Experiences What is the Most Frustrating RP you have ever been apart of?

I wouldn't exactly say this belongs here but now that I'm thinking about it I remember someone naming their gay character Sodom.

Their gay character.

Sodom.

Let that sink in.

What the FUCK

Just today I was in a really horrible RP experience.

So, I decided after a long hiatus on the Harry Potter Amino app that I should get back into roleplaying on there because of my long inactivity. I was lucky enough to be invited to over 3 at once for whatever reason, it was quite crazy, but I only fell through with one.
This was my first time ever being in an RP this big, this group chat consisted over at least 50 members and about 18 of them were active in this chat. This group chat began to fall apart at the seems as soon as we had started.
You had characters befriending certain characters on the Hogwarts Express and talking to another over other peoples conversations, it was just such a mess and really hard to follow with what was being said by who.
The GM had the nerve to say "Just read over the messages." and I got really annoyed because to read through so many messages just to find one response that your 'chosen buddy' had said was INCONVENIENT AS HELL!
Honestly, the GM probably didn't expect the RP to go so badly, but none of the characters were really interacting with each other, it was more of a 1x1 RP cluster with multiple people.
Talk about a headache!

I haven't any frustrating stories to the point where I'm pulling out hair, but there are a couple that I remember. When I first starting roleplaying, I joined a guild for a particular fandom with my very first OC. I was proud of her despite the fact that she was a total Mary Sue character in the sense that she was the long lost relative of a canon character. I've learned from my sins, I promise. But either way, I was stoked to play her and develop her story with other people who liked the same fandom. I was one of two OC characters in the roleplay, the other being a villain. Although we posted pretty frequently, it felt like we had to fight for out characters to be acknowledged by the others. When they finally started to acknowledge us, it was because the person playing the primary villain had just left.

Fast forward to another roleplay of the same fandom by the same person who roleplayed the main character. I still had the same OC and was excited once more to use her again. Even though she was a somewhat important character, it was still a struggle to be acknowledged by the others. I eventually felt unwanted and left for good. I don't ask everyone to automatically stop what they're doing and praise my character, but an iota of acknowledgement is better than none at all.

This was on a whole other site, but I had created a post-apocalyptic RP that is set around 500 years in the future after a particular city was nuked. It was all going well, there was a good balance of humor, edge, all that good stuff.
Then someone put in their character sheet (keep in mind the forum didn't allow you to post photos you didn't own)
So yeah. This guy. Their character.
Their character description was literally: dark hair crutch
I shit you not, it was no more, no less, it was legit just 'dark hair crutch'.
I was so baffled by the sheer laziness of that. What am I supposed to make of it? Dark hair? Crutch? Does the crutch have dark hair? Is... What?
I was so traumatized by it that I'm still shaken to this day. A slew of other lazy characters came in after and just shut down the entire RP because it was starting to become romance-oriented but I truly think that 'dark hair crutch' facilitated the downfall of the RP.

Aw geez I still internally rage when I think back to the first time I ever had a huge involvement in a group roleplay I joined.

I tried really hard to forgive this specific roleplayer, but I've lost all respect for them :/ She literally stopped an entire group roleplay just so that she could have a smutty BDSM rp in the PMs with the two most important female characters that were leading it. Even worse, one of the female characters was actually my male character's love interest, and the roleplayer would actually PM me to rub it in my face, even sending me snippets of the roleplay even though I didn't want to see it.

Fun fact: I was actually supposed to be a part of these PMs for story reasons but because my character was male she would "forget" to add me in. When I learned of the sexual nature of the private roleplay, I was glad I was never invited.

In the end it got so bad that one of the roleplayers just decimated her character so that we could continue on with our group roleplay because she seemed to refuse to come to a freaking compromise. What resulted was her screaming in FULL CAPS at us on our roleplaying thread while we were trying to pick up the pieces and move on (And NOT the OOC thread) because we killed off her character and didn't want to continue her creepy fetish roleplay.

That... literally killed the roleplay, and nobody was in the mood to continue it anymore. I remember messaging my frustration to this particular roleplayer and she just told me she was cutting herself because of me and *insert angsty teen blah*.

So... yup.

i was once part of a RP on FB that included a girl who created characters that made no sense, and who constantly stole plot ideas. For example, say one character fell pregnant, she'd almost immediately announce that her character was pregnant. Then the original would be expecting triplets - guess who else was expecting...
She was also so inconsistent it was painful. She'd disrupt timelines or have her OCs do things even though she specifically stated they couldn't do said things...

God, I hated that RP.

I was once co-admin of an RP, and it started GREAT; we had a well-planned plot, characters, etc. The other admin suddenly decided to add some OP'd Garry/Mary-Sues that messed with the plot mid-rp, however, and it threw me for a whim, resulting in poor administrator communication. The RP ended up dying because I was unable to think of responses to posts with the sudden changes the other mod made to the setting, antagonists, etc. I felt like the only admin with the other admin being like a normal roleplayer that couldn't be limited by rules.

