Other What is the number one reason you stop replying to, or stop participating in roleplays?

I only once dropped an RP. I was always on edge about how she would react to my posts, because she always found something to get mad about what I wrote. So, being unsure in an RP.
Yeah that's a proper indication that you should drop it. You don't have to put up with abuse like that :c

Okay, I just found a new term I've never heard before. XD What's "oorp"? My brain instantly went to "out of character", but that's not right.

Honestly... if its not a lack of inspiration/writer's block at the time (because I have returned to RPs I'd dropped a year prior only to go "WOW, why the Hell didn't I respond to this?? this is wonderful!" //responds literally a year later to a dead RP), I realised this one thing where... when I'm about to write a response, I will delete everything in my partner's post that I'm unable to reflect on in my own response (such as introspection and needless description, especially descriptions of things that happened in the past) and GENERALLY.... that brings their otherwise paragraphs-long post down to a few sentences and it becomes extremely depressing to reply to. Because they think they've written a lot but I feel like I'm left with a set of bones in exchange for meat of my own.

After all, I don't want to write a tonne of my own introspection in reply. That's not the general point of roleplay except at places where it's interesting or crucial. I find its hard to find a 1x1 RP that builds on top of what the other person has written at a consistent rate. Not just in terms of basic plot but in solidifying the setting and the relationship dynamic. The RPs I find most interesting are when the characters or plot are unpredictable and I'm left guessing as to what will happen next, or the outcome is unique enough that I'm dying to explore it. If the progression to that point of interest is too slow or boring, I'll drop an RP before we can ever reach the grand moment. And I am usually swift to proclaim that that is my partner's fault, because I always try to keep things open-ended and interesting if possible. And if I can't, well that means the plot is just miserable in general, and my interest is probably already lost.

Moreover! Juicy interactions are hard to come by. Juicy interactions which help me further the plot with ideas of my own are even more scarce. I beg that people make more active attempts at opening up opportunities for your partner. That people learn to *accommodate* for their partner. As a stupid example, you can write "he walked into the room and sat down, quietly minding his own business" where your partner is expected to MAGICALLY somehow find an appropriate way for their character to initiate a reasonable interaction with yours, or you can write "he walked into the room and sat down, nervously keeping to himself. his backpack was hastily placed next to him, its zipper apparently undone and its contents threatening to spill out onto the ground any moment were he not to be alerted of it..." which incredibly gives your partner an easy point of interest to work with if they so choose to. It's really not that hard... it doesn't have to be done all the time, but if both partners contribute numerous points of interest like this, its literally so much easier and so much more interesting to carry a roleplay onwards, even through otherwise boring parts of an RP.

So yeah. TL;DR, If things simply aren't kept interesting in RP, I can hardly withstand it for very long. If my partner seems incapable of impressing or inspiring me, I drop off the face of the Earth with the excuse that League of Legends has me distracted, I will reply soon enough, and then entirely forget to respond altogether.

I think i've only ever dropped 2 RPs in my lifetime or writing. And both reasons were the same. Zero engagement. I will ALWAYS try my best to get an interaction going if it calls for it. I am pretty good at it. heck, there was a time when i was a teacher teaching a bunch of students (other RP'ers) and i practically became an actual teacher with coming up with assignments and stuff. That RP became the longest running RP i've ever done. I can't remember why it eventually died.

But yeah, if I try to initiate some time of interaction and my character or someone else's is just neglected it kills the pacing and then we have people that are stuck which is the first sign of the death of an RP altogether in my time writing. Those two RPs i've dropped shortly died right afterwards for that same reason. They didn't even go on for a few other post because once a character gets left that person stops writing. then it's a domino effect.

There have been quite a few RPs I've joined here that die either before the story starts or within the first page of posts. And that's probably most of the RPs I've joined. The concept sounds really good. I make a character sheet, and then the GM disappears. And this happens so much I got pretty frustrated on this site and went to my old one again (which is almost dead due to lack of users, unfortunately). I haven't ever done a 1x1 because I work and don't have the time I'd like to give doing it with someone. Also, most 1x1s are romances and I don't really do that genre. One of the few I haven't touched.

