Viewpoint What makes a good (group) player?

Roleplay Type(s)
There have been threads discussing, directly or indirectly, what it means to be a good GM, but what about being a good player? Everyone has an idea on how much or how often their ideal player posts, but what are, in your opinion, the (mostly) objective qualities that most people could agree on, or at least acknowledge as being reasonable?

Let's focus on group roleplay, but there will probably be some ideas that are universal between that format and 1x1s. The viewpoints of fellow players are as valid as those of the GMs.

To start, I think a good player...
  • Understands that a roleplay is a time commitment. Real-life surprises aside, they consider whether they can dedicate themselves to the game as much as the GM requests - long-term, if that's the nature of the game.
  • Announces departures - privately to the GM or publicly to the group. They don't have to state the reason if they feel uncomfortable doing so, but they understand that the simple act of communicating is being courteous to the people they are leaving.
  • Pays attention to the rules, the lore, and, if applicable, the desired tone that the GM has established. They join only if they are comfortable with those details. If the GM allows players to add to the lore, they may do so, but they work within the parameters set by the GM.
  • Separates IC from OOC; they don't equate the mean-spirited character to the player, they don't use IC as a venue for passive aggressiveness, and they understand the difference between meta/OOC knowledge and the knowledge that their character possesses.
  • Brings their own ideas, perhaps goals or conflicts that they would like their character to accomplish/overcome, depending on the nature of the game.
  • Understands that every player character is important and acts as a team player accordingly. They share the spotlight and support the arcs of the other characters, whether that's through being an ally or an antagonist.

What are some other thoughts?

The best players are engaged and able to move the story forward without needing GM assistance/oversight.

The roleplays I have been in that lasted the longest it was because the GM set clear guidelines and the players were actively involved in progressing the story and befriending each other.

A good player is open-minded and adaptable. They don't demand the players or the game to cater only to their own wants, beliefs, and opinions. (ex. "No! You can't give your wizard a tarantula familiar! I'm arachnaphobic!" or "My character wouldn't take part in this event, so now I'm stuck! This isn't fair!")

A good player adds to and supports the game. They don't always expect everyone else to do all the work and throw them RP hooks and ideas. The other players are trying to tell their own character's story, and they shouldn't be expected to throw all their creative energies onto another PC that isn't theirs because the other person is always stuck and having writer's block.

A good player is considerate of the GM and the other players and doesn't try to derail the game. They should be able to "read the room" and have an understanding of the game's overall tone, and create a character that is harmonious with the setting and the other PCs. If folks are going for a more serious game, it's probably not a good idea to play a Chaotic Stupid LOLRaNdUm murderhobo.

A good player is...
...someone who shows basic etiquette and respect towards the rest of the group and the roleplay itself. This is a bit of a bundle including a lot of things one would consider the core aspects of engagement as roleplayers and people. Paying attention, notifying people, at least trying to be friendly, knowing and following the rules, etc...

...someone who is genuinely interested in the RP in question. Passion is extremely important, it's the thing that separates "acceptable" and "good". Liking the group, to hang out with them OOC, to think about the IC and invest in the way one posts and what happens within it, etc... The more one loves the RP and puts that passion into their engagement with the RP and the group the more effective that passion can be for everyone's own growing interest and morale, as well as to the fundamental purpose of RPing: Fun through storycrafting with others.

...someone who is capable of and does engage IC and OOC at an adequate pace and frequency. This includes making an effort to make sure they can fulfill what their compromises and not making them if they don't have that reasonable expectation.

...someone who contributes to the RP of their own initiative (doesn't need nor expect to be continually pushed by others, able to come up with their own ideas and engage with things of their own accord), and attempts to strike a balance of independence (having their own character, moving and acting on their own, possibly contributing to plot and worldbuilding with their own making) and agreeableness (Engaging with the plot and events of others, holding back from doing certain things) with an aim for cooperation (the balance is not necessarily 50/50, but rather it's dependent on what would be most beneficial for the needs of the group and a successful flowing story).

...someone who strives to be conscious of other's needs as well as their own, and through compromise and cooperation wants to satisfy both. While it is not necessary for a player to be a good player that they go out of their way to give others tools to fulfill their needs and to be knowledgeable of other's work (player characters, the GM's lore etc....) they should favor doing so when an opportunity is presented.

....someone capable of and willing to make and play a character that is decently made as a character, concise enough to form a solid identity and fitting in the roleplay both in terms of plot, worldbuilding and lore, but also within the context of other characters.

...someone with at least a minimal competence in terms of writing. This may not be a universal principle, but I think I can reasonably say that I doubt very many people in the site would genuinely consider someone a good partner or group member if they misspell every other word and can't get their tense straight. I'm not someone who'd ordinarily excessively care about people's grammar mind you - never has that requirement been listed in an interest check of mine - but in the discussion of a 'good player' having readable posts seems like a requirement. I suppose this might also apply to people who use excessive code or code which is otherwise too difficult to read.

Honestly, I just wish people would actually COMMIT to their stated interest.

• A good group roleplayer fills out their CS soon after stating their interest in the RT.

• A good group roleplayer makes their introduction post within a timely manner after the main thread goes up.

• A good group roleplayer doesn't bog down the pace of posting.
    • OR run away with posts with just one other participant while the rest of the group is away

• A good group roleplayer keeps the mood of literacy as the other players in mind when making their own posts.

• A good group roleplayer doesn't make up the same tired excuses when they can't/won't/don't want to participate in the RP anymore.

• A good group roleplayer is mindful of the kind of participation they can contribute and doesn't join up with RPs they can't stick with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back