Experiences What is one thing that makes you go “Damn, this partner is a keeper”?

peritwinkle

♠️your local Raphael♠️
Helper
The title says it all. I have taken part in many long-term RPs and, to me, that sweet spot between brainstorming and lighthearted character banter is a dead giveaway of a good future partner.

To add to it, partners that actually ‘argue’ with me when it comes to plot points and holes just fill my heart with a joy I can’t put into words, and more often than not this promises quality and investment in the story on their part.

When they are willing to brainstorm ideas with me and actually offer up their own counterpoints to my ideas.

Also to if they are just in general as nerdy as me, I like to go on long tangents about various inconsequential things. So anyone who can spend as much time talking about the logistics of buying a house in the magical world as they can about the main plot of the roleplay is a keeper for me

Can't choose just one.
-They enjoy tossing ideas around with me. As I'm willing to put in the effort they are too.

-They are able to put in plot twists that 1. Surprise me. 2. The plot twists involved do not control my character, in fact, nine times out of ten the plot twists concern their ideas. 3.) The plot twists make sense.

-We are enjoy telling the story and having fun.

-There's no I only play this type of character thing. They are flexible and have no need to throw in the double bit.

-They're up front. If it's not working, they can't be online, etc they let me know.

-They are concerned about my needs as much as I'm about theirs.

-I don't have to worry about them making an opener if we choose to brainstorm on a plot they made.

-They bring zero drama with them. Example, having bad experiences of the past they're not trying to badmouth other former partners to me.

Can I just start by saying how happy I am to see some extra positivity? I was trying to think of a thread like this myself, but the right question just wans't coming to mind, so thank you for making this!

So there are two stories in particular that come to mind with this question. The first one was with Melpomene Melpomene . We first met when they posted a guide of sorts here in the roleplay discussion subforum. It was really in-depth, well thought out and their writing was superb as well. Just from reading it, I knew that person would be a jaw-dropping partner to write with. At the time there was no offer for roleplay though, so I did what I usually do and gave my two cents on the discussion. Sometime later I found an interest check by them, but the topic of the interest check wasn't quite something I wanted to do. I decided to contact them mentioning the interest check and seeing if maybe we could try something else. They weren't interested at the time, but we did come to talk to each other again some time after that- the exact circumstances of the second discussion I forget- and an opening for discussing a potential RP appeared. Through discussion we ended up each discovering something the other was really interested in which we could combine: For me it was the world of Euphorium as a setting, for her it was the western genre. We ended up putting the two together and Melpomene Melpomene had the amazing patience to put up with my whole lecture on what Euphorium was like. We started a roleplay and it's been one of the best I've had to this day. Though to be honest I do worry that I'm not giving nearly enough back, as I'm still quite lacking in providing those western elements...

Another story was Ceemuhrie Ceemuhrie 's, it all started with the expression "Konnichiwa!". This expression was the title of her thread in the intro area, and when I saw it I grew curious right away. I kept a tab open cause at the very least I wanted to greet this bold fellow weeb. We had fun talking together (well, at least I did) in her intro thread, and as we talked more on discord I decided to ask them if they wanted to start a roleplay (to be honest I'm not 100% sure this was exactly how it went, I think she may have posted an interest check first or maybe she asked me for a roleplay, my memory of the time is a little blurry). She was super cooperative and seemed to really be having fun as we planned out scenes and characters. She was a lovely person to talk to the whole way through (still is, even though life circumstances have pretty much put our RP on halt for a few months) and got into the fun of things creating her own comedic additions to the roleplay and extra bits of character arc that surpassed our planning.

So I guess a few things to make someone a real keeper for me:
1. Work with my preferences- a bit of a given, but the closer one is to a perfect match for my preferences (among which high detail and planning)

2. Be invested, have passion- I care a lot about whether my partner really seems to be into what we're doing or not. I want them to be having fun and enjoy exploring the ideas and characters in the roleplay, I want them to feel for the characters, to imagine what may be coming in the future, to pour heart and soul and ask questions not out of obligation but out of genuine interest and curiosity. Contributing and being cooperative are just things that come in the package.