I'll probably give it another try at finding new RPs since it's been a year. But then again I've been writing a novel (it was showcased in the site's newsletter a few months ago) that I'm enjoying and at the moment it'd be a little hard to mix that, and RP or two, AND my irl duties. But it was fun writing with others. mayhaps I'll try again

Usually there’s a fire, electrical tape, and something sharp involved. I always give it a second chance but I find there’s always something burning or sticky. And if you run with it it’s gonna poke someone’s eye out

When my partner has absolutely no agency about them whatsoever. I don't mind people who like to follow along in a story but I mean people who just can make no decisions whatsoever. For example, if we are at a crossroads and I have my character express the fact that they don't know which way they should go and I ask my partner instead a simple direction left or right and their answer is "where ever you wanna go" it's like they're there simply to observe and not take part and when they do participate it's like the most basic of simple responses like "sure" "yeah" or "that sounds good" I literally have to move the plot along by talking and fighting with myself it makes me feel like they don't actually want to RP with me because I basically end up RPing by myself and if I wanted to RP by myself I'd have written a solo. So I leave because I'm not having fun essentially talking to myself.

When I’m no longer having fun. I’m roleplaying to enjoy it, so what’s the point if I have no motivation to reply to the roleplay because it’s not interesting any longer? I’ve certainly had RPs where I was invested and dedicated to it all the way through, but if I get bored or have to treat writing the reply like homework, that’s where I drop it.

When I’m no longer having fun. I’m roleplaying to enjoy it, so what’s the point if I have no motivation to reply to the roleplay because it’s not interesting any longer? I’ve certainly had RPs where I was invested and dedicated to it all the way through, but if I get bored or have to treat writing the reply like homework, that’s where I drop it.
but isn't that, like, writing in general? it won't always be super fun because there will come parts that will be slow. like when i'm writing novels and have to either set up a scenario for a scene to happen or exposition. i hate writing them but i know it's inevitable. and it's normally only for a post or two. but then again i'm primarily a sci-fi writer so i'm used to having to do that. i don't know how it is for others that are outside of sci-fi or mystery.

So, a bit on my viewpoint:

I really, really don't entertain the notion of just dropping out of conversations unexpectedly, and I prefer open lines of communication between partners. Don't vibe? Great, tell them. Not meeting your standards? Tell them. (In a nice way, of course!) I think people also have to remember that a partnership is exactly that: a partnership. Your opinions might be the thing to help them and yourself evolve as a writer. (Of course, they might tell you to get lost, but atleast you did your part by trying to talk about the situation.) That being said: life happens! Are you busy? Did you bite more than you can chew? It's okay. When you have time, send them a quick message.

I haven't left a conversation without discussion, but here are a few things that made me put the breaks on a rp.
1) Lack of equality. Either I'm the only one doing the plotting, or they're the ones "in charge" of the plot. I don't appreciate that. Our 1x1 is supposed to be a cohesion between our two perspectives. I'd prefer for the other to do some plotting as well, and I enjoy being included and active in our worldbuilding.
2) Vibing. Homies, I get it when you say that you really don't vibe with a person. Usually, rudeness is my big no-no, but I've declined offers from people who are too constrictive for me to feel comfortable.
3) Writing styles. Now, I don't mind lapses in grammar or spelling, considering that some of the people I rp with are writing in their second, third, or fourth language. But if I'm giving 110% into my characterization and responses, and I barely get some depth from you, then I'm less likely to be intrigued and immersed.

but isn't that, like, writing in general? it won't always be super fun because there will come parts that will be slow. like when i'm writing novels and have to either set up a scenario for a scene to happen or exposition. i hate writing them but i know it's inevitable. and it's normally only for a post or two. but then again i'm primarily a sci-fi writer so i'm used to having to do that. i don't know how it is for others that are outside of sci-fi or mystery.

This is very true, and I’ve certainly had moments in a lot of RPs that are slow. Sometimes “getting to the fun part” takes a bit of work and some writing that isn’t really fun. Personally I roleplay a lot more than writing on my own, so it may be different. But this is a good point and I don’t drop a RP immediately when it starts to get slow.

Now that I'm older and not turned to an anxiety riddled mess when I don't want to continue an RP, I don't ever ghost/randomly stop replying/stop participating point blank. It always has a message accompanying it with a polite listing of reasons why I'm no longer interested at the very least (and sometimes, if it's a fixable problem, we can work it out in OOC and carry on).

