Chitchat What is the dialect/slang like where you live?

Soprano

sax mom
And/or is it effected by you're age?

As a Texan, you bet I'm going to say y'all. It's just a hell of a lot easier than saying 'you all' or as some northerners say it, "yous alls", or something like that. I also happen to use double contractions in my everyday speech such as, "shouldn't've" or "y'all'll". I'm not too sure if that's a southern thing or not, though.

Soda, Coke or Pop?
Soda for me. If you say fizzy drink, I will find you. Pop is already bad enough as it is.

As for my age, I'm still in school so I happen to use modern slang seen on Twitter threads and such. I don't use the n-word in any form because I don't feel like it's right for me to do so. I have stupid little sayings between my friends that I can't quite explain here because I'd have to say it for others to understand. I cuss, but I feel like most people do.

i hear that as a greeting and a insult at my school but i clap to you

I greet my friend by saying, "whaddup, smegmug", or if I want to keep it simple, "sup, bitch"
also i'm white so, i don't see it as an appropriate term for me to use, you know?

My way of speaking differs greatly in person than when communicating via text or the like. More often than not, I find that trying to be more formal or use sophisticated terminology in the area i live in, I'm just met with blank stares or the very possibility of them not even understanding what i was trying to say (which to me is pretty saddening).

My language is quite...colorful, i would say. Probably use foul language more than i should.

Also, pop. XD

Probably because people don't usually try to use advanced language when they're around other people? Idk, it might work better around baby boomers, but try that shit around a millennial, and you're bound to be met with awkwardness.

It seems more often that younger people just try to cut the chase. But that's just me.

Probably because people don't usually try to use advanced language when they're around other people? Idk, it might work better around baby boomers, but try that shit around a millennial, and you're bound to be met with awkwardness.

It seems more often that younger people just try to cut the chase. But that's just me.

Fair enough. One's manner of speaking should always reflect the level of assumed intelligence that the listener may have...take that how you will.

Living in Ohio all of my life, mostly rural areas...the bar was set pretty low. All in all, i suppose it comes down to personal preference in the way one wishes to communicate as well as various other factors.

I meant no disrespect of any sort. Was just speaking to the reason why certain ways of communicating will differ amongst individuals. If anybody felt personally attacked by what I stated, i truly am sorry.

I'm only discussing the topic at hand based on my own personal experience on.. well, communicating. No animosity on this end.

I meant no disrespect of any sort. Was just speaking to the reason why certain ways of communicating will differ amongst individuals. If anybody felt personally attacked by what I stated, i truly am sorry.

I'm only discussing the topic at hand based on my own personal experience on.. well, communicating. No animosity on this end.

No worries. Personal experience seems to be the big variable here.

Hullo from the great white North,

I think pop is the go-to up here. As for everyday slang, it's hard to say ... we incorporate swearing a lot ...

EDIT: and of course we pronounce "?" as "eh."

Well, here is a hello from the Golden State of trash people
Here in socal, you get a lot of "uh"s, "um"s and "like"s
We have a lot of foreigners where Im from so its hard to pin one subsect of slang

Virginia's pretty diverse as far as dialect and pronounciation, since VA culture is vastly different from region to region.

As a central Virginian, I'd say I have some distinct "Virginian" mannerisms, but most people I meet are surprised when I say I'm from the South, despite both of my parents being born here.

Something that comes to mind as distinct Virginian pronounciation is the "t" in "often," no matter if someone has a Virginia Piedmont (the "southern" drawl) drawl or not. Generally, one's parents influence speech patterns more than their surroundings do, although I can certainly say I've caught myself saying "are" instead of "our" before.

Down here at the bottom of the world it is collectively known as soft drinks =P

Me personally, I write/text as I talk for the most part. For the everyday slang here nothing comes to mind- but that’s probably because we’re a little isolated so maybe it’s just not as obvious? But a thong is definitely an undergarment only, otherwise they are jandals or flip flops. And we do use ‘muppet’ for a silly person or someone doing something moronic- even if referring to yourself (eg I was such a muppet). It’s usually...affectionate? In that it’s recognising doing something dumb without being insulting.

*When you you hear soda, pop, and cola used in the same corner store within five minutes of each other because of the abhorrent nature of the state known as "Florida"*

But in all seriousness, Florida's some weird combination of old northerners and younger southerners meeting together. The amount of times I've heard old white people talk use racist terms for people would probably astound most of the people here. I've heard people use the n-word both as a term of endearment, and the thing that starts a full on riot in the middle of a school. I've seen(and heard) things you people wouldn't believe.

Tfw you're a Southern British gal.
Mum taught me how to speak decent, "posh" English, but my dad taught me how to speak rougher Hatfield lingo (innit bruv?)

I'm lost between the two :^) pls help

For some reason I love talking to people about slang, haha! I've traveled to many countries and when people pick up on my Southern accent (because it never goes away) they always ask me to say "y'all" or "ain't." Traveling has also allowed me to pick up on my slang and speech habits ^-^

I'm from South Carolina, and the area that I live in is real country. "Y'all" is very common, but I hear "yous" and "you-uns/you-ins" too. Hell, sometimes I hear older people say "yens." We also talk fairly fast-paced, and our words will mesh together and sound slurry (I don't think that's a word but oh well).

For example, yesterday I was at a corner store and someone (who I don't think was from the area) asked the cashier if he had a certain type of dip brand, and the cashier said "Nome (no), Ion (I don't) think we got at (that) in stock."

it's really weird, haha

Lots of 'eh'. Pop for me too, but I'm in a part that's borderline country yet still city enough. Go 30 minutes down the road and you got your country folk there, bud. Bud is used a lot at the end of sentences with some lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back