Advice/Help What is the best way to find your RP match?

MechanicalSnake

Like the Moon, part of him was always hidden away.
I was wondering, how do other people proceed when making a search thread? I am interested in several very niche fandoms/pairings that I will probably never find partners for. Is there a good way to make the few who might want to give them a shot to notice my thread? Is it better to make a separate search thread for each (so far I have avoided this due to not wanting to spam)?

I don't have much experience with this issue, but do have a piece of advice that might help: Make the title of your search thread(s) very specific and descriptive of what you want. Too many threads in the Looking for Partners section are just some variation of "So-and-So's partner search!" which tells me nothing of what sort of role-plays they want. It's an endless sea of mystery threads and sifting through and reading each one takes so much time. The genre tags don't help much, especially when so many say "multiple setting". So I would strongly recommend you list those niche fandoms/pairings in your title, to better your chances of catching the eye of someone interested in them. Good luck!

Put your feelers out. Is there a particular forum for said fandom that you can ask for? I found a role-play partner for something that literally nobody else shipped on fanfiction.net. It just ended up working out perfectly.
You never know where you'll find someone, so just ask!

Put your feelers out. Is there a particular forum for said fandom that you can ask for? I found a role-play partner for something that literally nobody else shipped on fanfiction.net. It just ended up working out perfectly.
You never know where you'll find someone, so just ask!
for some of the, I tried... There were a few ppl on ffnet writing fanfics, but either already inactive, or not into rps....

The only way to match someone with demand to someone with supply is order of encounter, in other words, it's all due to luck. It's not like there aren't ways to slightly improve your odds, however, I believe you'd be better served with different approaches.

First of all, don't be passive. Always and I mean, always look yourself for what you want. Before and after making the search thread. Your odds of finding what you want will go up considerably if you aren't just waiting on someone to stumble upon your thread. Other ways of being more active include talking about it in statuses (talk about the fandom, for instance) and general participating in the community making yourself more open to people looking you up.

Another thing which can help is putting a link to the search thread on your signature. That way every post you make is advertising your thread.

Even if you aren't having luck finding your partner, you can still try to focus on other nuisances that might make the roleplaying process harder later. Think about how you're going to talk to them, what character you'll use, what kind of plot and all those things which you may otherwise need to come up with on the spot.

Lastly, be open for negotiation. Sometimes maybe there is something in the fandom that is what you really like about it/want to roleplay. In other words, it may not necessarily be mandatory to roleplay the fandom if you can form a plot with those elements. Gaining flexibility is important for a roleplayer.

I hope these are helpful! Happy RPing!

The only way to match someone with demand to someone with supply is order of encounter, in other words, it's all due to luck. It's not like there aren't ways to slightly improve your odds, however, I believe you'd be better served with different approaches.

First of all, don't be passive. Always and I mean, always look yourself for what you want. Before and after making the search thread. Your odds of finding what you want will go up considerably if you aren't just waiting on someone to stumble upon your thread. Other ways of being more active include talking about it in statuses (talk about the fandom, for instance) and general participating in the community making yourself more open to people looking you up.

Another thing which can help is putting a link to the search thread on your signature. That way every post you make is advertising your thread.

Even if you aren't having luck finding your partner, you can still try to focus on other nuisances that might make the roleplaying process harder later. Think about how you're going to talk to them, what character you'll use, what kind of plot and all those things which you may otherwise need to come up with on the spot.

Lastly, be open for negotiation. Sometimes maybe there is something in the fandom that is what you really like about it/want to roleplay. In other words, it may not necessarily be mandatory to roleplay the fandom if you can form a plot with those elements. Gaining flexibility is important for a roleplayer.

I hope these are helpful! Happy RPing!

Thanks so much! I do try to run a search for what I want every now and then, but with little luck. However, I have not thought of the signature thing. I -am- pretty sure there are people who like stuff I do, they just don't know about me. :D

Thanks so much! I do try to run a search for what I want every now and then, but with little luck. However, I have not thought of the signature thing. I -am- pretty sure there are people who like stuff I do, they just don't know about me. :D
Yes there are don't worry. Let me give you another little tip, you may be able to use the "search" feature of RPN by clicking that magnifying glass on the top right of your screen ;)

Yes there are don't worry. Let me give you another little tip, you may be able to use the "search" feature of RPN by clicking that magnifying glass on the top right of your screen ;)
Oh, I did that! Even searched for character names and books everywhere, not just thread titles!

(Unfortunately, my favorite fandom was mentioned only ONCE on this page, and in a negative context at that.)

I have no idea what that is. Haha. But it's good that you like it. I don't like major fandoms myself. Bleh.
Didn't think you would! *sob* :D
And yes, that is my problem, either I don't like major fandoms, or I like pairings/characters others don't it seems.

I don't like the exact same pairings/characters. A lot of people on here like super dark bad boy/good girl stuff and I would cringe if I had to play that.

Yep, cliché stuff is the worst! But there must be a reason 50 shades of grey sold so well!

The tips I thought to give have basically been given except maybe you should consider doubling up for your mainstream fandom unpopular pairings. If you agree to do a popular pairing with someone they might agree to do an unpopular one as well.

On a different note that series looks really interesting I'll have to look it up so thank you.

The tips I thought to give have basically been given except maybe you should consider doubling up for your mainstream fandom unpopular pairings. If you agree to do a popular pairing with someone they might agree to do an unpopular one as well.

On a different note that series looks really interesting I'll have to look it up so thank you.

If you read it, do let me know, even if not for a game, but just to give a short review. :) I really love this thing and the author is very fanfiction friendly, so she lets me and other writers contribute to the world's short story collections. :)

If you read it, do let me know, even if not for a game, but just to give a short review. :) I really love this thing and the author is very fanfiction friendly, so she lets me and other writers contribute to the world's short story collections. :)
That's really cool. I'll have to try to find them somewhere first obviously but once I do I'll let you know. :)

Find someone who replies like you (Similar length and style) It means that the two of you have alot in common and the roleplay will feel very smooth

Definitely don’t make multiple threads it’s super tacky and an automatic turn off for a lot of people.

also try putting out platonic version of your search. From personal experience the platonic pool is so small that if I have the time I’ll damn near read a book just to role play with someone who isn’t obsessed with pairings.

Also explain the fandom. I’ve managed to snag a partner just through describing the fandom I like in enough detail for them to understand what I want.

Bonus managed to get them interested in maybe reading the books at some point.

Also if there are online reviews or chapter by chapter break downs of your fandom link those.

Heck make a thread in the general chat talking about it. The more visibility your fandom gets the more likely your search will get a bite

Users who are viewing this thread

Back