That said... I do have a #1 reason for no longer wanting to continue:

Unequal Distribution of Labour
I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned before, but if I'm having to set up ALL the interactions and my partner is simply replying to my work and giving me nothing to build on (so essentially I'm writing the story all by myself) then it just isn't going to work. Boring plots can be fixed, I exchange writing samples before starting so I always know if our styles are going to work out, I'm not super fussed about grammar/spelling if the content is good, and I usually know if we're going to vibe well from the first few OOC messages. This is the only thing that can super make or break it for me, because it's usually something that is habitual and standard for that RPer and not something easily fixable.

I only once dropped an RP. I was always on edge about how she would react to my posts, because she always found something to get mad about what I wrote. So, being unsure in an RP.

I once had a person who always contacted me OOC after my posts and complained about what my character did. :/ I just told him I didn't want to RP with him because of it, and he kept arguing with me.... "No, you can't leave because blah blah blah" and it was like... I can and I will.

Luckily I've RPed long enough to know that it's not my problem if someone else is an ass.

So, a bit on my viewpoint:

I really, really don't entertain the notion of just dropping out of conversations unexpectedly, and I prefer open lines of communication between partners. Don't vibe? Great, tell them. Not meeting your standards? Tell them. (In a nice way, of course!) I think people also have to remember that a partnership is exactly that: a partnership. Your opinions might be the thing to help them and yourself evolve as a writer. (Of course, they might tell you to get lost, but atleast you did your part by trying to talk about the situation.) That being said: life happens! Are you busy? Did you bite more than you can chew? It's okay. When you have time, send them a quick message.

So my issue with this is communication must be paired with experience. And for a lot of newbies the very real fear that their partner could turn toxic if they leave prevents them from communicating. It isn’t always just selfishness or lack of compromise. I have met plenty of toxic people on this site and others. People that do not take the ending of a roleplay well and use it as an excuse to be hateful.

And I am blessedly old and experienced enough to tell those people to shove it. But as a newbie they would send me into literal tears. And that’s I think a legitimate fear the more timid role players have.

My thought is as a self confident role player it’s my job to make things easier for them by letting them know it’s no big deal. If you leave a roleplay without putting yourself at risk of dealing with toxic people it’s okay. Your not bad or selfish or whatever.

If you have it in you to communicate without it ruining your day or your roleplay experience by all means do so. But if you can’t it’s not the end of the world.

- and back on topic if your in a conversation with someone that is making you miserable walk away. It isn’t worth it to give toxic people the power to ruin your day. I will absolutely just block people who are toxic in PMs or even on forums. I don’t give warnings or second chances. If your gonna act an ass you can amuse yourself elsewhere.

when i look for a rp partner, i specify that i dont want a roleplay where we send eachother line one or two lines back and forth, im looking for something descriptive. its kinda upsetting when i get a message and someone tells me they agree to all my 'rules' but once the roleplay starts, they literally send a one line response. this has happened to me sooo many times. or i dont continue if someone creates a character that is literally flawless and magically good at everything (mary/gary sues)

I don't ever just drop off, I always let the person know if we've started the RP that I'm not feeling it anymore and most times I boil it down to not compatible writing styles. A lot of RPers don't give the amount of detail in responses that I appreciate or enjoy. I also have dropped out when theres been too much detail about worlds that I feel I need to keep track of and it's a lot of mental strain.

Sometimes it's because I burn out or don't have the time or energy to RP
Other times it's because the person isn't putting as much effort into the RP as I am and it makes me feel like it's pointless to make good posts if they don't make them themselves.
A good way to avoid being burnt out is good OOC communication, personally

I don't just drop out I do inform them first but I consider that to be OOC talk and therefore not replying to the RP. So I have stopped replying to the RP but not necessarily to them.

When my partner has absolutely no agency about them whatsoever. I don't mind people who like to follow along in a story but I mean people who just can make no decisions whatsoever. For example, if we are at a crossroads and I have my character express the fact that they don't know which way they should go and I ask my partner instead a simple direction left or right and their answer is "where ever you wanna go" it's like they're there simply to observe and not take part and when they do participate it's like the most basic of simple responses like "sure" "yeah" or "that sounds good" I literally have to move the plot along by talking and fighting with myself it makes me feel like they don't actually want to RP with me because I basically end up RPing by myself and if I wanted to RP by myself I'd have written a solo. So I leave because I'm not having fun essentially talking to myself.

