Viewpoint What is one thing you wish to roleplay, without getting judged?

Y'know, I have no problem with kids in rps, but I have had people use it as an excuse to throw tantrums for attention. Personally, due to my experience, I prefer to keep characters 16+
It's true some people would use children for those purposes, but the way I see it they're not different from every other roleplayer who tries to get attention or who only knows how to interact by arguing. Children are not the problem, the person behind the screen is and upping the age won't exactly serve much of a purpose. At least that's how I think. Then again, the only other person that I think I EVER saw using a really young child was Archtoddler Archtoddler and she's basically named after it.

It's true some people would use children for those purposes, but the way I see it they're not different from every other roleplayer who tries to get attention or who only knows how to interact by arguing. Children are not the problem, the person behind the screen is and upping the age won't exactly serve much of a purpose. At least that's how I think. Then again, the only other person that I think I EVER saw using a really young child was Archtoddler Archtoddler and she's basically named after it.
I think its because people think being a child means getting what you want and all that, I've only ever had this problem with people who rped children tbh.
That being said, I am sure there are people who actually know how to rp as kids, I just haven't rped with any.

Then again, I wish more rps strayed from teenagers, the last rp I was in had an open age range and I was the only one with a character that wasn't 19-21, so I was left out lmao
I do wish older characters were more accepted. Having to play teenagers when you are 25 can be a little hard to do, when high school was so long ago, and you honestly cringe at your past self for how you were. But, I can also find the humor, and want to relive high school. I personally enjoy going back and thinking how school would be if I was like I am now. But I understand. Sometimes going through the high school drama ringer can get tiresome.

Hmm... Well, I guess I'd say that I love darker roleplays. I do love romance, but I like broken characters who can possibly be fixed. I have dealt with things like self-harm and substance abuse IRL, but those things do not trigger me and I don't mind including them in a roleplay. In fact, I'd love to explore those things further. I used to self harm, and I was able to stop, and am in a much better place now because of it. I had a fiance back in 2013 who was an addict, and unfortunately, the ending to his story isn't quite so happy. I couldn't help him, but if I could create a down and out, broken character (not necessarily an addict, either) who could possibly come out of it in a much better light, I would like to do so and not be judged for that.

I would really like to RP Transgender, Nonbinary, and Genderqueer characters but I can't find anyone else who's willing to RP with a Trans*/Queer character.

I also sometimes feel like people frown upon me playing a character who's older than me but that really limits things cuz I'm 13... .-. (This isn't the case all the time, I've just come across it once or twice)

would really like to RP Transgender, Nonbinary, and Genderqueer characters but I can't find anyone else who's willing to RP with a Trans*/Queer character.
While I don't think it is right to block you from being able to play such characters, let me guide you through my thought process as I read that:
"Oh, I see. That sounds interesting, actually."
"Yeah. I mean, even I have tried exploring some similar matters, though more on a lighthearted way..."
"Wait would this person even be ok with that? What if they are offended and think I'm making fun of them?"
"Hold on, in fact they may get offended at quite a lot. What if I get the wrong pronoun? What if they want to bring a whole bunch of baggage I have no idea about? better play it safe and not take it."

Now naturally I can´t speak for anyone else... But I am a a straiht white male and on top of that I'm a fan of genderbender manga, so my immediate reaction is pretty much thinking I'll get a lecture at best and a mortal enemy at worst. Which, you might imagine, makes me a bit hesitant.

While I don't think it is right to block you from being able to play such characters, let me guide you through my thought process as I read that:
"Oh, I see. That sounds interesting, actually."
"Yeah. I mean, even I have tried exploring some similar matters, though more on a lighthearted way..."
"Wait would this person even be ok with that? What if they are offended and think I'm making fun of them?"
"Hold on, in fact they may get offended at quite a lot. What if I get the wrong pronoun? What if they want to bring a whole bunch of baggage I have no idea about? better play it safe and not take it."

Now naturally I can´t speak for anyone else... But I am a a straiht white male and on top of that I'm a fan of genderbender manga, so my immediate reaction is pretty much thinking I'll get a lecture at best and a mortal enemy at worst. Which, you might imagine, makes me a bit hesitant.

I'm a nice, calm person who's used to overly-nervous cisgender people getting things wrong or asking questions. I understand that people assume that LGBT people are going to get upset at them for getting something wrong or asking a question but I really wish people didn't assume that.

I'm a nice, calm person who's used to overly-nervous cisgender people getting things wrong or asking questions. I understand that people assume that LGBT people are going to get upset at them for getting something wrong or asking a question but I really wish people didn't assume that.
I'm sorry for making assumptions. I know only a very small subsect are as...vocal... as that. I'm not saying it's right, but I was trying to give a little clarification as to a possible reason.