Every roleplay. The constant stress and feelings of inadequate ability due to being young to the scene, along with a limited vocabulary and second language understanding makes experiences fun, if nerve racking. I feel like people often forget what it's like to be surrounded by superiors, and getting a bit of guff every now and then for being not so great does pull me down. Still, the constructive criticism and joy of creating a story makes it all worth it.

I luckily haven't had many frustrating moments but there was this one time. It was my own roleplay and it was quite a small group, we we're all getting ready to roleplay just polishing characters up when this one person randomly posted their character and i swear it was the definition of a mary sue. First off I get annoyed when people don't reserve a spot in the first place, never mind someone whom i'd never even seen before. But then they started to call me all sorts of things after I asked them to leave and still refused to leave. And then started to lie to everyone about what I said but I think they forgot that private messages ain't gonna stay quite when you're being called a liar.

Phew, praying nothing like that drama will happen on here. lmao
but also reading through these posts makes me feel better about my rp life <3

Every roleplay. The constant stress and feelings of inadequate ability due to being young to the scene, along with a limited vocabulary and second language understanding makes experiences fun, if nerve racking. I feel like people often forget what it's like to be surrounded by superiors, and getting a bit of guff every now and then for being not so great does pull me down. Still, the constructive criticism and joy of creating a story makes it all worth it.

^ Real talk. I like this guy.

-----

My most frustrating RPs have been groups with enough player characters to rival the entire main cast of Game of Thrones. For a novel or book series, that's not so bad; but for an RP of clashing egos, where every player is (naturally) competing for their Gary/Mary-Sue to be the "main character", it becomes frustrating.

From now on, when I do groups, I keep it tight and simple.

there was a handful of private rps I did on another site. The guy I did them with made self inserts. It didn't start too bad he made well written posts and was nice enough in the ooc. Then just ugh .... it started to slowly and surely to become more and more about his specific fetishes. It was never like outright perverse or anything but it would just be so frustrating. I'd be having a good time making a well thought out roleplay or working on character interaction -- and all of a sudden he'd be like yeah could you make this fetishized female for my "character" to "flirt" with

One where I was the only one thinking of plot twists, locations, pretty much everything while my partner offered nothing up in return. Frustration does not begin to describe how I felt at the time.

Where I used to roleplay..there were a lot of people who got on my nerves heheh..The most frustrating roleplay I've ever been apart of has to be a fantasy one. I made my character grow up to be a mature warrior, I'm into a lot of character development, so I tried making her like a realistic person would be. People can sometimes get effected by the past, which was clearly shown in mine since she did have a dark time as a child. But she wouldn't let it get to her. My partner was just..bad at playing their role. Of course they had to make their back story devastating, and be extremely OP. Surrounded by 10 soldiers attacking a kid, boom killed all of them without getting a scratch. At least I made my character get damaged if she had to take on multiple people. What I'm saying is that, sometimes role-players need to be realistic and face the facts that your character can't be perfect.

One of my old rp partners had this tendency to give all her characters the exact same backgrounds. There's a limit to how many tall men with dark hair and dead boyfriends they're still crying themselves to sleep over every night that I can handle. Like come on, give my chars some space to talk about their pasts as well, without getting all OK BUT MY BF KILLED HIMSELF 10 YEARS AGO

This is strangely enjoyable to read through.

Anyway, my worst experience was kinda my fault. It was a few years ago, I was probably about 11. It was on this app that was focused on pets but for some reason there were a lots of roleplays on it? Let's get this straight real quick, I regret everything. Literally everything. But that's not the point of this.

The point is that, like I said, the app was one about pets that was obviously targeted at kids (it was called Pet Next Door, if I recall). The role plays I was a part of were full of people my age. Therefore, there was no one to complain about Mary Sues and OPs. We were just kids having fun together, and honestly it was pretty literate and the characters, while two dimensional, were better than some things I've seen even on websites like this. It was great, the highlight of my day if I remember.

Then a new member joined up. They were obviously older than everyone else, they had to be in their mid teens. They were a good writer, and great at making characters, and they knew it. They didn't belong there. Suddenly there was this strange, condensing figure joining every role play and pointing out every. Single. Mistake. And anything that could even remotely resemble a Mary Sue. They thought they were doing us a favour, but they weren't. We were fine with our community of twelve year olds learning how to write at their own pace. I left pretty soon after they arrived.

So this time it was actually the good writer who ruined it for the twelve year olds. Who would have thought. Moral of the story: stay in the community that matches your writing ability.

Livson Livson very true. So many problems on this site specifically I think would be solved by just remembering - not everyone is at the same writing ability and just letting people go at their own pace. Not to say you shouldn't shoot for the moon but like there is a difference between people wanting to improve and people being content with their current level. Not everyone wants to be lectured about how they can do things better.

