TV & Film What is your favorite movie? ^^

It’s hard to choose just one. But if i had to, it’d definitely be cruel intentions.

Primer is one of those big-brain movies that I can barely understand with a lot of guidance and models and I love it to death. Guardians of the Galaxy is also up there because it's probably the best DnD-esque movie ever made. Fight Club is probably my favorite though, no need to explain.

oof I'm a big movie nerd prepare yourself
I mainly watch horror stuff, and I absolutely love Jacob's Ladder
They're remaking it and it makes me feel very very uncomfortable. The trailer didn't look bad, I'm just like... please don't touch Jacob's Ladder
But, to be fair they have remade one of my favorites - Suspiria - and done a very good job. In that case, however, they changed the entire tone and plot of the film, making it feel like an entirely different story. It did help that the talent was great. I heavily recommend both versions, but the 2018 remake is very long at 2 and a half hours.
I'm also thoroughly enjoying Ari Aster's stuff, both Hereditary and Midsommar were amazing imo. He's doing a comedy movie next, or at least he said he wants to. I have no idea how he's going to go from those to comedy, but I'm here for it. Peele always does something fun, with Get Out and Us being good. I liked Get Out more tbh, but Us was almost a horror comedy? It was pretty funny and unsettling and I loved every minute.

Non-horror, What We Do In The Shadows is a great comedy. I love Taika Waititi, he even made me watch a Marvel movie for the first time in ages.

Other recommendations that I don't feel like writing out blurbs for: Donnie Darko, Phantom of the Paradise, The Shape of Water, Pan's Labyrinth, The Lobster, Isle of the Dogs, Coraline, Neon Demon, Tucker and Dale vs Evil, Perfect Blue, any Ghibli movie, It Follows, Green Room, Train to Busan, Raw, Creep, You're Next, The Evil Dead, In the Mouth of Madness, The Thing, Vvitch, Scream, Black Swan- I could go on

I have a list of 10 movies but top 2 would be

Super Dark Times
Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned

Last edited:
The Wolf of Wall Street.

Leo should have won the Oscar for this.

But it's kind of hard to single out a true "favorite". Depending on my mood, I might change my mind and say Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Die Hard, The Legend of Drunken Master, Goodfellas, Dances with Wolves, American Psycho, The Shawshank Redemption, High Plains Drifter, Seven Samurai, The Cannonball Run...

...and so-on.

It used to be the first Iron Man for the longest time, but soon enough, Dr. Strange came around and I decided that it'd have to take the top spot.

Jesus H. Christ. Why can't I resist chiming in, regardless of how impossible this question is for a film buff?

This is like asking someone who your favorite person in the world is? It's evil, because people aren't like food, or colors, or pairs of jeans. It's nearly impossible to name one you cherish above every other. Mom, dad, grandma, sister, brother, best friend, lover? How do you even begin to seriously narrow that down?

I'm going to have to break it down by genre. Even then it's a good way to waste a few hours on a Sunday morning, because I'm going to have to really hammer this out.

Drama
Crash. A star studded drama from 2004. Most of you youngins have probably never seen it, but it's a very good film about some pretty heavy issues. A must-see for just about everyone. This movie just barely knocked I Am Legend out of the spot. I'm just a sucker for that movie, and Will Smith.

Crime Drama
The Departed. It narrowly beat out Goodfellas simply because of the great plot work and fantastic cast performances.

Mystery
The Prestige. If you haven't seen this film directed by Christopher Nolan, starring Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Michael Caine and Scarlet Johansson, this mysterious thriller will knock your socks straight off.

Science Fiction
Interstellar. Amazing film, one of the best to come out in this decade, hands down. The ending got a little crazy, but we've all seen worse. It just felt extreme on the ass end of such a solid, smart film that placed its roots so deeply in science.

Western
The Searchers. Directed by the legendary John Ford, starring John Wayne, Jeffrey Hunter and Natalie Wood, this film is a departure from the usual western material and narrowly knock out Tombstone.

War
Hacksaw Ridge. The true, unbelievable story of Desmond Doss, one of the greatest men to serve in WWII.

