Idea What makes a RP stand out?

blueskies

rickety, but trying
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
For you, what is the chemistry behind a good role play that makes you think… dang I would pay to read that or dang I wish I’d thought of that.

I’ve been following Lost Dogs 1x1 thread since they started and I feel like I’m literally transported to the scene of whatever is happening. I’ve never been so engrossed in other writers’ games before but I‘m following their story to the end. 😭 That is my most visited thread on here. 😂

Their vibe is crazy.

And first off they’re RPing a genre I absolutely suck in…crime. Second, they know how to set a scene, give voice and life to their characters, add description and they also did their research on what they’re writing about. All this is time consuming and taxing. And I see them giving it their all in this RP and I feel like a fangirl now. lmao

Honestly, an rp that isn't just a regurgitation of current popular shows/movies is always refreshing to see. Anime fandoms and RPs that are following trends of shows off of Netflix or superhero stuff are SO ignorable, it's not even funny. But when people bring around RP ideas that are actually fresh, is definitely notable.

When a GM actually fleshes out their setting and has all their lore ready to read when they post their interest check. That's definitely a stand out. Dunno how many group RP requests I've looked into when they are new, and they don't even have all the links they provided going anywhere. It's like, bruh... finish cooking the meal before you serve it, yeah?

Well-written responses that actually add to the story and don't just meander on pointless details that are just self-indulgent rhetoric that no one else cares about. that's always refreshing. Making posts for other characters to work off of.

Writing in a way that assumes a reader has just picked up the story from the first post and has no prior knowledge of the content, and the RP reads well and makes sense... THAT is definitely notable.

Last edited:
Honestly, an rp that isn't just a regurgitation of current popular shows/movies is always refreshing to see. Anime fandoms and RPs that are following trends of shows off of Netflix or superhero stuff are SO ignorable, it's not even funny. But when people bring around RP ideas that are actually fresh, is definitely notable.
I cannot emphasize this enough.

I’ve been following Lost Dogs 1x1 thread since they started and I feel like I’m literally transported to the scene of whatever is happening. I’ve never been so engrossed in other writers’ games before but I‘m following their story to the end. 😭 That is my most visited thread on here. 😂

Their vibe is crazy.

And first off they’re RPing a genre I absolutely suck in…crime. Second, they know how to set a scene, give voice and life to their characters, add description and they also did their research on what they’re writing about. All this is time consuming and taxing. And I see them giving it their all in this RP and I feel like a fangirl now. lmao
Oh god, first sentence in...I might become a fan as well. Damn... these people.

When you can totally tell that the players had FUN writing their responses. That they’re both (or all in a group setting) loving that roleplay and writing for it.

When it’s clear that writing isn’t a chore or some special little way for someone to try and show off “look how much I can write” to 1 up their partner.

Just a good simple roleplay with passion put into it where all parties involved are loving it. That’s what stands out to me.

It doesn’t need to be fancy or have novel-like responses with the biggest vocabulary words known to man in it- just simple fun where you can tell everyone’s super invested and just loving the story.

Conversely, what stands out to me sometimes is one liners with abysmal grammar. But that’s in the negative sense. But again, hey, if everyone’s having fun, even those RPs make me smile since you can tell it’s a casual thing for them and it’s some super relaxed stress releasing fun.

All in all, I think it’s ironically the more casual RPs that stand out to me where it’s clear writing for them isn’t a job or chore to the player. They genuinely enjoy typing out responses, however long or short they might be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back