My god, this...

Somewhat of a similar example, I tend to run more action-packed roleplays ~ be it sci-fi, fantasy, historical and so on. Now, I can be a bit dominant with my characters as I enjoy leading the group because I really struggle to tolerate incompetent characters IC & OOC. Thus this one time that has utterly killed my interest in Mech-based roleplays really pushed my patience to the limit.

Long story short, it was a 1-2-1 with someone I had very little experience with in the past. I already was feeling a little uneasy with this character because of all the weeb/Japanese themes they kept throwing in for god know's what reason ~ I.e, doing some weird martial art gesture whilst bowing honourably to the enemy before fighting.. I mean, this Sci-Fi Mech idea of mine was on a fictional mineral rich planet set in the 23rd century... not Feudal Japan!? Anyhow, I quickly discovered that things really weren't well with this person and I felt more and more fed-up with the entire conversation as it dragged on.

It got to the point where I would write, trying to accomplish a moment where we'd be at a serious disadvantage and would have to give ground in order to regroup / come up with a new strategy to over-come this new foe or situation. However, each new enemy I introduced was quickly destroyed in my partner's post and then'd give some really vague ending about "Waiting to see what comes next". I rather felt more of a conveyor belt of NPC's for them to smash to pieces than accomplishing anything myself.

Although I ended the roleplay abruptly, stating my interest was no longer there, I can certainly say that it's taught me alot about seeking partners that can give just as well as receive. May sound silly to most but a 1-2-1 is a two way street and not everyone seems to be on the same page ~ unfortunately.

If I feel I'm the only one bringing effort to the table during the plotting phase or even at the start of the first post. Like the first post tells me nothing about my partner's character or the setting or I'm not given a good grasp of anything going on other than the person seems not to want to write this roleplay at all I won't bother going forward.

I usually stop whenever there's too much drama going on. Like, there's a difference between the plot advancing in a trial situation vs "character's dog died, brother is kidnapped, no one likes them, character gets hurt in car accident, parents start going into drugs and abusing them-" Just- just way too much for someone to react to. It becomes less of an adventurous story of emotion and turns into a therapist session, desperately trying to help them.

I usually stop whenever there's too much drama going on. Like, there's a difference between the plot advancing in a trial situation vs "character's dog died, brother is kidnapped, no one likes them, character gets hurt in car accident, parents start going into drugs and abusing them-" Just- just way too much for someone to react to. It becomes less of an adventurous story of emotion and turns into a therapist session, desperately trying to help them.
My life in one chunk of text, nice.

I feel really bad, because I'm debating if I can even stay in a current group RP I'm in. I love the concept, and everyone is super nice. But the posting is a bit too fast me, and my schedule as of lately is hectic. I'm basically unable to RP for a good week, and I'm scared I'm gonna miss SO much by then.

One of many reasons I only do 1x1 RPs. Groups never worked for me and keeping up so not to hold up others is one of the top reasons I tend to not try them again.

My number one belief is that a roleplay is pointless if both people aren't having fun. If it's a RP I've only done a short time ending it is easy. I've had a couple of very long term RPs get to be a chore. I will plow through for awhile thinking it's just a slow period to get through someone's plot area and then it will pick up. Then, usually after mentioning a few times I'm not enjoying it and it not improving, my brain just refuses to care at all and no amount of staring at the screen comes u with a reply. And while I feel bad ending those ones part of me also feels stupid when I look at how long it's been since I actually had real fun with them.

The last couple like that were the person seemed to get weird both OOC and decided to try a linear plot with disregard for character personality. The other the person just got way to into their character having PTSD to the point they might as well have written the story themselves. Because they flat out shut down everything for my main characters to do to keep having their character freak out/shut down in 'realistic' nervous breakdown wanting a side character to comfort him while being emotionally abused by his PTSD.

other times i feel that my partner puts no efforts toward actually moving the plot along, or doesn't contribute anything worthwhile in their responses, leaving me to pull all of the emotional labor. it's hard work writing a story with a brick wall!

i having this problem myself. strangely one seems to have a name for this term, i'm calling it NPC'ing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back