Viewpoint What makes you nope out of a search thread?

Thank you kindly,

From a humble toaster. <3
awesome20toaster.gif

Another thing that has started "noping" me out of a thread is the lack of a writing sample. I try to make it a habit to send a writing sample along with my request to do a RP with another RP-er. It helps us both know if we are compatible because writing styles can and will clash if you're not careful. Telling me what you like/don't like isn't enough most of the times, and claiming you can write a certain amount or match your partner or partners' word count is sometimes a bold lie.

Samples are the best metric of judging if you are compatible with someone else.

I do find it a little frustrating at times with samples, as i've always told people to write their samples as per the norm. It gets annoying when someone's put alot of effort into their sample but their actual main thread posts are completely different... kinda making the whole 'sample'.. a whole lot of wasted time. :(

I do find it a little frustrating at times with samples, as i've always told people to write their samples as per the norm. It gets annoying when someone's put alot of effort into their sample but their actual main thread posts are completely different... kinda making the whole 'sample'.. a whole lot of wasted time. :(
I mean, some people's posts range from the amount of inspiration they have to the amount of things they have to reply back to. I'm not writing a novel chapter off of one paragraph from a partner, for example.

I mean, some people's posts range from the amount of inspiration they have to the amount of things they have to reply back to. I'm not writing a novel chapter off of one paragraph from a partner, for example.

Aye, I get what you mean. I'm not asking for 100% consistency every single post but I find it a bit off-putting when someone's clearly taken days if not weeks to create their sample but in the main thread (where the posts are much more significant), it's almost the complete opposite of what i've asked for, or in clear contrast to their sample. What i'm looking for in a sample is their 'average', not their absolute best. :P

Aye, I get what you mean. I'm not asking for 100% consistency every single post but I find it a bit off-putting when someone's clearly taken days if not weeks to create their sample but in the main thread (where the posts are much more significant), it's almost the complete opposite of what i've asked for, or in clear contrast to their sample. What i'm looking for in a sample is their 'average', not their absolute best. :P
Well sometimes you've gotta read someone's post history if you want to "vet" them, my guy.

- You must be male/female otherwise I won't RP with you because it makes me uncomfortable.
Wtf, does the sex of your writing partner really matter? I can easily say I'm a male, female, or a plant, or a toaster... and still write the same. That and we can't see each other so such a requirement is kind of... silly, especially since RPN allows us to hide our preferred sex.
If my gender wasn't pretty much completely and openly advertised (despite the fact that my gender isn't set) I would simply rply to anybody asking that question with fuck you. Of course, I don't 1x1 so that ain't my problem.

As for writing samples, god that's tedious. Why not just send them a link to an rp I've been in instead. All the writing samples you goddamn need.

Again, not really my problem but just something to consider.

As for writing samples, god that's tedious. Why not just send them a link to an rp I've been in instead. All the writing samples you goddamn need.
I'm pretty sure this is in the context of 1x1's. A lot of people prefer to RP in PM's, so you can't always find/don't always have a thread to link to.

It's really not that hard to copy-paste a post from a recent RP either. Takes maybe half a minute longer than linking to a thread.

Sometimes group RPs ask for writing samples to see your voice with your character beyond the sheet, it's rare, but it is a thing.

I'm pretty sure this is in the context of 1x1's. A lot of people prefer to RP in PM's, so you can't always find/don't always have a thread to link to.

It's really not that hard to copy-paste a post from a recent RP either. Takes maybe half a minute longer than linking to a thread.
I was aware of that. I thought it was implied when I said it wasn't my problem.

Yeah and in my experience asking to see a previous roleplay is actually more useful. If someone asks for a writing sample that’s exactly what I do. I link them a previous roleplay. And in the cases where I asked for a sample it was always a roleplay not a single post.

I was aware of that. I thought it was implied when I said it wasn't my problem.
No, not really lol. That seemed in reference to the first part about gender.

But regardless--even if it isn't your problem, my point was just that if the issue is wanting writing samples in a 1x1 context, many people never do public RP's so linking to one isn't even possible. I fully agree it's the more practical option when available, was just answering the "why not" portion of what you said.

If my gender wasn't pretty much completely and openly advertised (despite the fact that my gender isn't set) I would simply rply to anybody asking that question with fuck you. Of course, I don't 1x1 so that ain't my problem.

Again, not really my problem but just something to consider.
Whether gender is advertised on your account or not, I still find such a request rather... strange and irrelevant. My sex should not change a RP or effect my relationship with a fellow RP-er.

I didn't say writing samples to limit it to copying and pasting previous posts (as in a single post you did long ago) in a spoiler tag. I meant any writing sample, whether it be a link to a previous/existing RP you are a part of or a copy-n-pasta in a spoiler tag. Additionally, both groups and 1x1s would benefit from a writing sample of some sort regardless of how many partners are involved because otherwise... let's say I can't post above 100+ words. A writing sample should be effective in showing that. If you didn't ask for one and had no idea of my writing, I could kill off your RP's chances of survival if I post a one-liner (unless we've got a good RP GM on our hands who gives me the boot). Of course, that also boils down to what your RP consists of (maybe the word count/post length doesn't matter, y'never know).

Forced romance. I'm not big on romance, and if it must happen, I prefer it to be fluid and natural opposed to "love at first sight".

Excessive posting. Typically, I average at least an IC post a week unless I'm inspired. People who hit me back with posts right after I post or demand that, say, I post multiple times per day exhaust me.

Canon characters. I'm a big fan of certain fandoms, but I have zero interest in actually roleplaying the characters from it. I prefer to write my own character and develop their characterization on my own terms rather than using an already established character as a template. This also applies to how I absolutely despise the thought of CanonXOC and CanonXCanon pairings. If that's what you like, then that's what you like, but please don't ask for me to roleplay a canon character. It's not my jam or my jelly.

Male-only/Female-only. Whether or not you're a man or a woman does not concern me. There are men that can write females well, and vice versa.

Being inflexible. People that only want one specific thing and are basically asking you to help write their fan fiction.

Only doing mxm or fxf. This one's just personal preference though. Not my bag. No problem with people that do. Although I do think two dudes doing FxF is strange.

And lastly, adding some random "tell me your favorite x in your pm so I know you read the rules". Something about it annoys me. It's not a deal breaker but I automatically think you're stuck up if you do it.

Being inflexible. People that only want one specific thing and are basically asking you to help write their fan fiction.

Only doing mxm or fxf. This one's just personal preference though. Not my bag. No problem with people that do. Although I do think two dudes doing FxF is strange.

And lastly, adding some random "tell me your favorite x in your pm so I know you read the rules". Something about it annoys me. It's not a deal breaker but I automatically think you're stuck up if you do it.

I think the FxF thing is the same as to straight women doing MxM. So basically people wanting to write different genders but keeping the characters to their same IRL attraction. So straight women write about men attracted to other men and straight men would write about women attracted to other women. For some people it even makes writing romance easier as there is enough of a difference between you and the character that you don't feel like your partner will get the wrong idea while at the same time there are enough similarities that you can put yourself into the story.

At least that's what the women I've talked to who read/write malexmale romance have said. I haven't spoken to many men who do the same but I would assume it would be something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back