Idea Idea I'm cis so by no means educated on the subject, but I'm a little confused by your approach to this topic. I feel the subject of 'offending' people is often instigated by those who want to stoke conflict when the original discussion is as simple as basic human respect. As for knowing someone's pronouns, surely you could just ask them? After that it's very simple, unless you're purposefully trying to upset someone. Idk, I'm just a bit baffled by your comment and the general mindset towards the LGBT+ I've seen on this site as a newcomer, that people generally avoid queer characters bc they claim to be afraid of offending someone. As far as I'm concerned it's as simple as basic human respect and listening to people when they speak on issues that directly affect them, if there's conflict after that it's simply the individual's problem. I can totally understand being hesitant to role play a character whose identity you're not familiar with, but I don't get stretching as far as to not wanting to role play with someone playing a character of that identity.

I want to rp a minecraft prison break rp, and have a thread up for it, but i don't seem to have any takers. and i hear so much of "Minecraft is for little kids, you shouldn't even be playing that" SO?! I know a lot of ADULTS who play it and make some great builds out of it. If you're gonna judge me for the games i play, then why are you even trying to drag me down with it? Another game i want to rp in is My time at Portia

Last edited:
Idea Idea I'm cis so by no means educated on the subject, but I'm a little confused by your approach to this topic. I feel the subject of 'offending' people is often instigated by those who want to stoke conflict when the original discussion is as simple as basic human respect. As for knowing someone's pronouns, surely you could just ask them? After that it's very simple, unless you're purposefully trying to upset someone. Idk, I'm just a bit baffled by your comment and the general mindset towards the LGBT+ I've seen on this site as a newcomer, that people generally avoid queer characters bc they claim to be afraid of offending someone. As far as I'm concerned it's as simple as basic human respect and listening to people when they speak on issues that directly affect them, if there's conflict after that it's simply the individual's problem. I can totally understand being hesitant to role play a character whose identity you're not familiar with, but I don't get stretching as far as to not wanting to role play with someone playing a character of that identity.
You misunderstand me. I did not say nor mean that all LGBT members are that kind of person. Again, maybe only a few are, I wouldn't know. However, even a small chance like that is enough to make someone hesitate.

From there is a simple fact of life: any hurdle towards a particular path is an incentive to take a different one. People can only be in so many roleplays at a given time, so in this case if they hesitate about a given roleplay it's very easy for them to prefer to simply go to other roleplays where there isn't that fear.

I want to point that my comment was not saying "Don't roleplay that" nor "nobody will rolepaly that". This is not the kind of thread to be dissing what other people want to do. All I was trying was to give one perspective on what the issue might be, since knowing the problem is half the way to solving it.

Idea Idea I never claimed you did. However, if you're saying that you would avoid joining an entire role play because one of the characters is trans, you're the one perpetuating it. A small chance? So, avoid x bc you might be called out? Surely that's a risk with anything? Why do you highlight LGBT+ characters in particular?

Again, I didn't read it as such. I just find it perplexing that you would abandon an entire role play bc of one character's identity.

Idea Idea I never claimed you did. However, if you're saying that you would avoid joining an entire role play because one of the characters is trans, you're the one perpetuating it. A small chance? So, avoid x bc you might be called out? Surely that's a risk with anything? Why do you highlight LGBT+ characters in particular?

Again, I didn't read it as such. I just find it perplexing that you would abandon an entire role play bc of one character's identity.
I'm not saying that. I was giving a potential reason for why someone would, based on the impression their words created on me. Plus, I wanna point out that "anyone else who's willing to RP with a" is a pretty suggestive indicator that the discussion was regarding 1x1s. So even if it wasn't the fact that I am rather opposed to the idea of having to stick within one's comfort zone under normal circumstances, so naturally even if something makes me a bit hesitant I wouldn't give it up just because of that, the fact is that the discussion is not about whether one will "join a roleplay". Rather, the focus is on whether someone will choose THAT roleplay partner out of the wave of others out there.

Regarding your question about "surely that's a risk with anything" isn't exactly true. If happen to say, make a medical mistake and someone who has a medical degree calls me out on it, that's something that will usually fall into "creative licence" or "an honest mistake". As opposed to that, the risk (however unlikely) of a mistake of that nature regarding a minority, a formerly opressed community, and sometimes even as down to detail as a pronoun, people may treat it as a personal attack against them and all of their community to make such a mistake or to not have a 100% accurate view of them.

That said, I feel like this is turning into an argument, so I'll avoid replying further. I was trying to give a potential hint, to help, but I guess this is where that road led...

I just like gore to be honest, i honestly cannot join a combat roleplay that does not allow any form of gore or blood, i'm a stickler for detail in combat anyway, but you are going to get hurt in battle, otherwise we would just bring guitars and soccer balls into battle, not guns, i was sold for all five Final Destination movies anyway, maybe i have a problem. Eh. Fuck it.