Or talked down to because they don't meet some arbitrary standard some elitist has concocted for themselves. Now I think about it that was the most frustrating thing about my old site. Well that and a lot of smut, but that was less like people being deliberately obnoxious and just there were a lot of roleplays I wasn't comfortable joining because of all the sexy times in them.

But yeah that site had a chronic problem with people "improving" others writing ability by placing unrealistic or super arbitrary expectations on what entailed "good roleplaying" and then just beating down anyone who didn't match up to their specific definition of that.

Like I would see at least one roleplay a page where if you didn't write at LEAST five paragraphs per a post you were just considered basically illiterate. Or if you couldn't make your posts as pretty as everyone else's or whatever the arbitrary standards of that particular roleplay was.

And like there is a difference between being like - hey I like to see some details in your characters okay? maybe a little bit more than a paragraph to describe their backstory. versus - oh yeah your going to make a thread in this specific sub forum that will have like seven posts each with enough content to fill a small book - all about this character that i may or may not even except depending on how much i like their face claim.

Well. Usually I let people know if something's frustrating me in an RP, but if it's something that's not going to change, such as style, lack of a three-dimensional character, lack of attention to detail, I just say "thanks, bye" and move on to a better RP.

Livson Livson very true. So many problems on this site specifically I think would be solved by just remembering - not everyone is at the same writing ability and just letting people go at their own pace. Not to say you shouldn't shoot for the moon but like there is a difference between people wanting to improve and people being content with their current level. Not everyone wants to be lectured about how they can do things better.

Or talked down to because they don't meet some arbitrary standard some elitist has concocted for themselves. Now I think about it that was the most frustrating thing about my old site. Well that and a lot of smut, but that was less like people being deliberately obnoxious and just there were a lot of roleplays I wasn't comfortable joining because of all the sexy times in them.

But yeah that site had a chronic problem with people "improving" others writing ability by placing unrealistic or super arbitrary expectations on what entailed "good roleplaying" and then just beating down anyone who didn't match up to their specific definition of that.

Like I would see at least one roleplay a page where if you didn't write at LEAST five paragraphs per a post you were just considered basically illiterate. Or if you couldn't make your posts as pretty as everyone else's or whatever the arbitrary standards of that particular roleplay was.

And like there is a difference between being like - hey I like to see some details in your characters okay? maybe a little bit more than a paragraph to describe their backstory. versus - oh yeah your going to make a thread in this specific sub forum that will have like seven posts each with enough content to fill a small book - all about this character that i may or may not even except depending on how much i like their face claim.

I totally get what you mean. Not everyone's at the same level, it's not the end of the world. And even if they are, not everyone has the same writing style. For example, I know people who can bust out a completely thrilling and entertaining post that's no more than a paragraph. Quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality.

I mean, I can understand that a very detailed and serious role play that is mainly focused on improving a writers ability could have a larger limit. That's fine. The problem comes about when those who can spit out an essay for a single post start looking down on people who can't, or the people who can't begin to insert themselves where that sort of skill is needed.

Like you said, it's all good to 'shoot for the moon' and try to improve and challenge yourself, but not at the expense of others. If a one-liner writer joins a retailer role play, they should very well be prepared to step up to the writing criteria immediately or else practice more until they can. But it goes the opposite way too, no one wants to see a 10 paragraph post in the middle of single paragraphs.

Some role plays have a five paragraph limit. Some have one. Some are perfectly content with everyone popping out a one liner. And that's fine. As long as the writers know how to distinguish how detailed the role play is and stick to it, then there shouldn't be a problem. Why can't some people understand and do that?

(Also, your old site sounds terrifying. I probably wouldn't survive there for more than a day. Respect.)

Honestly I think the most frustrating thing is trying to find a good partner. Very few people respond (not only here) and most people who place rp ads seem to want other things than I do. And if I finally find somebody they often dissapear suddenly without saying anything. (Not a big loss in that case; if they don't have basic social skills they probably would not make good roleplaying partners.)
The roleplay I'm in is fun so I'm not desperately looking. But another one would be nice.

One of the most frustrating ones I was in seemed like it would have started off really well. We were both posting multiple paragraphs, characters were well fleshed out, had good interactions, varying age. Everything felt very human. But the more I played it in, the more I realized I was writing her...novel...I suppose?

There were small complaints, like her characters saying everything "darkly" ("Blahblahblahblah," said man, darkly). Or the fact that she didn't seem to understand that four people don't run a large gang like she insinuated it was, but those are small complaints.

The biggest point is she wouldn't let me bring in side characters, which is something I feel brings more to the table. It was a gang/mob style RP, one of my characters mentions that something happens to his sister and he was bringing her to be taken care of, potentially to open up a bigger plot, or a side plot, and she basically threw the character out and didn't allow her. From that point on, every 'side character' that was used was one she made up and had me play, without me knowing who they were, having much background, and generally feeling uncomfortable because I was being criticized for playing her characters.

I noped out of there after that, because it felt so flat and robotic at that point. It was...surreal to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back