any RT that appears more like a dictatorship than an actual collaboration of ideas or interests between potential partners.

Lot's and lot's and lot's and lot's of bbcode. Especially with the gifs and scrolly boxes that get really frustrating on an iPad. Usually that indicates that they're other things I don't like, like "you must write x paragraphs" where x is more than 1 (or 2 depending on my mood) and discord only rp/discord ooc and no other.

A few red flags I find are:
-Asking your gender IRL. Comes off as a bit too personal. The sorta "I only rp with girls/guys" stuff
-people who roleplay real people. I met someone who wanted to do a Markiplier x OC rp and I was like "fuck this"
-people who demand too much like posting several times a day. I have work and can frequently be burnt out.
-people who require shipping or romance. I have to be in the right set of mind for it
There might be more that I'm forgetting
Sorry if all this makes me sound picky

-Asking your gender IRL. Comes off as a bit too personal. The sorta "I only rp with girls/guys" stuff
-people who roleplay real people. I met someone who wanted to do a Markiplier x OC rp and I was like "fuck this"
-people who demand too much like posting several times a day. I have work and can frequently be burnt out.
-people who require shipping or romance. I have to be in the right set of mind for it
you don't sound picky! i agree with the real people thing SO MUCH! i dislike it and shipping real people as it just seems invasive and kinda weird to me. you totally aren't alone there. only thing i disagree on really is the requiring shipping bit? just because it can be a genre thing if that makes anything, but i agree on the rest of what you said!

you don't sound picky! i agree with the real people thing SO MUCH! i dislike it and shipping real people as it just seems invasive and kinda weird to me. you totally aren't alone there. only thing i disagree on really is the requiring shipping bit? just because it can be a genre thing if that makes anything, but i agree on the rest of what you said!

Maybe it's because I haven't really done shipping in so so long. The most I've done is stuff on F-list but that site has more misses than hits with RP
Been meaning to try it out but I feel shipping is done better if it happens through RP without really planning it. A few of ships I've had with characters were ones that happened like this:
"These characters are really good together aren't they?"
"Yeah they are."
"They'd make a good couple honestly."
"...Yeah... Yeah they would..."

Maybe it's because I haven't really done shipping in so so long. The most I've done is stuff on F-list but that site has more misses than hits with RP
Been meaning to try it out but I feel shipping is done better if it happens through RP without really planning it. A few of ships I've had with characters were ones that happened like this:
"These characters are really good together aren't they?"
"Yeah they are."
"They'd make a good couple honestly."
"...Yeah... Yeah they would..."
That's fair! Slow burn stuff is great. Part of shipping beforehand for me at least comes from immediately thinking the characters would work well together, making the characters with each other in mind, OR challenging yourself to see WHY or HOW these two characters would be shipped! But that's just me.

Oh my god shipping real people is the worst!

Unless I'm doing it to my friends. In which case it's just funny because I'm never serious when I do that.

The posting several times a day is enough to put a halt to everything in my book. I always hated that especially if I am doing multiple paragraph posts so having to do that back to back.....no.

This may have been posted earlier in the thread, but K-Pop, Youtuber, or any other """""fandoms""""" that list real life actual people. Sorry if this take is too much for some, but that's really fucking creepy to like... Ship real life people. It just makes it awkward for them as a whole, and not to mention the K-Pop industry is built on systemic oppression of its own talent, child abuse, and basically making actual human beings into marketable dolls, just like many other pageantry and idol based industries. Just because they make music doesn't make them free to choose to do anything else, so please just like don't treat them like your action figures and rp as them.

Also, Can't really get my head wrapped around the appeal of "Human X Vampire" style of listings. Like entire posts will be "I'm looking for these pairings," and it may not even be romantic, but the only description they give, or the main premise of it, is that its' supernatural xyz and other supernatural xyz interacting. Where does it go from there??? I get that it would be hashed out with the partner but, it seems so weaksauce as an interest grabber. Same goes for more mudane x and y pairings.... But don't get me started on "addict x clean" or "slave x master" and all those other hyper fucking weird and not ok pairings! Like, people, unless you went through that kinda shit (and even so I would suggest not exploring/dwelling on traumatic things so deeply or in rp where it can be made public) its just horribly insensitive to act like you know how bad slavery or addiction or abuse is.

Last edited:
I will never NOT comment on how much I agree with this.
It just seems so incredibly wrong to me? Like... these are actual, existing, people with a life and mind of their own. How people can think they're entitled to put thoughts in their heads is beyond me. Even worse when the whole purpose is to make a self-insert character to romance them, just seems like such a violation of privacy and personhood to me.

Here's one I forgot
This is very much a matter of preference because I know others like this sorts thing.
But when a thread says characters can die and it's not a D&D game, if really makes me not want to play. I really love my OCs and I don't want them to die without planning such an event ahead of time. Character death can be impactful but only if it's planned and has an effect on the story, shouldn't be a punishment for a mistake or bad luck
Again, matter of preference

Here's one I forgot
This is very much a matter of preference because I know others like this sorts thing.
But when a thread says characters can die and it's not a D&D game, if really makes me not want to play. I really love my OCs and I don't want them to die without planning such an event ahead of time. Character death can be impactful but only if it's planned and has an effect on the story, shouldn't be a punishment for a mistake or bad luck
Again, matter of preference

How do you mean a character can die? Like it's a militaristic roleplay where people might be killed? The only roleplays I've ever been in where characters died it was planned out (usually in murder mystery roleplays) and for that matter you could still play the character in a separate "ghost" thread. So maybe the next time you see this ask about specifics of how the character death is handled in that particular case?

