Viewpoint What is one thing you wish to roleplay, without getting judged?

I really love starting my characters as happy/optimistic in a dark rp. Especially when it is a head over heels situation (Apocalypse ones for example). But every time I try to play one I get scoffed at and told it's "not that type of rp"

I think that the ability to have a character evolve in a rp is really important and i would love to explore how their mindset changes during the darkness of the rp and the struggle of trying to stay the "happy person".

I really love starting my characters as happy/optimistic in a dark rp. Especially when it is a head over heels situation (Apocalypse ones for example). But every time I try to play one I get scoffed at and told it's "not that type of rp"

I think that the ability to have a character evolve in a rp is really important and i would love to explore how their mindset changes during the darkness of the rp and the struggle of trying to stay the "happy person".
What?? I love those types of characters - the ones who start out naive and optimistic but whose hopes and innocence get crushed later on.
...I mean, it's terrible, but I'm interested in seeing how characters develop in those types of situations. And I don't like it all the time (there are some characters I really want to stay innocent lol), but it can be done well.

Do you usually let people know beforehand what you're going for? Like you want your OC to start off optimistic and change through the course of the RP? If they don't know that's the direction you're going to take, I can see how they'd be hesitant, but otherwise...

What?? I love those types of characters - the ones who start out naive and optimistic but
Do you usually let people know beforehand what you're going for? Like you want your OC to start off optimistic and change through the course of the RP? If they don't know that's the direction you're going to take, I can see how they'd be hesitant, but otherwise...

Oh yeah! I mention that I like to make my characters grow in the rp. They say no to my cs. I explain it again. People get the idea of what they want their rp to look like, and they forget that the point of rp is to not know what to expect. You could just write a book if you know exactly what you want to happen.

Oh yeah! I mention that I like to make my characters grow in the rp. They say no to my cs. I explain it again. People get the idea of what they want their rp to look like, and they forget that the point of rp is to not know what to expect. You could just write a book if you know exactly what you want to happen.
Ughhh that's annoying. I understand how it feels to be sorta picky and dislike certain events happening in an RP, but they shouldn't be that strict. RPs are fun because everyone is contributing and bringing new ideas to the table. Super strict GMs or RP partners make no sense to me because I feel like they shouldn't be RPing at all. They should be writing a novel...

Ughhh that's annoying. I understand how it feels to be sorta picky and dislike certain events happening in an RP, but they shouldn't be that strict. RPs are fun because everyone is contributing and bringing new ideas to the table. Super strict GMs or RP partners make no sense to me because I feel like they shouldn't be RPing at all. They should be writing a novel...
I work as a larp dm for a living so I know how to make stuff like this work like the back of my hand, there is a huge difference of making sure that the story stays on track and railroading the players. People won't have fun and stay if they feel that they have no choice in the matter. Especially online where all you have to do is stop responding.

No, you don’t. You do you. Self inserts are not inherently bad. Just have fun!😁
Totally agree! RP is meant to be fun, so don't hold back and have fun - but of course the problem is trying to find someone who wants to write the same kind of thing as you and/or doesn't mind whatever you write.
Best of luck finding someone like that!

honestly, i just want to rp a character that’s not necessarily “submissive”, but gets overpowered, especially in a romance setting

i know that might not sound all that scandalous, and hell, the 1x1 search is littered with people looking to do the same thing, but i have never personally had this want fulfilled. almost all of my rp experiences are me pandering to someone else, playing the super dominant male who people can just lay back and be excited about while i do all the hard work of story building and plot progression. and don’t get me wrong, i do enjoy playing these roles, but 9/10 the people i rp with give me nothing to work with and i’m just bored to tears because i know they just want to let go of the reigns and be romanced (sometimes in a fucked up controversial way, other times not)

also i really love dark plots/themes/etc but i’ve never really felt scared to express this as the rp partners i end up with seek me out for all the aforementioned reasons (eg a fucked up male to string along an intricate and dark story for them and their self insert)

but i can’t judge these people for doing that, because i want the same for myself

tl;dr i just want to have an rp where i’m not doing all the work and i get some shameless fulfillment

sry this was a bit of a rant and might not have made any sense lmao

Hmmmm.... If I could play anything with no judgment... Not even judgment from myself...

-A roleplay with middle aged characters.

-A comedy roleplay with all Edgelords and Mary Sues.

-A Christian RP. Like, the religion.

I often play middle aged characters myself, despite not being middle aged. Middle aged men in particular are fun. I also have actually done a Mary Sue RP. Everybody had to intentionally create the biggest Mary Sue they could. Sadly the RP itself did not last long, but it was funny while it was active.

