Viewpoint What kind of “roles” do you enjoy in 1x1 plots?

I enjoy playing the character who others have to spend time getting to know, and vice-versa. I feel I aim for my characters to bring an emotional bond to the rp, in addition to furthering the plot.

oml, I have discovered that I tend to play rich, prissy girls who have humorous flaws

I forgot to mention it earlier in the thread, but I do rather enjoy playing the anti-establishment types who just don't give a damn about societal norms or desire to dismantle the status quo entirely. This is especially true in dystopian settings, although in a 1x1 RP I'm in now I'm playing a communist revolutionary. Of course he's like "fuck the system" but then things become complicated when he falls in love with a princess.

I forgot to mention it earlier in the thread, but I do rather enjoy playing the anti-establishment types who just don't give a damn about societal norms or desire to dismantle the status quo entirely. This is especially true in dystopian settings, although in a 1x1 RP I'm in now I'm playing a communist revolutionary. Of course he's like "fuck the system" but then things become complicated when he falls in love with a princess.

That sounds so epic!

Mmm I honestly love the roles of characters who have to explore themselves, who need to find an answer deep inside of them and that forces them to truly understand themselves and others, I like that kind of introspective journey.

The point is to make a believable character, but give it tons of room to grow, either teaming up with other characters or getting pulled into other characters stories and adapting to it. It gives room for powers / abilities / skills to develop and show marked improvement over time, furthermore it makes them more adaptable to the characters they meet, more easily melding into their story. Someone relatively 'new' to a world of, say adventuring or the like who needs to lean on the experience of others, and becomes thereby influenced by their quirks and methods.

I'd love to do that, but my previous roleplays have never lasted long enough or held a strong enough plot for that stuff. I'd tear out my own spleen to be a blank slate easily persuaded OC.

I love the character type who has ruined their own life. Or at least, part of it.

I love exploring my OCs as they realise they've effed up and that their lives could have been better had they not done something.

Or -- better yet -- they've ruined their lives [or contributed to something that did] but had they not done that, their lives could have been worse.

I'm also SO down to hurt my characters, whether physically or emotionally. I'd gladly let you displace half of their blood, or bully them into doing something questionable. I can't fathom how people don't like their OCs getting hurt or offended or even scared.
[My characters exist solely to fulfil my sadistic desires]

Last edited:
I love the character type who has ruined their own life. Or at least, part of it.

I love exploring my OCs as they realise they've effed up and that their lives could have been better had they not done something.

Or -- better yet -- they've ruined their lives [or contributed to something that did] but had they not done that, their lives could have been worse.

I'm also SO down to hurt my characters, whether physically or emotionally. I'd gladly let you displace half of their blood, or bully them into doing something questionable. I can't fathom how people don't like their OCs getting hurt or offended or even scared.
[My characters exist solely to fulfil my sadistic desires]

DUUUUDE SAAAAAME

I love making really rambunctious and boisterous characters, who are a kind of mentor that knows a particular skill and would make a great parent given their personality. But they have something to them that can really affect their relationships if it ever goes south for a second, with their ideals and feelings forcing them to burn bridges when the suspensions just need fixing.

I also like making a character who is so hopeful and full of life and then something really fucked up happens and they have to struggle through their life now, blaming themselves for something they could have done better or just in complete denial that it ever happened to begin with.

I also like making really strong characters who have never had any issues fighting (whether emotionally or physically, but usually the latter), but they end up fighting against a monster they can't hope to beat, only for someone to save them and they have to wrestle with their feelings (because it happens a lot, someone getting saved by someone stronger tends to further the relationship by a couple of steps, whether platonic or romantic) as well as their pride until they finally give in and either learn a life lesson or better their skills or gain new ones.

That was a long sentence. I'm so sorry.

I don't like "I love you - I hate you - I love you" character roles though. Nor do I like love triangles. I prefer action/adventure RPs with a bit of romance, but it doesn't have to be. Though, I end up making my characters pretty touchy-feely anyway. XD

I don't like "I love you - I hate you - I love you" character roles,though. Nor do I like love triangles. I prefer action/adventure RPs with a bit of romance, but it doesn't have to be. Though, I end up making my characters pretty touchy-feely anyway. XD

Funny enough I don't usually aim for my RP's to be centred on romance, but oftentimes it ends up becoming a large portion of the plot regardless, lol.

Funny enough I don't usually aim for my RP's to be centred on romance, but oftentimes it ends up becoming a large portion of the plot regardless, lol.

That usually what happens with me. XD At one point, we are like "our characters are a great foil" and then later we are like "what if they dated? Shall it happen?" XD And there we go.

