Viewpoint What makes you nope out of a search thread?

Contributing to the topic,

When a small-team rp does not have a goal. I often see these threads about a group of people being x in a world y, and that's it. Usually rps like that don't really last long unless you happen to come across really proactive players.

Sure, some rps don't have a goal by design. Here is this cool world and you can be a part of it - sort of thing. In that case it is a shame if the search thread itself is all the lore we get. Not enough to nope out but still a bit of a disappointment.

Last edited:
When the search thread seems more concerned with its aesthetics than its content. Actually, any complex template kind of turns me off. A little BBCode is fine, but when your setup posts are all in fancy templates full of tiny font, that tells me that you're willing to sacrifice the writing for the ~shiny coding~ and that's not the kind of RP I want to be in.

What they put in their title: Multiple Settings

What they put in their thread: 37 realistic plots/pairings and some avengers ships

For me there’s 3 things. One is if I can automatically tell someone has a bad attitude I back out. Second off if their rules are super strict and there’s a lot of them that severely limits me. Third off is very bad grammar and/or chat speak. If English isn’t someone’s first language that’s a different story, and I don’t mind small mistakes as I make them too, but people who are intentionally lazy don’t catch my interest

The actual lack of important information usually mentioned to draw in potential partners.
I find it hard to get on board if the request thread is just a paragraph of the person saying they're into anything and just looking for a roleplay. There's nothing wrong with that though some may like it but I need to know more in case our interests differ. Better to know now than to start a roleplay and find it out later.

1. Romance is a must, if there is no romance I get bored.
If you can't think of a way to make your character/the story interesting without trying to get into another characters pants than it's a hard no.

2. I need specific gendered partners cuz romance.
Says to me you think we're dating if I write a story with you. No thanks.

3. Tiny or too light writing.
I'm an old woman and it hurts my eyes to try to read it. So no.

4. Please be able to reply multiple times a day.
Nope. I got work.

5. I'm only here to roleplay. I don't want to talk to my partner just roleplay.
Oh heck no. I'm way too chatty I'll get way too bored if I am just robotically plopping down posts with no other interaction.

The fifth one is especially a no from me too! I once had an rp partner who didn't know I had to go offline for a few days and this is what happened.

Me: hey sorry I been sick! ;-; how're you?
Them: continue
Me: continue?
Them: continue the rp

It was a mess and I had my OC die in that universe so I could leave and block the person bc I didn't know at the time I could just say "yeah this ain't it chief, bye". 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Perhaps the biggest deal breaker for me in realistic roleplays are the pointed disclusion of certain characters with certain sexualities for the sake of "realism". Also, if the person writing it just assumed my characters sexuality.

Perhaps the biggest deal breaker for me in realistic roleplays are the pointed disclusion of certain characters with certain sexualities for the sake of "realism". Also, if the person writing it just assumed my characters sexuality.

This is about the search thread, though, not the roleplay per se!

peritwinkle peritwinkle
Oh, I do mean in searches; plenty of times I'll see individuals state very clearly in their searches what I said above in regards to discluding certain characters.

Are you talkin' 1x1s or groups?

Groups, mostly. I don't really care about 1x1s as much, most of the time. I'm also talking about both searches on and off-site.

Ah so do you mean when they list a specific gender pairing OR a sexuality specifically?

A specific sexuality.
I would also like to state I know roleplay owners reserve the right to control their RPs as they wish, but it's still off-putting and says a lot about the person hosting the game, which puts me off heavily regardless of what the setup is. If you feel that certain way about a certain sexuality, you're likely to feel similar sentiments to myself, and I like to actually be friendly with the person I'm roleplaying with. If you consider anything non heterosexual as "unrealistic" [ since, the certain sexuality I've seen enforced for 'realism' on and off-site is always heterosexuality' ] I'm likely to avoid you and your roleplay group like the plague, regardless on how cool the roleplay is or how much I like the plot.

Wait so group searches that ask for a specific sexuality? That's so strange, I can't imagine why it would matter in a group. Unless your talking some kind of pairing based plot? Like it's a dating show or arranged marriage type thing. Then yeah you can't have all the characters be a specific sexuality because then you might not have enough pairs to go around. Like if everyone plays a heterosexual female and your only male is homosexual than no one is going to have a romantic pairing for the roleplay.

But I don't think you would necessarily have to exclude a sexuality so much as have specific roles listed. Like we're going to have X number of homosexual pairings, X number of heterosexual pairings, X number of bisexual pairings, etc.

In no particular order...

1. Pushy tone. As Strongbad said, "YOU PEOPLE AND YOUR DEMAAAAHNDS." I admire someone who clearly articulates what they want and isn't afraid to go after it, but if I get even a whiff of pushiness or entitlement from the ad, I'm going to nope out. You can get what you want and respect others trying to do the same, too.

2. Bigotry, either implied or overt. Nope, no. Don't want to talk to you. Certainly don't want to write with you. Character and pairing preferences for specific stories/themes are fine; superiority complexes are not.

3. Lack of Specifics re: your preferred RP style, logistics, what you'd like in a writing partner, etc. Any time I click on a call for RP, I want us to be a match. Don't make me guess!

4. Shallowness of samples, prompts, character pitches and requests, etc. Intentional vagueness to allow for lots of brainstorming is fine! "I'm not super settled on a plot, but I'd love to do something with basilisks and space travel!" is fine, too. But shallow yet highly specific prompts are a bigger turn off to me than simply saying, "I don't really have a plot in mind and am open to anything!"

Last edited:
Other than strictly fandom threads, the following is a hot yikes:

1. Rude vibes. I suppose this is a bit vague, but some threads give me this gut feeling that the OP will be very hard to write with. It normally shows in their responses to the thread, when others link reasonably good ideas to build a plot on that fits OP's requests, and the OP goes "I don't like it!" without giving it a chance or proposing to discuss it in PMs to see what they would like. They're dead set on something specific and shoot down potential partners right off the bat.

2. Threads with very specific, very cliche plots set in a fantasy dystopian world where sexual/physical abuse is heavily implied. I can see from a mile away that is a fantasy the OP wants to self insert themselves into. You know it when you see it. Nothing makes me nope out faster.

3. Tiny tiny font size. I'm sorry, I'm not scooting over closer to my screen to squint at size 2 text.

The only thing that makes me 'nope' out of a search thread is when it is clearly obvious there is no flexibility in the gender/role of character I can play. Strictly M/F, F/F, or M/M, no switching it up, its always set in stone. Or if they only want to play one gender and it is obvious they 100% expect you to play the one they aren't, even in side pairings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back