What exactly do you mean by a Christian RP? Like, a RP with devout Christians as the characters. Priests, monks, nuns, etc.? I personally think it would be fun to do a RP set in the Roman Empire with persecuted Christians as the characters.

I tend to roleplay extremely dark characters. I want more of that, but I feel no one wants to play that out. I play both sides of that type of stuff.

Violence, serial killing, death, abuse, toxic relationships, severe mental illness/issues. I can feel the judging on my text right now.
Nope, I like to role play the same. Most of my characters have toxic relationships with someone close to them, and nearly all of them are involved in some seriously questionable activities.

One of my characters fell in love with her father, who was a murdering fascist. That's I think the darkest one I had, and she stabbed her mother when she found out, due to her threatening to expose it.

(The character later tried to commit suicide due to finding out she was pregnant)

I
Nope, I like to role play the same. Most of my characters have toxic relationships with someone close to them, and nearly all of them are involved in some seriously questionable activities.

One of my characters fell in love with her father, who was a murdering fascist. That's I think the darkest one I had, and she stabbed her mother when she found out, due to her threatening to expose it.

I never get to roleplay it, but I always want to.

God, I’d just like to roleplay an Undertale character in one of my crossover roleplays. But with the whole herr deer fandom cringy nonsense, I really can’t without being judged.

God, I’d just like to roleplay an Undertale character in one of my crossover roleplays. But with the whole herr deer fandom cringy nonsense, I really can’t without being judged.
I can relate, sort of. Although I've never actually wanted to RP Undertale, I do know what it feels like to be too embarrassed to tell people I like Undertale because of how bad the fandom is. I wish the more... ...interesting fans wouldn't ruin it for the rest of us.

I can relate, sort of. Although I've never actually wanted to RP Undertale, I do know what it feels like to be too embarrassed to tell people I like Undertale because of how bad the fandom is. I wish the more... ...interesting fans wouldn't ruin it for the rest of us.

Bad in what way exactly? I'm not in the Undertale fandom(never even played the game) so I don't really know anything about it.

Bad in what way exactly? I'm not in the Undertale fandom(never even played the game) so I don't really know anything about it.
I was never truly "in" the fandom since I tried to avoid it as much as possible, but the unavoidable stuff I did see was pretty bad. People were really toxic and hateful. If you had even a slightly differing opinion to theirs, they would attack you. Plus there was an indescribably huge amount of creepy fetish art that still haunts me to this day. I've heard a lot of horror stories of people's personal experiences with over-excited Undertale fans being huge creeps. Not to mention a lot of the fans could be annoying in general - because Undertale was so popular, people tended to shove it down your throat and try to force you to play it and enjoy it even if you didn't want to.

I know not everyone was like this. I certainly wasn't. I avoided the fandom like a plague and just enjoyed the game itself. I had a couple friends who felt the same way. But unfortunately, the most vocal fans were the creepiest and pushiest. It tarnished the entire fandom in general. It got so bad that I'm pretty sure the creator himself admitted he kinda regretting making the game. (Or something along those lines?)

I'd really love a good arranged marriage/court intrigue group plot that isn't just pages upon pages of dewey eyed Mary Sues fawning over each other and themselves and ignoring all of the actual political implications and internal conflict that usually comes with an arranged royal/noble marriage. God. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the truly literate/serious RPers look down on or flat out refuse to play court intrigue plots, so they always devolve into Magical Highschool Drama 2.0. Maybe it's because they tend to devolve? It might be a self-feeding cycle.

I’d like to always Roleplay either based on the band Belzebubs, or one of my own original edgy ideas without anybody going “ThATs PrETTy EmO BRo”

Like, can you please not?? I just appreciate dark-related themes because it gives something interesting to the experience, doesn’t mean I’m emo dude

I'd really love a good arranged marriage/court intrigue group plot that isn't just pages upon pages of dewey eyed Mary Sues fawning over each other and themselves and ignoring all of the actual political implications and internal conflict that usually comes with an arranged royal/noble marriage. God. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the truly literate/serious RPers look down on or flat out refuse to play court intrigue plots, so they always devolve into Magical Highschool Drama 2.0. Maybe it's because they tend to devolve? It might be a self-feeding cycle.

That sounds really interesting, actually. Unfortunately I don’t know a lot about political implications and all that, unless Seraphina and Starcrossed are valid examples of that.

I'd totally be down for that some time. It's, you know, the actual stuff that arranged marriage within royal lines implies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back