That usually what happens with me. XD At one point, we are like "our characters are a great foil" and then later we are like "what if they dated? Shall it happen?" XD And there we go.

Yea. It's just really fun to write, especially when it's one of the tropes I really enjoy. A lot of the plots/settings I do work exceptionally well for things like forbidden romance and star-crossed love.

Yea. It's just really fun to write, especially when it's one of the tropes I really enjoy. A lot of the plots/settings I do work exceptionally well for things like forbidden romance and star-crossed love.

Omg, I like those same plots/settings for those romance stuff. Also I really like power dynamics that fluctuate. While I do like static power dynamics, where one character is always stronger than the other and the other is trying to get to that level, I do like power dynamics that change depending on the situation or even the time of day. Like if an emissary of the sun and the apostle of the moon were to date, one would always be stronger than the other, with them both reaching an equal footing around dawn or dusk as the emissary takes care of the apostle during the day and the apostle takes care of the emissary during the night.

Last edited:
Omg, I like those same plots/settings for those romance stuff. Also I really power dynamics that fluctuate. While I do like static power dynamics, where one character is always stronger than the other and the other is trying to get to that level, I do like power dynamics that change depending on the situation or even the time of day. Like if an emissary of the sun and the apostle of the moon were to date, one would always be stronger than the other, with them both reaching an equal footing around dawn or dusk as the emissary takes care of the apostle during the day and the apostle takes care of the emissary during the night.

Exactly. Like, I'm in a 1x1 right now that is set in revolutionary Russia but with our own fictional characters so we're not portraying actual historical figures. My character, a revolutionary, falls in love with one of the princesses. Of course you can see where this is going...

Gotta love those forbidden love plots, lol.

Exactly. Like, I'm in a 1x1 right now that is set in revolutionary Russia but with our own fictional characters so we're not portraying actual historical figures. My character, a revolutionary, falls in love with one of the princesses. Of course you can see where this is going...

Gotta love those forbidden love plots, lol.

Oh, is that your communist revolutionary I read a few posts back? XD That was really interesting to read. XD I feel like I won't be able to make those kinds of plots without having someone else's input to bounce back and forth with. That sounds amazingly awesome.

Oh, is that your communist revolutionary I read a few posts back? XD That was really interesting to read. XD I feel like I won't be able to make those kinds of plots without having someone else's input to bounce back and forth with. That sounds amazingly awesome.

Indeed it is. My character is a communist to the core, hates the monarchy and genuinely believes in creating a worker's state. However, while given the task of serving as a guard for the imprisoned Imperial family he falls for one of them.

DUUUUDE SAAAAAME

1) I love making really rambunctious and boisterous characters, who are a kind of mentor that knows a particular skill and would make a great parent given their personality. But they have something to them that can really affect their relationships if it ever goes south for a second, with their ideals and feelings forcing them to burn bridges when the suspensions just need fixing.

2) I also like making a character who is so hopeful and full of life and then something really fucked up happens and they have to struggle through their life now, blaming themselves for something they could have done better or just in complete denial that it ever happened to begin with.

3) I also like making really strong characters who have never had any issues fighting (whether emotionally or physically, but usually the latter), but they end up fighting against a monster they can't hope to beat, only for someone to save them and they have to wrestle with their feelings (because it happens a lot, someone getting saved by someone stronger tends to further the relationship by a couple of steps, whether platonic or romantic) as well as their pride until they finally give in and either learn a life lesson or better their skills or gain new ones.

That was a long sentence. I'm so sorry.

I don't like "I love you - I hate you - I love you" character roles though. Nor do I like love triangles. I prefer action/adventure RPs with a bit of romance, but it doesn't have to be. Though, I end up making my characters pretty touchy-feely anyway. XD

Oh gosh, you're giving me so many ideasssssss I wanna do these now!

But honestly, I AIM for the "low-key POS but has a great skill/talent/personality trait so deal with it" type OC. Ughhhh I love it when my OC aggravates another OC or vice versa. You think I create people just to havegood lives? Probably shouldn't be a mother now i think of it

Though, about the ideals making OCs sever connections, can you give examples? I don't understand.

And YES I've done (3) to my main OC but to a lesser extent. Where he'd used to being granted things from hard work and talent but over time that payoff dwindles as he gets older and realises that life's expectations are increasing. And then you explore how they respond to that -- especially if they're the confident, forward-thinking, arrogant type. Maybe they turn to some immoral means of gaining that same respect and stability?

