Chitchat What is the worst lie you tell/told yourself?

"Your 'issues' aren't real issues, it's all in your head; you're just being dramatic, and it's just making others feel bad for you when there's really nothing to worry about."

Still trying to get over the little voice that tells me this. It's a self-directed thought that happens like a habit anymore. I'm working hard against it.

Last edited:
Whenever someone does something bad towards me, I use it as a tool to justify the things I hate about myself. That's most likely where all the big lies comes from.

I always tell myself that I'm fine when I got something bugging me, then if I dwell on it it just eats at me. My method of breaking focus on it and getting rid of the worry is by working out or writing.

I’m not even sure if it’s a lie.

“The things you say to your friends to show your appreciation are actually way weirder than you think they are.”

The biggest lie I ever told myself was that If I was nice to everyone, it would turn out good for me in the end.
Things haven't been better for me ever since I became more ruthless.

" I'll do it later... "

Not really a huge lie, but the amount of times I actually believed that made it have an enourmous influence in my life so far.

That lie just never gets old for me, for some reason.

'I can cope with this.'

Ha, the fool I am.
I cannot cope and will break down mentally sometime later, and yet, I will continue to tell such a lie to myself. DX
Happened more than once lol.

"Watch YouTube now, do homework later."
Me on a daily basis: 1) starts homework 2) gets frustrated with homework 3) Thinks, "Let's take a short break now." 4) Starts scrolling through YT. 5) Clicks on a video and watches it. Tells self, "I will only watch one video." 6) One video becomes three, which becomes four, which becomes eight, which becomes three hours spent watching YT videos instead of doing homework.

"It wasn't me"

Another classic lie which I must say everyday, or some variation on it.

I told myself that humanity itself has certain characteristics. That women are this, men are this, etc.
Truth is, everyone is like Bertie Botts Every Flavor beans. We are all so different.

"You're not smart enough for [insert task/goal]." Then internalizing this without talking to someone else that has no bias is where things go down hill.
Ooh boy I've only been here for >12hrs and these threads are great.

"No, you didn't hurt my feelings when you agreed to go out with me and then told me to wait only to admit two hours later you had a girlfriend hahaha I haven't been pining for you for ten years hahaha yeah I'm fine..."

:T

"You can't fix something until you break it."

I used to use this as justification for breaking myself and to procrastinate on making a real effort to fix things. Needless to say, I could have saved myself a lot of trouble if I had focused on improvement and forgiven myself for all the stuff I did badly on :-_-lines:

"It's only a phase. You'll get over it when you have a partner." (Related to fic crushees, why I have started developing after an awful encounter with someone who I have considered a friend.)

"I am not different. I am like everyone else." (Related to my sexuality and gender.)

"You can not do it. Don't even try."

"You are a manipulating asshole, you just think he likes you. He hates you. You are the worst for him. You are an awful person." (Related to my partner. I tend to become somewhat manipulating as a coping mechanism. I manipulate to try to get my will. To get away from awful situation where I feel uncomfy. I have been far more manipulative years ago, but I can't seem to tone it down even more. I very often make my boyfriend apologize for something he didn't even do. It's an awful feeling, but my anxiety and manipualtive side tells me that he needs to apologize, unless I want my psyche to break down more. I rarely apologize. Even when I am wrong. This then resulted in me believing he doesn't genuinely loving me, fearing that he's only in a relationship with me because he doesn't want to break upwith me, fearing that I would break from it. My inner voice tells me that this isn't the case, in fact it was him who would break if we'd end the relationship)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back