Comedy
Clue (The Movie). Chances are the majority of you have never seen this movie, but you really, really should. Tim Curry gives a fantastic performance in this hilarious big screen take on the classic board game.

Action
The Matrix. This was the hardest category of them all. Most action films inherently lack substance, but Matrix 1 is a classic of my generation and it revolutionized the genre in its time. It was a smart action film with layered themes and subtexts. I danced around this, considering amazing films like Kill Bill 1 and 2, The Bourne Identity and others, but I settled on one of the great action films of the 90s.

Thriller
The Box. If I thought hard enough about it, I could probably think of one I like more, but I wanted to give this movie a spot. It's one of those films that takes you on a journey as the plot progresses. Worth watching if you can handle bizarre plot twists and strange territory.

Horror
Night of the Living Dead (1968). Great film. One of the few zombie movies that does an amazing job of putting a real subtext underneath it all, because George understood the concept and reality of a zombie apocalypse. The undead are just an obstacle. Human nature is the real monster.

Have to give an honorable mention to Saw. The very first Saw was genius. The following franchise installments are a raging dumpster fire.

Slasher
Scream. Perhaps it's because I was 11 years old back in '96 when it came out, and it's part of my childhood experience, but I love Scream 1. It was one of the only good, innovative horror films to come out in the 90s. There wouldn't be another good horror until Saw was released 8 years later.

Fantasy
Final Fantasy: Advent Children. How do you pick just one Lord of the Rings and say Two Towers? It's not fair, so I fell back on Advent Children. I'm a huge FF fan and this film which served as a sequel to FF7 did not disappoint. Many people felt it did because the supporting characters weren't involved that much, but I really don't know what to tell them. FF7 was not a character-driven game like 6.

Super Hero
Man of Steel is the one comic adaptation worth actually seeing. Whilst most candy coat and streamline everything for a younger, virgin audience who have never read a comic book, Man of Steel does Superman and Zod justice. It will inspire you, give you thrills and chills, as well as punch you square in the feels. The films you're used to are carefully, meticulously crafted to manipulate your entire experience in a positive way from open to close. Man of Steel tells a real, layered story - which is so refreshing in this genre - and it doesn't compromise the source material in any way.

There are many fun action films in the genre, but MoS is the only good comic adaptation because it doesn't kneel down for a specific audience. Warner Bros stayed out of it and allowed it to be DC.

I have to mention The Watchmen as well. Arguably the most accurate adaptation, but not going to be for everyone.

Well damn. I actually finished this, and it only took all morning.

Last edited:
It will always be the original The Lion King movie along with its sequel.

Jurassic Park. Wanted to be a paleontologist as a kid; still kind of a dino nerd. Seen the original JP more times than I can count.

Other recommendations that I don't feel like writing out blurbs for: Donnie Darko, Phantom of the Paradise, The Shape of Water, Pan's Labyrinth, The Lobster, Isle of the Dogs, Coraline, Neon Demon, Tucker and Dale vs Evil, Perfect Blue, any Ghibli movie, It Follows, Green Room, Train to Busan, Raw, Creep, You're Next, The Evil Dead, In the Mouth of Madness, The Thing, Vvitch, Scream, Black Swan- I could go on

Ayyy, Train to Busan was pretty good. It's like they took World War Z (the movie) and, y'know, made it not bad.

I need to watch The Thing sometime, especially the one with Mary Elizabeth Winstead because she is bloody perfect. I've basically come to the conclusion is if she is in the film, then I'm mostly likely going to love it. Swiss Army Man (which was like a weird acid trip just without the acid), Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (which also had Metric, one of my favorite bands to listen to), hell, even Fargo. I've never been one for criminal dramas like the rest of my family (I'm more of a Cops person than, say, NCIS or Criminal Minds guy), but I've been loving it so far.

right now i'm reallllllllllllllllly into texas chainsaw massacre , texas chainsaw massacre 2, and the friday the 13th series!

Life of Brian
Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
The Thing (the original John Carpenter one)
Kung Pow
Pan's Labyrinth
To name a few
Edit: Out of all of these, Kung Pow is probably my favorite. I've watched it so many times I can basically quote any scene beat for beat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back