(2) fascinates me -- the pure heart being shattered -- but I'd probably link it to something they've actually done or believed. Just for the torture bants haha... Also, I'd want the tragedy(ies) to ignite some dark trait within the otherwise pure character. Because pure just means "untouched", rather than "perfect". Idyllic lives only smother deep, twisted urges and thoughts within people.

Also, I LOVE it when OCs have insecurities and worries that ARE true. Like a teen fears they're the unfavoured one because of their natural behaviours as well as the traumatic birth which brought them here -- and they're correct. Especially if it gets proven/ AHHHHHHEIDKN YES okay calm down Cirro

Oh gosh, you're giving me so many ideasssssss I wanna do these now!

But honestly, I AIM for the "low-key POS but has a great skill/talent/personality trait so deal with it" type OC. Ughhhh I love it when my OC aggravates another OC or vice versa. You think I create people just to havegood lives? Probably shouldn't be a mother now i think of it

Though, about the ideals making OCs sever connections, can you give examples? I don't understand.

And YES I've done (3) to my main OC but to a lesser extent. Where he'd used to being granted things from hard work and talent but over time that payoff dwindles as he gets older and realises that life's expectations are increasing. And then you explore how they respond to that -- especially if they're the confident, forward-thinking, arrogant type. Maybe they turn to some immoral means of gaining that same respect and stability?

(2) fascinates me -- the pure heart being shattered -- but I'd probably link it to something they've actually done or believed. Just for the torture bants haha... Also, I'd want the tragedy(ies) to ignite some dark trait within the otherwise pure character. Because pure just means "untouched", rather than "perfect". Idyllic lives only smother deep, twisted urges and thoughts within people.

Also, I LOVE it when OCs have insecurities and worries that ARE true. Like a teen fears they're the unfavoured one because of their natural behaviours as well as the traumatic birth which brought them here -- and they're correct. Especially if it gets proven/ AHHHHHHEIDKN YES okay calm down Cirro

So, an ideal of one of my characters is that you should never outright insult your friends, no matter how true it could be. You do it in a civil matter or just not bring it up at all. That is the character's ideal relationship with anyone: being sweet, supportive, kind, firm, and tender, but never outright make them feel like shit.

I had this character, named Reggie (Reginald is his actual name), fall in love with someone named Alice. It was a Pokemon RPG medieval high fantasy setting, and the two of them were mages. Reggie was born under a lesser noble (pretty sure he's an earl now) while Alice was born under the first founders of the temple for Omniscient City, the city of Giratina and their followers.

They both respected each other based on where they came from and both also had an admiration in the lord, effectively making their lord become their best friend or a father figure. They both worked together and they found their passion in dancing, and dancing also helped exercise all of their magic (for a bit of background, there is a primary, secondary, and tertiary type to mages. Secondaries dont have to be there, and having just a tertiary is extremely rare, but usually a mage has three types based on the 18 types of Pokemon).

Due to their friendship and budding feelings for each other, their break up was immense. They never actually asked to date each other because Alice was waiting for Reggie to ask first and he got too comfortable just flirting with her and thinking nothing wrong could happen to the two. When an incident involving a cursed raggedy doll's leg that caused the anger and irritations to become wrath and violence caused the two to spit insults at each other and actually fight each other while their Pokemon literally couldn't get through the magically sealed door that separated the trainers from their Pokemon, they couldn't see each other as the same. Their lord had to bust them out of there himself, as it was a location that no one should dare enter. The lord then pulled them to his study after they cooled down, talking to them one-by-one.

Alice wanted to move on and put it behind her, feeling upset at the things she said and feeling remorseful. But Reggie, while he also felt guilty for hurting her like that, didn't feel the same. He hurt her so badly that he couldn't talk to her about it. And the things she said hurt him to the core. Mainly because what they both spat ar each other was true. Reggie followed the lord around like a lost puppy and wanting to feel even more special, while not being the strongest in terms of magic. Alice was overshadowed by Reggie's family's accomplishments and she has always felt inferior to him, no matter if he tried his best to make her feel otherwise.

Plus, Reggie told her among the fight they had that he was willing and going to ask her out after the mission, but they were too clouded by anger during that time to see reason that the doll's leg had broke them apart.

After everything was said and done, Reggie tries to see Alice again, but couldn't find the confidence to do so. He thought that no matter how much he tried to apologize for it, he'd never get over it, and neither would she. He, in his eyes, lost her forever after that. Afterwards, Alice tries to reconcile with him, get him to open up about it, but this stubborn ass didn't want to because he felt like he didn't deserve her and she didn't deserve him for what was said between the two, even if the words were not their own.

