What Kills a Good RP ?

I'd say poor communication, the lack of dedicated players and trolls kill an rp. Especially True in long rps with a huge number of participants.

Hmmm for me it's important not to ignore a character or forget they are there so I usually make my OC walk up to someone that is obviously interested in playing but for some reason hadn't been interacted with yet... But that doesn't happen too often and if it does it's usually in huge groups or in the beginning where people don't know every OC in the RP yet... If that even makes any sense. In the end I don't like groups that are too big, so if there are too many characters I usually don't join...

Oh and also if a conversation inside the IC lasts for too long...

Two writers willing to contribute to the plot and speak up if the plot isn't going anywhere.

So it’s a couple things for me.

1. Wen peepol spel lik dis. Listen man my eyes are shit already don’t expose them to this sin.
2. When I write a long detailed post and get this in return: “Hi,” he said. Like your reply doesn’t have to be as long but can you at least make an effort here?
3. If it’s fandom related, then characters who are enormously out of character. To the point where it’s not even the same character anymore. Please don’t tell me you can play a specific character if you actually can’t...like seriously.

It's important to form good relationships with the people you're roleplaying with. It's easier to keep the RP alive when you're friends with them. So communication is important, and conversations don't always have to be about the RP. Get to know eachother. IC and OOC.

Another major thing that contributes to the death of roleplays is the lack of commitment. We all lose motivation sometimes, but if we're commited, we won't quit despite the lack of motivation. At the very beginning, you have to state what you're expecting from the players. Let them know that you're looking for commited players only.

Another problem is our different schedules. Life gets in the way all the time, so establish sets of rules when it comes to posting. Find a certain pace which everyone can agree to. There are players who want to post every few days, but there are players who can wait 3 weeks for a post. It doesn't matter, as long as you all have an agreement. At the beginning, ask people how frequently they can post, and what kind of pace (fast or slow) they want the RP to take.

Another thing that ruins a good RP is having a bad writer. Have standards. Look for people who have good grammar. (Basic spelling, panctuations, etc.) The player doesn't have to be super good at writing, as long as he knows the basics.

Flesh out your ideas before posting them. Sometimes, we get a good idea and we want to turn it into an RP immediately, but don't. You need to plan it out first. Flesh out the plot, settings, etc. You need to figure out how you want the RP to progress. You can't just think of a "starter" and an "end goal" you need to think of how you'll get to the end goal while keeping the story fun and interesting.

Lastly, boring characters. pick characters that will fit well with the RP. I don't think I need to explain further.

I really do appreciate everyone who has left me advice on this board. I will be sure to use all the wisdom here to better myself as I begin to gm my first role play.

One liners.

I get writer's block, I really do! But for an entire duration of an RP when your partner is giving you paragraphs...its just seems lazy? Or at least establish that's your writing style before the start of the rp or, start putting some effort and give me some meat of a reply to work with!

Bombardment in OOC on how to...impress my character.

Insta-hell no.
Seriously.
It's forced and just downright icky to be quite honest! Not to mention annoying.

The character who does nothing but brood in the corner but only wants what they want and as for your character's wants and needs? Nah. Let me just sigh pitifully in the corner wanting attention...and not make an effort anywhere else. Just me ME ME...

In romance rps...when there's no growth.
Where's my angst? Where's my insecurities? Nah, I'm just going to kiss you and the end. Nooo. Fight! Fight for your love!

Just flat out disappearing.
I've done this in the long past and I now knock my own head to make sure I don't do it anymore. Just communicate! Especially if you already planned something wonderful or several posts have been written. But to just leave without saying...its really disheartening.

There's others but those are some of my big ones.

OOC chat frequency but also keeping it partially on topic. In role post frequency, rps die if people don’t post as often cuz everyone is impatient in their own way

1.) Extremely poor grammar.

2.) Character Control.

3.) Ghosting

4.) Using the OOC to not only talk about the roleplay but using it as an outlet for drama.

5.) Godmodding.

6.) Lack of reading posts properly.

7.) Lack of patience.

8.) Lack of communication

9.) Whiny always complaining characters.

This is so helpful, thank you for posting this question!

It was a question that I began to consider after being apart of a series of short role plays. It always bugged me how an Rp could quickly blow up with tons of support, then suddenly disappear.

Biggest killer imo is super infrequent posting. Plot lines are excited when things are rolling along but when you have to wait two weeks for a response, rofl it gets stale fast.

The question I have is what factors lead to a great RP dying out and how to prevent them?

Why do I ask such a question?

Well, the answer is simple. I, like many others on Rpnation, am looking to start up an RP soon. However, I have watched many of my favorite RPs die before the story could even begin. So I thought to consult the public on why this happens and what I can do to best prevent it as a future Gm. This will greatly benefit me as well as others who wish to start an RP here

Thank you to everyone who shares their opinion :3
One guy taking ether to big a role to be replaced and not being deticated or someone taking all the major roles. That along with slow progressing in the plot, inability for new roleplayers to interact and throw in a dash of terrible rpers and ober powered people. BOOM dead rp

One guy taking ether to big a role to be replaced and not being deticated or someone taking all the major roles. That along with slow progressing in the plot, inability for new roleplayers to interact and throw in a dash of terrible rpers and ober powered people. BOOM dead rp

One line rp player are the typical ones who are the most Self Important Mary sues in a RP<(-︿-)>

Every person who sees roleplaying as 'fast food' entertainment. And notification addicts. They are the ones who kill all roleplays in one way or another.

Every person who sees roleplaying as 'fast food' entertainment. And notification addicts. They are the ones who kill all roleplays in one way or another.
Yea, when i was younger i would commit the arch sin my self and i still feel bad about it

This too:

"Oh I love our roleplay."

An hour later

"Are you going to post?"

Thirty minutes later

"I haven't heard from you in a while, are you still interested."

Twenty minutes later

"Did I do something wrong?"

Ten minutes later

"Your post was so good! I can't wait to see what happens."

The next day

"You didn't post are you okay?"

Thirty minutes later

"When are you going to post?"

*Rapidly changing statuses throughout the day*

"I have no replies I'm going to quit roleplaying."
"Where are all my partners at?"
"Im done with this!"
"Will someone reply?"

Enough said.

This too:

"Oh I love our roleplay."

An hour later

"Are you going to post?"

Thirty minutes later

"I haven't heard from you in a while, are you still interested."

Twenty minutes later

"Did I do something wrong?"

Ten minutes later

"Your post was so good! I can't wait to see what happens."

The next day

"You didn't post are you okay?"

Thirty minutes later

"When are you going to post?"

*Rapidly changing statuses throughout the day*

"I have no replies I'm going to quit roleplaying."
"Where are all my partners at?"
"Im done with this!"
"Will someone reply?"

Enough said.

Omg this is hilarious :D

Set up contingencies and back ups for characters. You should be able to quickly address players getting stuck if the person they're rping with indefinitely puts it off or just leaves the rp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back