Viewpoint What is your favorite RP Time period/setting?

BakaTheIdiot

Viscount of Spaghetti Code
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I don't really have to explain this, do I?
---
I love me a good SciFi gig every now and then, but if I'm crunched for time and don't have a lot of opinions to offer, one time period never fails to get me involved: The Great War and WWII.

There is so much to work with behind these horrifying events it's almost impossible to come up with an idea that isn't at least a little interesting. I've even learned a thing or two from these Roleplays!

I like the early 1900s. It’s a good time to add in magical technology to create an alternate reality.

I don't specifically have one, but I love Victoriano/Edwardian times, Cyberpunk, Retro-futuristic and dark fantasy setting that sets in the real world like World of Darkness.
I also love some fandom worlds.

My usual preferred time periods are pseudo-medieval (not actually medieval, just the fantasy kind of medieval), mixed time periods, and what I call "alternative" (a setting which is so different from how our world is that there isn't a direct parallel in terms of time period). I also often enjoy modern and futuristic settings.

Ooooh I love most settings... depends a lot on my mood and current muse levels when it comes to what I go with.
That said, I'd say this is probably my shortlist for favourites?

- Medieval (whether AU or realistic)
- Fantasy (Tolkien-esque worlds specifically)
- Sengoku Japan (whether AU or realistic)

This covers a broad range of settings (especially when I'm being as broad as "fantasy" LOL) but I'd say it mostly sums up what I enjoy.
I like having class conflicts, potential for political drama and complicated settings in general and these three tend to allow for all of that.

Hmmm

My favorite settings are a little all over the place and, in truth, with the right story I like just about any but my favs would have to these:

*Medieval (Fantasy or not, I like the time period)
*Ancient (Romans and such, perhaps with an added fantasy edge which I would also love)
*Western
*1920s (Gotta love some gangster RP)

edgy shit like dark fantasy, dystopian or post-apocalyptic

I'll go as far back as ancient Greece (even further in one case where it took place in biblical times like Moses if he was an actual person....for the record not saying he was or wasn't just using him as a timeline marker (?) lol) all the way up to maybe like 20 years ago. But I'm also one for dystopian future/post apocalyptic type roleplays.

I'll play in pretty much any time period since I love history and historical RP's. However, my absolute favourites have to be Rome, and the 20th century. The former because there's so much depth to explore, especially in the later periods that were full of political turmoil. Between failed military campaigns, corrupt emperors, and religious revolution there's a lot of fun stuff to write stories about. Same applies to the 20th century really. There's so much to explore. My personal favourites are WW II and the Cold War. Again, lots of political turmoil and people doing awful things that makes for juicy storytelling.

I normally prefer distant future Sci-Fi settings usually set between four to eight hundred years in the future, where humanity has invented faster-than-light travel and can freely travel through space and have colonised a significant number of planets, and has advanced technology. I'm pretty much a Sci-Fi geek, so this time period is perfect for space opera and exploration stories. Also because lasers that go pew pew and giant robots are cool.

Occasionally I'll do near-future (i.e. 20 Minutes into the Future, as per TV Tropes) settings that take place within the next hundred years or so, and tend to explore the possible political climate of the later part of the 21st century.

Probably about 1920s to now, with a soft spot for the 60s-90s. I like the research involved!

My favourite time periods are the Roman Principate (27 BCE - 235 CE) and the High Middle Ages (867 CE - 1204 CE), with special focus on the Roman/Byzantine Empire.

Ah-ah, ah!

Viking Era.
While there are so many great periods that have already been mentioned, I also love this one. Is there a Scandinavian equivalent of a weeaboo? Because that'd be me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back