How do you mean a character can die? Like it's a militaristic roleplay where people might be killed? The only roleplays I've ever been in where characters died it was planned out (usually in murder mystery roleplays) and for that matter you could still play the character in a separate "ghost" thread. So maybe the next time you see this ask about specifics of how the character death is handled in that particular case?

I think what they mean is when death is not listed in the description. I had a friend who was in an RP that was strict on how often people posted. She had finals and told the GM she would be offline....But they killed her character off while she was away to further the story without her.

I think what they mean is when death is not listed in the description. I had a friend who was in an RP that was strict on how often people posted. She had finals and told the GM she would be offline....But they killed her character off while she was away to further the story without her.

That's weird usually when people have strict posting guidelines they don't actually kill off characters. They'll have a policy in place to just write out the characters as necessary OR turn the characters into NPCs if they are plot relevant.

Last edited:
That's weird usually when people have strict posting guidelines they don't actually kill off characters. They'll have a policy in place to just write out the characters as necessary OR turn the characters into NPCs if they are plot relevant.

That is how it SHOULD work. lol That was not the case in this RP. But that was back in like 2008?

Yeah you guys basically got it
When characters can be killed off without prior planning. I don't like RPs were they can be killed because "Oh your character did something that they couldn't have known in advance and it got them killed."
Kinda hard to put into words what I mean

I've actually got (an extremely slow) role-play going where I told others if they left they role-play, I'd probably end up killing their characters off at some point or making them less important to the rp if they don't themselves. Thing is, most of their characters are in high-risk, important roles to the setting and story, and some character death is going to happen at some point which will be discussed among each other.
So, I kind of understand that mindset of "they're gonna die". But, I don't agree with killing other people's characters off without at least discussing it first. That's pretty controlling for a GM outside of games like D&D. Hell, even with those who left the rp I've asked what they would rather me do about their characters, and if they don't respond I just wing it.

I've actually got (an extremely slow) role-play going where I told others if they left they role-play, I'd probably end up killing their characters off at some point or making them less important to the rp if they don't themselves. Thing is, most of their characters are in high-risk, important roles to the setting and story, and some character death is going to happen at some point which will be discussed among each other.
So, I kind of understand that mindset of "they're gonna die". But, I don't agree with killing other people's characters off without at least discussing it first. That's pretty controlling for a GM outside of games like D&D. Hell, even with those who left the rp I've asked what they would rather me do about their characters, and if they don't respond I just wing it.

Exactly if a character is going to die that should be made abundantly clear prior to the start of the roleplay. And in the case described (where the person informed the GM they were going on a temporary hiatus) that person should be asked what they prefer. Their character could be injured in battle or whatever when the person is out so they would face realistic consequences and have an excuse for not being in the action.

Don’t kill a persons character without warning when you know their coming back. That’s just a dick move.

Honestly, just what they said. I generally find the over all tone to be the biggest boon or bane. To stricked but with out any real guidance tells me you want a certain story, but don't know how to write it, much less play it. To loose, but with a lot of guidance makes me fear sandbox with a dead god. They know what they want, and they crafted a world for it. But unless they're willing to put the work into it as GM needs to, I'm out.

Anything that contains the following:

"You must reply [number] times a day."

I'm sorry, but between education and my social life, having to respond an outlandish number of times a day is seriously not happening. I get it, you have to be committed to an RP - but seriously, I will not pick to send an RP reply over studying for a test etc.

I once saw someone who told me what actors they wanted as the faceclaims for their partners characters. It made me nope on out of there, though I did check back out of curiosity to see if anyone would be interested (no one was).

THIS. I’m not gonna be your fantasy/wish fulfillment.

Also:

•“Must double” - No thanks, pal.

•”You play canon, I play my OC” - Dude, just write a fanfic.

•”Dark/mature themes” - You can romanticize addiction and mental illness to your heart’s content, but I’m not for it. I’m not down for anxiety attacks because of your depiction of youth substance use.

Or, you know, my preference is lighthearted. Take your pick as to my reasoning.

•Super bouncy energetic people - I wish I was this way because I think I’d be more likeable and people wouldn’t think I’m angry all the time, but I’m not. So I clash with the more fun people on this site.

•”Long-term” - Personally, I’m ditch friendly. You and I both know we’re gonna get plotting, MAYBE get a few posts in, and then never speak again. And I need to know that if I’m not feeling you, I can bounce.

•”Lots of OOC talk” - No thanks, chief. Most of the time, I don’t need “friends”, not through RPs. Because the “friendship” lasts as long as the RP does. And I don’t really think that you need to like someone to write with them.

•when they write like this - i get that its a stylistic choice most of the time and when they’re actually rping they have proper capitalization and punctuation and all, but im not down.

•Fetishes - If they mention that “omegaverse” thing, pregnancy, stuff like that, I’m outtie.

So, I'm curious, as someone who has mental illness and has experienced drug addiction first hand, is it okay for me to write about these things?
To me, writing about them isn't romanticizing and I'll cut off anyone WHO does because these are not things to be romanticized.
I only ask because I want to understand where you're coming from :>
Your opinion is completely valid to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back