Viewpoint What is one thing you wish to roleplay, without getting judged?

One of my characters is a shape-shifting multi-dimensional time-traveler that has no control over their powers. I've had people tell me it's a cop out because they can literally be in any situation and look like anything, and a lot of people shy away unless it's specifically sci-fi. However, their personality and character is consistent so I don't really think it's a cop out and it really forces me to be creative as far as how and why they are in a situation. It does, however, provide good conflict.
I think people are worried about your character over shadowing the entire plot, and his powers being convienient. For example, does he hate his powers as he can't control them? Would he not feel resentful that everyone else gets to live out their life having relationships whereas he can't get attached to anyone lest he be whisked away at any moment? If this was true, the character would likely be bitter, angry and generally apathetic, which isn't what most people look for.

I think people are worried about your character over shadowing the entire plot, and his powers being convienient. For example, does he hate his powers as he can't control them? Would he not feel resentful that everyone else gets to live out their life having relationships whereas he can't get attached to anyone lest he be whisked away at any moment? If this was true, the character would likely be bitter, angry and generally apathetic, which isn't what most people look for.

Yeah, I can see what you mean. At face value I can also see why they might get that impression, so I might need to pitch it differently and with more information. For example, their travel actually puts a lot of strain on their mind so they have a hard time remembering things about themselves. They do typically remember that they're from a terrible place and that they return if something really bad happens to them (ie: insane levels of stress from grief and the like, physical damage to the point of dying, etc.) or if they stay in one place too long (think centuries). They also know that their body is really weird and their shifting is unconscious. In truth, they're extremely anxious and wish to hide this aspect of themselves, but at the same time don't want to go and be alone again and wish to have a good life while they still can. Basically imagine if someone knew they could die at any moment from terminal something. They know they can die at any moment and frequently have existential crises, but need to function and live and enjoy life at the same time. It's a lot of angst and a lot of interest, but also a lot of fluff and hope combined with interesting and unusual scenarios. I just really struggle to convey that in a character profile/pitch I suppose. Thanks for the critique tho!

Toxic relationships. Admittedly I don't want my characters constantly beaten up, but I want them to be manipulated and coerced and possibly threatened. I want them to slowly realise they're being abused and leave and heal with the help of others.

Something to do with sports. Never seen it before, but I am certainly interested in trying it.

Hmm a virus I made up called CBTD
Which literally gives its victims b**chy tongues

(B**tch as in female canine)

Here's an example of the virus
image.jpeg

I like darker themes. Dark themes as in slavery, torture, experimentation and lastly, maybe my character develops some kind of stockholm syndrome with their captor.

Finding someone to rp as a dc or marvel canon hero who find a baby while patroling and must decide weither to raise them or send to orphanage

This isn't really an embarassing one but I would really, really like to do a Wheel of Time RP.

Me, personally, I love lots of unpopular shows. And childish shows. I’d love to rp Power Rangers but it just seems like no one’s looking

I have a lot of ideas that would likely attract a lot of judgement. But they are topics that shouldn't be discussed on a non-adult site. lol
And even on those sites, the topics are a bit unpopular and taboo.

I used to have the basis for a great high school comedy. I forget most of the plot elements but I still remember the lore and setting of the school, and the major character concepts.

It wasn't so much a fear of judgement that kept me from it, but more so not having been in high school since 2003.

I'd really love to explore the dynamic of man and beast. platonically...maybe some potential for small fantasy element like mind reading just to help make it easier to roleplay but like a dog and his human...dragon and his rider...or any animal and a person and have them nagivate some kind of world together....whether apocalyptic, realistic, medieval etc etc.

This might not seem too 'out there', but I'd dig a chance to play a character who is interesting in a very plain way - nothing particularly dramatic or supernatural, just a fairly ordinary person. In my experience people often lean more towards thrilling backstories and larger-than-life endgames (within the context of the setting) and they kind of get thrown when this guy turns up and wants to chill with a sandwich and pass his driving test. I reckon you could make that plenty interesting with the right perspective!

I just want to do romance rps where the characters eventually or already have children together, but people seem to be very anti kids in roleplays so it never happens. I just want some sickeningly sweet domestic bliss to make me smile.

Forget roleplaying. I just want to be able to browse face claims and portraits without getting interrogated. 😭 😭 😭

Users who are viewing this thread

Back