Chitchat What is the dialect/slang like where you live?

I live in New England!
  • We say "you guys" or "all of you" as opposed to y'all and the like
  • We say "soda" or specify the brand. Nobody here says pop.
  • In more suburban areas, you might here people say "bubbler" instead of "water fountain", but I'm from a city and grew up saying water fountain.
  • Certain communities have their own slang terms. My neighborhood in particular uses a lot of Yiddish slang, but it isn't universal.
  • We have no specific term for a sandwich served on an elongated bread roll. Usually it's a "sub", but you'll also hear "grinder" and a few others.
  • Casual swearing is very common, even in semi-formal settings like offices and such. You wouldn't drop an f-bomb in church. but that's about the only circumstance where it wouldn't be perfectly normal and expected.

Where i'm currently living, Indiana, it's so different. Casual cussing isn't heard of. If you cuss like.....anywhere you're stared at forever with murmurs of "OMG! Did they really just cuss?" If you cuss in Indiana than you have got to be very very mad. Also, people here are way too friendly It isn't rare to here people greet eachother with "Hello beautiful. How are you hon?" Things like that. From people i have never met. It's strange to say the least.

In good ol' Britain, we have an ancient saying that spans back generations. It goes "Oi you cheeky git, talk smack about me mum and I'll paste ya straight across the gob. Bloody wanker."

Ah. The south. Our dialect is pretty simple. We do say 'Yall' but we also say other stuff.
The accent is closer to a slowed down British accent. It's hard to explain.

New Yorker, here! Brooklyn, to be more specific.
  • We say "you guys" or "all of you" as well, but I've also heard a few people say "y'all."
  • "Soda." The only people I've heard use "Pop" are my cousins from Indiana.
  • We use a lot of slang. When I moved down to the DMV area during college, I had a lot of people look at me funny when I said certain things. "Dumb," for example. Only in NY can you say someone's "dumb smart" and it makes perfect sense lmao.
  • Deadass, facts, mad, buggin, brick, jatty, not for nothing, son, etc.
  • We call a "sub sandwich" a "hero"
  • You mentioned the "n-word" in the original post; My friends and I do use the word. A lot, actually. We use it in many different ways & situations.
  • I do think that a lot of the terms we use depend on our age group. For example, I don't think I've ever heard someone over 30 use "jatty" in a sentence.

Ere in good ol' Yorkshire, even from region t' region, there's differences.
Where in South Yorkshire y' might be greeted by a "nah then, how's you?" This ain't a question. Not really. It's kind of hard to explain. It's a semi rhetoric I guess, one no one expects answering but for the same in response.

We cut up a lot of words. In South Yorkshire, "Butter" is pronounced "bu-uh" the t is super silent. Like it's an actual pause in breath in the middle of the two sylables. Same goes with "water" (war-er).

In North Yorkshire there's a noticeable elongation of certain vowels. "No" becomes "no-oah" but in a melodic sort of way.

There's a great debate throughout much of England to what the real name of a "bap/burger bun" is. Among the many names "cob, bap, bun, roll".

And yes, I typed some of this informative piece in "typed Yorkshire dialect".
For anyone questioning what South Yorkshire folk in particular sound like, watch an interview with Sean Bean (Ned Stark) or the Arctic Monkeys.

"Mardy bum" (if you listen to the song by aforementioned band) the word "mardy" means grumpy/ ill humoured/in a bad mood all the time.
We have a lot of slang/coloquialisms. I couldn't list them all.

West Texas here.

•"Y'all" is common place and you never hear anything else.
•We have replacements for cuss words down her in small town Texas "cotton picking" most of the time is a substitute for "fuck" or "fucker" , "Sweet honey" is "shit", and my personal favorite, "powder puffing jonny" a replacement for "motherfucker".
•We say "damn" a lot. I'm fairly certain I heard a pastor say it during a sermon.
•"Lick your boots" is a common phrase, it means something like "Get ready to fight".
•Oh, "Jesus, Mary and Joseph" is a common replacement to taking the Lord's name in vain.

There's probably more that I can't think of

As I'm pretty sure I'm one of the few Singaporeans on this site, I shall educate you on the topic of Singlish. Colloquial Singaporean English, better known as Singlish, is an English-based creole language spoken in Singapore. While English is one of our national languages, Singlish is essentially English but with several words and phrases from our other national languages and dialects such as Malay and Hokkien mixed in. Personally, I do not use much Singlish in my average conversation, although I do switch when speaking to close friends/family.

Here is an example:

"Ey, bro, you got eat already or not?"

"Haven't yet, lah. Hungry, sia!"

"Like that, ah? Ey, come, bro. Let's go makan. What you want?"

"Anything lor."

"Why you always like that? Whatever, lah. I know hawker centre that got shiok nasi lemak."

"Okay lah. Let's go."

Translation:

"Salutations, dear friend of mine, have you eaten yet?"

"I have yet to, and I am feeling rather peckish."

"I understand. Perhaps you would like to go for a meal with me? What suits your preferences?"

"I am fine with anything."

"Why are you always so indecisive? However, it does not bother me, for I know an open-air eating establishment that sells inexpensive food offering some brilliant rice cooked with coconut milk in pandan leaf."

"That is fine. Come, let us be off."

Where I live (Germany, Hessen), we often say Soda. I also often say "Can". Cola-Can (we don't say Coke as it, well, is also a word for cocaine lmao), Fanta-Can, you get the drill. I also like to say Y'all, homie, dude. And I often say Nitzel instead of Schnitzel. Has its roots in my childhood days, where I was unable to pronounce sch-words, like school.
OH and lets not forget my classic "Uh-uh!" (Yes) and "uh-uh!" (No). Also a word I have often said when I was a kid.

