Other What is the number one reason you stop replying to, or stop participating in roleplays?

Three reasons:

If the OOC is a complete dogs breakfast of memes and cancer, I'll probably unwatch the RP and try my best to forget it exists.

This is more my fault, but taking on too many rps to fit the budget. I'm a dude with a lot of rp itches I want to scratch. Unfortunately, between work, uni, and real life, I don't get to scratch all those itches. I'll usually have to drop some even if I don't want cause I don't have time for them all.

If the rp is fricken dead. No one's posting. Everyone's stuck in waiting traffic jams. The GM posts sporadically or vanishes as if they were swallowed by Cthulu. That's the kind of stuff that makes me forget a RP even exists.

honestly, the main reason i drop rps is when i'm the only one dragging the plot along. sadly, it's happened a few time before :'') i'll be like 'oh, how about the character do that? what if that happened? how about we do this??' and my partner is just like 'k then'
like?? it's really disappointing when my rp partner doesn't work with me! i'm glad when they give suggestions or ideas, instead of making me do the work.

honestly, the main reason i drop rps is when i'm the only one dragging the plot along. sadly, it's happened a few time before :'') i'll be like 'oh, how about the character do that? what if that happened? how about we do this??' and my partner is just like 'k then'
like?? it's really disappointing when my rp partner doesn't work with me! i'm glad when they give suggestions or ideas, instead of making me do the work.
For sure! When your partner isn't as excited for the RP as you are it can really be a bummer... I've had my fair share of these experiences and it's just like "C'mon! show some umph! We're making a piece of awesome story here" haha :P

I tend to drop roleplays very quickly if I find that my partner and I are just not a good match. Not to say that they were good or bad as a writer or roleplayer, but many times we just don't click no matter how long we go, at least roleplay wise. So most of my ex-partners are people that I legitimately could not get into a good roleplay vibe with them. Whether it is because we were obviously looking for different things or because of different writing styles, that is why I step away most of the time.

Lost interest

or

Have no time to properly dedicate to the RP and it would be unfair to my partner to leave them hanging.

I always reply! People need to have the curtesy to at least tell you that something has come up or that they will reply within the following week! Iโ€™ve been waiting on people for nearly a week or so and still not one reply from people! Sorry for my angery rant just now.

Oh I know this feeling too well.

If I wanted to RP alone, I would just write a novel, sheesh.

Super fast posting speeds for big group RPs...I guess I join with the expectation that a group RP will be a bit slow, but I look away for a few hours and they're just a bunch of new replies! That type of speed for me is only good in 1x1s because I'm reacting to one person only. When it's like...seven different people posting too fast, I get overwhelmed. Especially if I cannot post for a day or two.

Super fast posting speeds for big group RPs...I guess I join with the expectation that a group RP will be a bit slow, but I look away for a few hours and they're just a bunch of new replies! That type of speed for me is only good in 1x1s because I'm reacting to one person only. When it's like...seven different people posting too fast, I get overwhelmed. Especially if I cannot post for a day or two.
Makes sense I find it helpful if the GM soft-enforces a location description at the top. Makes it easier to sift through everything - almost got too overwhelmed in one of those RP's recently; luckily I found a couple people who caught me up to speed :)

Makes sense I find it helpful if the GM soft-enforces a location description at the top. Makes it easier to sift through everything - almost got too overwhelmed in one of those RP's recently; luckily I found a couple people who caught me up to speed :)
I feel really bad, because I'm debating if I can even stay in a current group RP I'm in. I love the concept, and everyone is super nice. But the posting is a bit too fast me, and my schedule as of lately is hectic. I'm basically unable to RP for a good week, and I'm scared I'm gonna miss SO much by then.

I feel really bad, because I'm debating if I can even stay in a current group RP I'm in. I love the concept, and everyone is super nice. But the posting is a bit too fast me, and my schedule as of lately is hectic. I'm basically unable to RP for a good week, and I'm scared I'm gonna miss SO much by then.
Talk to your RP-mates and see if anyone would be willing to catch you up. You could make a character that tags along with someone else to make it easy to jump in at any time :)

I like to give people a chance when they read my request thread rules that they'll bring to the table what I'm looking for out of a partner and also I'm who they might possibly looking for in a partner. I don't like badgering people. If you say you can do something such as write five paragraphs I will believe you.

Now when we get down to writing and you do a paragraph or start complaining to me about how much I'm writing, after you were warned in my request thread and could see a sample of my writing, I'm going to stop. That's one reason. Another, I don't like being pestered to reply every day several times a day it kills my creativity. Almost feels forced as if I have nothing else in my life to do other than roleplay.

I like to give people a chance when they read my request thread rules that they'll bring to the table what I'm looking for out of a partner and also I'm who they might possibly looking for in a partner. I don't like badgering people. If you say you can do something such as write five paragraphs I will believe you.

Now when we get down to writing and you do a paragraph or start complaining to me about how much I'm writing, after you were warned in my request thread and could see a sample of my writing, I'm going to stop. That's one reason. Another, I don't like being pestered to reply every day several times a day it kills my creativity. Almost feels forced as if I have nothing else in my life to do other than roleplay.
Makes sense, personally kills my creativity when people only post once a week. So makes sense, everyone has their own way of building up that spark of creativity.

