Advice/Help What Makes a Good Interest Check?

Catastrophe Leo

⚛ Leo ⚛ 22 ⚛ She/Her ⚛ French Girl ⚛
Hello! I'm new to this site and new to making roleplay ads. Since I've only ever roleplayed on Discord, I haven't had to make roleplay ads/interest checks, so the concept is new to me. So, I was wondering if I could get some advice for when I make my first one!

Hello!

You should browse through existing interest checks to see what people usually put in. But realistically, there is no universal rule on how you advertise your roleplay! Just write what you think is relevant for you and what you look in your potential rp partners.

A few threads you can check that were talking about similar things and they contain some good advice:

One of the biggest things that helps with an Interest Check is being honest about the RP's content and presentation style.

For example if you want to do a Fantasy adventure with magic and mystical creatures and Elves and all that stuff, it's best not to try and hide anything about it like trying to keep Dragons on the down-low until you want them to show up because everyone will join expecting them to be a thing in the world and some of them might even try making characters with Dragon-slaying backgrounds or something. And then if you come in and tell them "Nope, no Dragon-slaying. They're special." But you never said that anywhere in the interest check, people are gonna get pissed. Ya know?

So yeah. Be honest about your RP's content and presentation and what everyone can expect from it and you'll be A-Okay!

THIS. As an RPer, one of the main reasons I don't vibe with an Interest Check is if it isn't descriptive enough, both about the universe and about what is expected of the player. So many interesting premises, but it's like. 3 sentences, or on the other end it's a confusing text wall that still doesn't communicate what's in the interest checker's head.

:O these are all really good tips thanks guys!! I posted a small interest check already so it'll be nice to improve it, it was a bit basic.

Took a look at your interest check and here are some bits of advice.

The bit that starts "I'll only do Canon x Canon ..." can probably be removed as it's a bit confusing. You also reiterate the information in pairings.

I would also add specific canons you want people to play for you or you can play yourself. (ex. I can play Canon A, B, and C. I would like you to play Canon 1, 2, 3.)

Lastly I would put how often you can post / how often you want your partner to post. (ex. I can post once a week, I would like you to be able to reply the same.)

THIS. As an RPer, one of the main reasons I don't vibe with an Interest Check is if it isn't descriptive enough, both about the universe and about what is expected of the player. So many interesting premises, but it's like. 3 sentences, or on the other end it's a confusing text wall that still doesn't communicate what's in the interest checker's head.
This is very true. Details are definitely required. I skip over interest checks that just say something along the lines of "I want to RP, PM me."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back