Other What kinds of fears that ruin your life?

Urarakasa

i like my ravens thick and fluffy
Honestly I couldn't think of a topic stupider than this. But yea, just tell me what kinds of fears that somewhat basically ruins everything for you or something.

I have Emeteophobia (Fear of Vomit), Necrophobia (Fear of Dying), and Glossophobia (Fear of Public Speaking), I can't tell how much of these fears that really mess up my life. Emeteophobia is something i've dealt with the longest, and that my brother always tend to tease me because of this phobia, and tends to fake vomit just to see my reactions, even when I know it's fake. Necrophobia always makes me wonder on how i'll die or when I die, and that I always feel in such tense pain whenever I get these kinds of thoughts... just- haunting. Glossophobia really just makes me want to stay inside of my home 24/7 and never leave it cause i'm always afraid to speak around others, and even though this probably relates to Social Anxiety, but i'm just gonna go with it.

oof.

I actually suffer from Astrapophobia, I think is the correct name and spelling for it. Sudden, loud sounds and unwarranted flashes of light just bring me to a pitiful state.

Probably the worst I've had to deal with from this was, once, while walking across the street back when I lived in America, someone shot off a firework out of nowhere, and I instantly dropped to the pavement. Had my father not been there to get the attention of a car passing by, thus redirecting them, I probably wouldn't be here right now.

i can relate wholeheartedly with emeteophobia. it really sucks due to the constant undermining.
the worst part is though, you can't really help their friend if they're sick. i want to be helping them if they happen to throw up or something, but i can't, because the thought of them throwing up is terrifying.
i'm also scared of throwing up myself. i haven't in seven years and i'm always really scared for when it's going to happen next.

I actually suffer from Astrapophobia, I think is the correct name and spelling for it. Sudden, loud sounds and unwarranted flashes of light just bring me to a pitiful state.

Probably the worst I've had to deal with from this was, once, while walking across the street back when I lived in America, someone shot off a firework out of nowhere, and I instantly dropped to the pavement. Had my father not been there to get the attention of a car passing by, thus redirecting them, I probably wouldn't be here right now.

Oh man, I didn't even know that phobia existed somehow... but wow, i'm glad that you are safe and that your father managed to help you out when you dropped onto the pavement and all. Seriously, if I ever had Astrapophobia, I would be long gone by now since I literally live in a place that has nothing BUT loud noises.

i can relate wholeheartedly with emeteophobia. it really sucks due to the constant undermining.
the worst part is though, you can't really help their friend if they're sick. i want to be helping them if they happen to throw up or something, but i can't, because the thought of them throwing up is terrifying.
i'm also scared of throwing up myself. i haven't in seven years and i'm always really scared for when it's going to happen next.

I only have one friend, but they're never sick at the most times, or bothering to show that they are- but if I saw them threw up, I would just scream and run out of whatever we are. It's like when my brother once puked onto the kitchen floor despite the fact I told him to go to the bathroom and that I bet he just did that to scare me- oh sorry getting off track here, oof. But anyways, when he puked, I literally went ballistic. I screamed like crazy, and I ran out of the house. Stayed outside for like a dang hour before my father had to come and take my brother to the dang bathtub. But he got so mad at me because "i'm afraid of a little throw up", but he doesn't understand the fact that this phobia is no joke, and that I can't just instantly man up and get over my fear of vomit. I remember a month ago where I was actually about to throw up, but I managed to hold it in after like... 5 minutes of drinking on water and such. I haven't puked since 2014 and i'm doing whatever I can to keep myself from puking again.

But for you, I hope that you'll be able to face your fear and that you can be able to help your friend in need, because for me, it's going to take a LONG time before I face my fear of vomit... and help out my own friend.

I don't have any phobias or anything of the sort, but I tend to wonder what people think of me causing me to be overly wary of my surroundings. It's not a bad thing, it just destracts me a lot and makes me focus on people talking quietly which makes me wait to see if they'll look in my direction. That's how I'd know presumably if they're talking about me. It's more a fear if people don't like me or think something is wrong with me or are saying something bad about me.

For me, fear of failure or imperfection has held me back the most in my life. I have always had a perfectionist nature, but I really wish I have been more risky. I think failing at something, and realizing that failure is not a life-shattering event is so important. I always thought it was cliche when people said their failures have helped more than their successes, but looking back, I think it's true. Having the courage to fail means having the courage to improve and keep trying. Ironically enough, I also think it helps confidence. I don't think it's beneficial for your self-esteem to rely on never having failed. I think it's much better to have failed and know that it's okay and that you can get better and that you are not the sum of your failures.

Honestly I couldn't think of a topic stupider than this. But yea, just tell me what kinds of fears that somewhat basically ruins everything for you or something.