We say "eh" all the time and we also pronounce about like ah-boot. We say "sorry" a lot and we love our hockey.
Take a wild guess which country I from.

Nah, I pronounce about like a normal person---'ah-bout' and I for one have never heard another Canadian say aboot before. I say Pop most of the time, Soda on rare occasions and Coke when I'm talking about Coke---like Coca Cola.
To most people, I usually greet them with a 'yo'. Idk why. I assume our slang is much like New York's but you never know.
I call Tim Hortons Timmy's and quite a lot of the time I randomly lapse into French. Like, I'd be talking in English and I'd just say a word in French. For example, "C'est okay." Most people I know don't do that, but I do. French isn't even my first language soooo *shrugs*
Oh but we all totally say eh. A bit subconsciously but eh is definitely common.

Mmm, I don't think we have that much ununusual slang in BestCal NorCal. We do say "hella" and occasionally "hecka," overuse the word "dude," and we use a lot of "like"s just like SoCal. We say soda, milkshake, sandwich, etc. We say "boba tea" and not "bubble tea."

If you go over to Santa Cruz and that general area, you will hear surfer speak that sounds exactly like you'd expect. The movies don't exaggerate. XD

We also shorten the names of highways and interstates, so Highway 99 is "the 99" and the I-5 is just "the 5." I dunno if other places do that. Do you do that?

Edit: Actually, I wanna add something a lot of people might not know that's super interesting. If you go up to super rural areas in the foothills and the mountains along the northeast, you'll hear like a faux southern accent from some people. You'll hear stuff like "warshed" instead "washed" and I'm pretty sure I've heard "y'all."

Last edited:
Fuckin struth mate, here i was fuckin mindin me own business right? Next thing i know some I'm uncultured made a post askin what the slang's like where i'm from so i figured "well I'm not here to fuck spiders"

Next thing i know i'm all like "well fuck my dog" it's a bloody international gatherin here. Dialects from all over the bloody world. Fascinatin i yell ya.

Rural Victorian - Australia.

as i am northern irish, i use the term 'buck eejit' a lot.

for example: you buck eejit! means, 'you stupid idiot!'

I live in Las Vegas so I'm sure we use many gambling terms not used anywhere else. I don't gamble so I don't know. We also call it soda here. I'm a student, so I do use internet slang, as well as regular "kid-slang" I guess.

Not really affected by my age...I speak quickly and enthusiastically. I am a Michigander living in a portion of the South that has a blend of accents. One town will sound different from the other, Appalachians come to our store sometimes and I have no idea what they are saying, the language does vary greatly by racial demographic. I stand out like a sore thumb and there is no shortage of "Ya'rent from 'round here are'ya."

I say "Hey yuhguys" not 'Hey you guys'

'yoosta' not 'used to'

'pop' not 'soda'

'kinuh' not 'kinda'

'meer' not 'mirror'

'lek' not 'lake'

'care' not 'CAR'

Then there are the other language differences. My co-workers always get a good laugh.

I cuss, but in weird and strange ways. This may be a family trait. I remember my dad saying "what the fat" and it was ten times more terrifying than the actual f-bomb. I've also stolen 'fargin' iceholes' from Fargo simply because it is the funnies things I've ever heart, and 'what the cuss,' and 'that cussing,' or 'these cussing' from Fantastic Mr. Fox. I think there's a lot of value in throwing people through conversational loops.

https://www.rpnation.com/rating/like?content_type=post&content_id=8921740&rating_type_id=1

I live in the literal center of the US and there really aren't any defining nuances to the dialect, or the slang people use here. I know everyone has an accent, but like, nobody here has a distinct accent that you could place on a map. It's the most standard American accent you could think of, like the way people talk on any given American tv show, or the type of generalized American accent an actor from another country would do.

Another Michigander here. We don't even pronounce the letter T in most of our words. Like in Mountain Dew, we say something like Mound'n Deiw (or if you're like me, you don't even pronounce the D/T. I end up with "moun'n".) Apparently we also say a lot of "Ope"s. I have done it myself, this is true, but I haven't really seen it as prominent lately. Maybe just the area where I live or something.

Also, as an example of how a simple conversation goes with my Tri-Cities accent, here is a little text war my buddies and I did earlier:

A - Nat if I take out a lodd'uv loanz
B - Tha's a lod of loanz that yew wood haf to take ou'
A - Yeah, and I wood neva hafta pay
B - Whyz that
A - Becuz when the project iz dun I'll blasd off intu space
C - Tru Dho
B - Uhhh, I don' think that will werk but yew go for it
A - I jus hope the space force doesn' exizt yet
B - Yeah, they still sound like powe'rangerz too
A - Hmm, new plan. Make ligh'house into megazord az well

I think y'all get the picture. ;)

in Thailand, we address waiters as "Boy"
example
"Eyy Boy wheres my food"
"Boy where is my beer"
its from when American troops were stationed somewhere in north Thailand and didn't really know what to call the locals so they'd often address them indirectly like "Mister" or "Boy" and i guess it stuck around

In Britain we don’t say ‘pop’ or ‘soda’ like uncultured swine, instead we address a soft drink by its brand name so people know what we’re actually talking about, get good yankees.

In Britain we don’t say ‘pop’ or ‘soda’ like uncultured swine, instead we address a soft drink by its brand name so people know what we’re actually talking about, get good yankees.
Good for you. Is that the slang over there? To refer to a soft drink by its name?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back