If the plot isnโ€™t thought out, this is group and 1x1 roleplays. I love it when the plot develops with the relationships the characters form but that can only go on for so long. If the rp hasnt got a basic structure or plot, it will all fall apart

Makes sense, personally kills my creativity when people only post once a week. So makes sense, everyone has their own way of building up that spark of creativity.

I think their point was more that it is incredibly rude to bombard someone's inbox with responses when they're clearly busy/away.

If you ask once for a reply that's fine. If you ask again the next day, sure not a huge deal.

If you have sent them ten responses in the span of five minutes all demanding to know when you will get a response to the reply you just sent. That's when it becomes a problem.

It's just a simple matter of courtesy. Maybe they're asleep, maybe they're at work, heck maybe they're in the bathroom and can't be available to respond right this very second.

For me, it's usually a problem with characters. If characters don't seem to mesh well, or if they constantly try to make theirs the center of attention, I tend to lose interest faster than The Flash can run. xP But luckily that doesn't happen too often.

Also, if someone seems blunt/hard to talk to, that makes me more reluctant to respond too. ^^;

For me, it's usually a problem with characters. If characters don't seem to mesh well, or if they constantly trying to make theirs the center of attention, I tend to lose interest faster than The Flash can run. xP But luckily that doesn't happen too often.

Also, if someone seems very blunt/harder to talk to, that makes me more reluctant to respond too. ^^;
I actually am one of the more blunt people I would say, on this site. It's not necessarily a bad thing most the time you can talk to these people without fear of judgement contrary to the initial expectation. People who are blunt tend to respond well to open thoughts and unrestricted communication. Very rare to find but I've found these people are capable of the most genuine responses/relationships.

I actually am one of the more blunt people I would say, on this site. It's not necessarily a bad thing most the time you can talk to these people without fear of judgement contrary to the initial expectation. People who are blunt tend to respond well to open thoughts and unrestricted communication. Very rare to find but I've found these people are capable of the most genuine responses/relationships.
Oh! I guess blunt wasn't the right word, but rather... rude? ^^; I've just met some who are super demanding and inflexible/unwilling to negotiate, and so I kinda get intimidated and put off by them lol.

I was thinking about writing this in a list format but like every single time I wrote a reason why it would just go back to my main thought.
It just isn't fun.
It can be applied in a bunch of ways but my rule about rp is to have fun. If I'm anxious or upset about a rp for all the wrong reasons I'm not going to keep putting myself through it because I made a character sheet.

- oorp drama. I don't want my rp community to be toxic.
- Cliques. It's cool if you know people. Just don't ignore other people in or out of the rp
-
First person.
- Too many sues. If the admin isn't doing anything, I'm not going to do anything either.
- Romance. It's cool if your character gets a date, good on you. Its when you only rp with the person your character is romantically involved with that it becomes frustrating. And when it happens right off the bat.
- I liked the summary, but I didn't like the lore.
- Emotional Safety. I know exactly what I am comfortable with playing and seeing in a rp. If my boundaries are over stepped I'm not going to stick around. And badly portrayed mental illness.
- Unkind people oorp.
- I don't get to play a character I enjoy. I know what characters I enjoy playing. And no, I don't play the same character over and over again. I just don't want to play certain types

I was thinking about writing this in a list format but like every single time I wrote a reason why it would just go back to my main thought.
It just isn't fun.
It can be applied in a bunch of ways but my rule about rp is to have fun. If I'm anxious or upset about a rp for all the wrong reasons I'm not going to keep putting myself through it because I made a character sheet.

- oorp drama. I don't want my rp community to be toxic.
- Cliques. It's cool if you know people. Just don't ignore other people in or out of the rp
-
First person.
- Too many sues. If the admin isn't doing anything, I'm not going to do anything either.
- Romance. It's cool if your character gets a date, good on you. Its when you only rp with the person your character is romantically involved with that it becomes frustrating. And when it happens right off the bat.
- I liked the summary, but I didn't like the lore.
- Emotional Safety. I know exactly what I am comfortable with playing and seeing in a rp. If my boundaries are over stepped I'm not going to stick around. And badly portrayed mental illness.
- Unkind people oorp.
- I don't get to play a character I enjoy. I know what characters I enjoy playing. And no, I don't play the same character over and over again. I just don't want to play certain types
Very respectable reasons - also! Hello again lol

There Are only 4 Reasons why I ever dropped an RP:
1) actual Real life Reasons rendering me unable to write
2) my partner's character developing into such a horrible Mary Sue that all I wanted to do was strangle them
3) finding out that despite one good post they repeatedly gave me 3liners with horrible grammar
4) they unexpectedly tried to enforce romance/sex

Btw Id really love to know why Ppl dropped me. I Always think about it for Ages. Too bad Ill never get to know!

Btw Id really love to know why Ppl dropped me. I Always think about it for Ages. Too bad Ill never get to know!
This thread was made to be kind of a cureall into those kinds of questions. I figure with enough responses and a healthy place to talk general patterns and reasons will start to become apparent.

I only once dropped an RP. I was always on edge about how she would react to my posts, because she always found something to get mad about what I wrote. So, being unsure in an RP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back