I was giving a potential reason for why someone would, based on the impression their words created on me
Okay, but you wrote in the above that you yourself would be hesitant to join a role play because of the aforementioned 'risks'? Also, I don't role play 1x1 very often so my mind automatically switched to group role plays, I apologise for any confusion.
"Surely that's a risk to anything" didn't refer to factual errors but offending someone on the basis of identity. There are so many things that make people diverse and different but are equally sensitive topics, so I'd imagine you must limit your choices significantly, which could be pretty boring...
That said, I feel like this is turning into an argument, so I'll avoid replying further
I agree, I can't see either of us coming to a conclusion so I think this is the wisest decision. I'm still confused by your reasoning however.
I was trying to give a potential hint, to help, but I guess this is where that road led...
???

Any of y'all still looking for someone who is interested in darker themed rps. Please pm me! I love those kind plus others that I know are frowned upon by other people.

Okay, I guess I have sort of a weird one.

Canon characters.
I don't think I've ever played a Canon character from a fandom. Most of my RPs are completely original, and every once in awhile I'll try an OC in a fandom world. I've been curious about what it's like to play canon characters for awhile now. I know a lot of people already do that and are even widely accepted into good communities like these, but I think I just have too much respect for the characters and too little confidence in my own abilities to roleplay as them. So I guess it's less that people would judge me, and more that I'm WORRIED people would judge me, and in turn, I'm judging myself.

I'm not involved in a super large diversity of fandoms, either, so that makes it difficult. Maybe I'll get over this hurdle someday.

Is this still a thread about roleplays we wish we could do without judgment? It seems to have devolved. It doesn't sound like there's really anything worth arguing over here, so let's not attack our fellow roleplayers.

*clears throat*

I love cave people and I'm not ashamed to admit it! I love prehistory and the neolithic era, but it's so niche I almost hesitate to mention it to people. Like, okay, I get it. Roleplaying a bunch of dumb Neanderthals dragging their knuckles sounds lame and weird. But it's not like that! We're talking about a time when everything was innovation and survival was damn hard.

I blame 'Clan of the Cave Bear'. Such an amazing book.

Is this still a thread about roleplays we wish we could do without judgment? It seems to have devolved. It doesn't sound like there's really anything worth arguing over here, so let's not attack our fellow roleplayers.
Devolved? I wouln't say as much. For one thing, this thread got necroed back yesterday, and had been gone and buried for months. So not exactly wildfire. For another I don't believe there were any personal attacks or even really an argument, there was a disagreement and a discussion that were done in a civil and constructive manner, and which was terminated the moment a conclusion was found to be unreachable.

So to answer your question, yes, yes it is. But as with any other thread in the discussion forum, it's possible secondary topics may arise naturally from the discussion. Like this one.

I feel like I'd get judged for trying to do any form of a hella-dark-completely-fucked-in-all-ways-possible superpowers RP. It's not your usual spandex thing (even though most superhero stuff established that spandex is long done away) and not even your standard "cape punk" you'd see nowadays. It's kinda hard to explain what I really want.

Think obscene levels of gruesome experimentation (REAL experimentation. Not just 'here lemme put needle in ur ass and call it science'), graphic depictions of literally everything, and characters who won't hesitate for one second to let their powers run loose or police officers that wait for a few seconds before shooting. Also, massive power gaps between certain characters (in-between is okay, but you know). They'll be expected to stay within their own lane, but I just like the idea of having a building breaker coexisting with someone who can poop butterflies.

EDIT: wait, it's just cape punk but hardcore.

I'd actually like to RP one of my ideas. Nobody ever wants to RP my ideas. :/: Maybe I should make two accounts and develop multiple personalities so I can RP with my other self. :coolshades:

Imagine someone making two accounts, role-playing with themselves on RPN, when in actuality--since it's just one person, it becomes a solo orchestrated novel.

Now I find myself wanting to do this, lol..

*clears throat*

I love cave people and I'm not ashamed to admit it! I love prehistory and the neolithic era, but it's so niche I almost hesitate to mention it to people. Like, okay, I get it. Roleplaying a bunch of dumb Neanderthals dragging their knuckles sounds lame and weird. But it's not like that! We're talking about a time when everything was innovation and survival was damn hard.

I blame 'Clan of the Cave Bear'. Such an amazing book.

Ahh, that sounds really cool! I'm finally finishing up The Plains of Passage (after trying at least three or four times... (x ) and I really like the idea of exploring different groups of people and means of survival. If ever you decide to do a RP of a similar nature, will you send me a message? I bet I'd be willing to give it a shot!

Ahh, that sounds really cool! I'm finally finishing up The Plains of Passage (after trying at least three or four times... (x ) and I really like the idea of exploring different groups of people and means of survival. If ever you decide to do a RP of a similar nature, will you send me a message? I bet I'd be willing to give it a shot!

The Plains of Passage was the one I had a hard time with too. It was just so. much. walking.

And absolutely! I'm so glad to have found another person who shares my interest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back