TL; DR: So basically, if there is a belief or a viewpoint that could directly affect a relationship because it is how the person thinks a relationship between friends or romantic interests should go, or a belief/viewpoint that could indirectly affect a relationship because of a certain situation revealing something about the character or making an aspect the character has worsen, then it could affect someone's relationship when those things happen.

Good lord. XD sorry about that, I apparently just needed to get those two characters off my chest.

I have more to say about your other points, I just hit the send button too early.

EDIT: I am a mother and I make my characters go through horrible bad times. Your brain chemistry changes so you don't end up hurting your children, even if it comes in a little later.

I have done (3) in the Seven Deadly Sins universe. Made a character who came from the SDS equivalent of Saxony (which was located roughly around where Germany is now), made her an apostle of a Moon Goddess from that country, and then made her cursed to live her life bound to live just as long as her Goddess saw fit for her and her cousin. She was made to be the love interest of Escanor (which I did end up having to bend the canon a little bit, but that's neither here nor there). Due to her magical abilities, durability, and stamina becoming stronger during night and gaining a fast regeneration, she was basically like the opposite of Escanor. She gained power from her Goddess if asked for favors during the day and was technically a branch of sin in SDS version of Saxony. She became the Wolf Sin of Revenge due to something she did to pay for her parents' deaths, causing her to be exiled for her actions. Her personality doesn't change, but she does get more feral, vengeful, and aggressive in the night than she does during the day.

So, I basically made her quite the opposite and thought it worked quite well. She protects Escanor during the night, understood how he worked during the day and what to say to him that appeased him, and they both help each other not feel like total pieces of shit due to their awful pasts.

I was so happy after learning this was doable, especially learning about how the dynamic between Escanor and Merlin worked. XD

As for (2), I literally did that in the aforementioned Pokemon RPG (which takes place in the fan-made region of Risia), where I had my main character, Miles, have his Pokemon die in front of him after trying to save someone who hated his guts for being a baron. Yea, happy 16-year-old hope to become the next ruler of Risia turned into dismay. And Miles insecurities were being a bad trainer and losing his Pokemon. While he isn't a bad trainer, he still lost his Pokemon and nearly shoved away all his other Pokemon, acting like they all had died when they were just as affected by the death of their comrade.

Last edited:
So, an ideal of one of my characters is that you should never outright insult your friends, no matter how true it could be. You do it in a civil matter or just not bring it up at all. That is the character's ideal relationship with anyone: being sweet, supportive, kind, firm, and tender, but never outright make them feel like shit.

I had this character, named Reggie...

PM

the role where i don't have to decide the whole story for someone and never allowed to be passive in a project

That's a great question actually. It really makes you think of the usual characters you play.

I like playing a few, now that I think about it.

1) In terms of fantasy/adventure type RPs I like playing the character who is mainly a medic/healer/support/defense specialist. I think that's wholly because when I used to play online games in real life (Ragnarok or Overwatch anyone?) I would SUCK at building a fighter/tank character and I sucked more at using them. When I tried to play support, I was way better at it. Nice that I figured that out.

2) In terms of slice of life I'm pretty flexible but I do tend to lean towards stoic characters who doesn't seem to care much about the world but is actually quite amicable.

Reading other people's answers here really makes me realize that there's so many different characters that people prefer and that's probably one reason why it's kinda difficult to find an RP/RP partner that really blows your mind. Not a bad thing though, just interesting.

Reading other people's answers here really makes me realize that there's so many different characters that people prefer and that's probably one reason why it's kinda difficult to find an RP/RP partner that really blows your mind. Not a bad thing though, just interesting.

I mean I'd actually argue the opposite. People's different preferences make for a great filter. If everyone preferred similar things, each partner would just be mild and the same old thing- but since they don't, the better you understand your own preferences the better you are able to express exactly what you are interested in or hoping for, the puzzle pieces fit better if they are matched for one another rather than every thing one being an equal square.

This certainly has been my experience. I used to have a lot more roleplays than I have no going on at once, and plenty were enjoyable- but all of my best partners and experiences have come from me knowing better what I'm really looking for and filtering for it. As a result I barely take any partners nowadays, but almost all of the ones I do end up being partners I really love working with.

I mean I'd actually argue the opposite. People's different preferences make for a great filter. If everyone preferred similar things, each partner would just be mild and the same old thing- but since they don't, the better you understand your own preferences the better you are able to express exactly what you are interested in or hoping for, the puzzle pieces fit better if they are matched for one another rather than every thing one being an equal square.

Fair point and true! :D
I guess what I meant to say is that it takes a while to find that right match. Or maybe it's just me! Hahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back