I have Emeteophobia (Fear of Vomit), Necrophobia (Fear of Dying), and Glossophobia (Fear of Public Speaking), I can't tell how much of these fears that really mess up my life. Emeteophobia is something i've dealt with the longest, and that my brother always tend to tease me because of this phobia, and tends to fake vomit just to see my reactions, even when I know it's fake. Necrophobia always makes me wonder on how i'll die or when I die, and that I always feel in such tense pain whenever I get these kinds of thoughts... just- haunting. Glossophobia really just makes me want to stay inside of my home 24/7 and never leave it cause i'm always afraid to speak around others, and even though this probably relates to Social Anxiety, but i'm just gonna go with it.

oof.

Sorry you're going through all that.

I would say my problems are not phobias so much as fear that leads to avoidance behaviors. Like, fear of not saying the right thing makes me avoid phone calls. Fear of the conversation getting out of control makes me talk the whole time to control what happens in the conversation.

Sorry you're going through all that.

I would say my problems are not phobias so much as fear that leads to avoidance behaviors. Like, fear of not saying the right thing makes me avoid phone calls. Fear of the conversation getting out of control makes me talk the whole time to control what happens in the conversation.

I have such high doubts whenever it comes to talking and all, especially when I always worry that if I said something that FELT wrong, i'll just instantly leave the conversation without no words. But having Glossophobia is even hecking worse; feeling like I can't be social, feeling like an outcast, barely being in contanct with anyone, it's a living heck.

My extreme fear of heights! They really suck. I sometimes need to climb huge ladders and my dear makes me not want too

I'm really ashamed to say it, but agoraphobia, i don't feel comfortable when I'm alone, or surrounded by crowds of people, thanks to that stupid school bullying.

Last edited:
I am absolutely afraid of getting a job that I would have to leave the house for. I hate the idea of it. I work exclusively over the internet. I hate talking to people face to face.

I don't know if there's a name for it (there most likely is), but due to my experiences growing up, I'm almost afraid of trying because of my low self esteem. For example, there was a huge exam for a possible job I could've had years ago (2012) but I didn't take it because I "knew" I would fail it. I literally had no confidence in myself. So, I was always afraid of trying, even for a job, because why would they pick me or how would I win?

Well, after discovering that we can accomplish things, etc, and a long personal journey, I'm succeeding and I'm actually going out and not only "seizing opportunity", but making it. I'm very introverted and afraid of people (again, school experience) but I'm "faking" it and actually am making friends and experiencing that there are good in people.

So, I suppose I have fear of failure (therefore I don't like to try) and fear of people.

Pocrescophobia (Fear of getting fat), bulimia (I'm ya'lls worse nightmare) has single handily destroyed most of the friendships I've made, missed rent a few times cause binge food is more important, almost made me drop out of college (academic probation ftw), and most importantly fucked my body up. I literally hate eating and food but spend most of my time obsessing over it, hate being in public because all I do is compare myself to others. Getting fat again is my worse fear but I am fighting it and am slowly progressing in my recovery but it leaves me so exhausted at the end of the day fighting to eat and keep it down I can hardly do anything.

I have vehophobia, i yell and freeze constantly when in the passengers seat, and i still need a small amount of therapy due too how dangerous it would be for me too drive. Good thing my town has a bus system and i can call a taxi.

Fear of... something going wrong with my body/dying young? I believe there's an official term to describe it, but I was born premature and still vehemently believe something will happen the older I get. I guess it's just my fancy way of saying I'm afraid of death, falling ill and the like. It sucks because the clinical anxiety I have just compounds onto this fear. Really sucks.

Fear of... something going wrong with my body/dying young? I believe there's an official term to describe it, but I was born premature and still vehemently believe something will happen the older I get. I guess it's just my fancy way of saying I'm afraid of death, falling ill and the like. It sucks because the clinical anxiety I have just compounds onto this fear. Really sucks.

I have Lupus, so I have this fear as well since Lupus can be associated with so many medical problems. I just try and take it a day at a time and try to think about what's going right with my body as opposed to what could go wrong.

Cold Ramen Noodles Cold Ramen Noodles My sympathies, bud. You make a very valid point, and I try to uphold that to the best of my ability as my jittery mental state will allow, but there's no denying on some days it's just harder than others. One day at a time, people.

I don't know if there's a name for it (there most likely is), but due to my experiences growing up, I'm almost afraid of trying because of my low self esteem. For example, there was a huge exam for a possible job I could've had years ago (2012) but I didn't take it because I "knew" I would fail it. I literally had no confidence in myself. So, I was always afraid of trying, even for a job, because why would they pick me or how would I win?

Well, after discovering that we can accomplish things, etc, and a long personal journey, I'm succeeding and I'm actually going out and not only "seizing opportunity", but making it. I'm very introverted and afraid of people (again, school experience) but I'm "faking" it and actually am making friends and experiencing that there are good in people.

So, I suppose I have fear of failure (therefore I don't like to try) and fear of people.

Yo, there is definitely a name for that.

Fear of failure, imagining the worst case scenario and fear of people are textbook symptoms of social anxiety and GAD (I have both and I have all these same symptoms down to a T). And clinical anxiety is usually rooted in experiences during childhood.

You could always go see a counselor and a psychiatrist to get a diagnosis if you'd like and are able. It sounds like you're doing well in spite of it, but it never hurts to get diagnosed and be able to talk to someone about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back