3.Meta Awareness- I like tropes and I like structure. I like exploring and playing with those too. Problem is not many people care enough about or even really know tropes and structural elements like that. The meta part of stories and writing.

4.All Out Weeb- Genuinely embracing anime/manga culture. Possibly the most straightforward part, but this really helps.

Out of these, I generally need a combination of them to be satisfied. if I had to pick a most important one, that'd probably be 2 though.

Whenever they are active, have the same Interests as me and when we become best friends. There's been so many of these people from different cites I've played on. Im currently looking for one for here. But I keep getting ghosted when i try🤷‍♀️ . But when they have good answers and they reply with perfect detail, it's a keeper. When we can talk about literally anything, that's also a keeper. And when they are willing to try new things or when we work together on a plot or character.

I think, for me, it's kindness. Not just the fun side-banter, but seeing that your partner-writer remembers you're a whole other person behind your character(s) and cares more about your humanity than any plot point or response time.

I still remember, many years ago when I was just a wee RP bean, apologizing profusely to a far more experienced writer because I'd been several days late on a post I'd promised during a really hard exam week. I'll never forget when she just replied: "What the hell are you doing even logging in here? GO STUDY! Your exams matter more than fiction!!" She wasn't even a long-term partner, but it mattered a lot to me.

Oh dang I’ve had so many good partners on here and they are all STELLAR at these:

1.) Enthusiasm. When a partner has undeniable interest in the story, characters, world, and plot, I basically fall in love. Bonus points if they’re as obsessed as me.

2.) Lack of entitlement/abundance of understanding. When a partner doesn’t feel entitled to a post per X days (and no “doctor’s note” required for an unexplained absence) and is kind and even unconcerned about my busy schedule (I work two jobs), this makes them not only a keeper as a partner, but also as a great friend.

3.) Contribution. Even if I’m the main plot wiz, I adore a partner who actively contributes in building character relationships and world crafting. Some of my partners have presented me with fanart, music playlists, detailed world maps, character inspiration sheets, Pinterest boards, spaceship blueprints. These are absolute diamonds in the rough.

4.) Communication. As much as I don’t like nagging or prodding, I do love partners who tell me when they’ll be busy and being actively aware of how their absence or lack of response might affect me. It’s not necessary by any means (I’m ghost friendly), but it does show that they’re thinking of me and that always warms my heart.

5.) Attention to detail/reading comprehension. Whether or not their next response is 200 or 3,000 words, you can bet your ass they paid attention to every word I put in mine. If I offhand mention it’s chilly in a post, their character shivers beneath their cloak in the next. Even if their oblivious character misses my OC’s snappish tone, they tell me how intrigued they were by the reaction. No matter their character’s response, I can tell my partner is reading between the lines, searching for clues, and drinking in the minute details. And I love them for it.

I've only ever had two partners that were "keepers" to me, and what they had in common, that sadly many other partners I had did not, was communication. I always make it (or at least try to) clear to my partners to communicate with me on what they like, don't like, if they're bored, etc. These two I'm talking about were like the best ever at communication.

With one of them we scarily got to the point where we would guess what each other was thinking. It made our rps incredibly fun (Yes, 'rps', when we would get bored we would sometimes scrap the current rp we were doing and do a new one). Me and this partner also took breaks from rping with each other as well, and everything just worked perfectly because we talked to each other. I still chat with her every now and then, although she's not into roleplaying anymore.

Love this thread.

My "Keeper" partners are ones who really show enthusiasm with what we're writing and don't act like it's a chore to roleplay with you. They like to brainstorm, throw out ideas, and you can really tell they're as devoted to plots and development of YOUR character as much as their own. They check in regularly and they're honest when they don't like something or have a counterpoint idea to one of your plots.

These are the people I tend to write with for YEARS and not just days or weeks.

I've honestly decided that the likelihood of me starting any more RPs onsite anymore is low, cause I feel like I got exactly what I needed from this place: my partner. Not only is she the best, closest friend I've ever had, but she's extremely understanding and patient. We have a mastery of communication that's on an entirely new level. I hate to brag, but we've got the whole thing down pat. It's extremely reassuring to know that if I'm pissing off my partner somehow, she'll tell me and we can sort it out together like adults, and vice versa. It makes our roleplays extremely smooth and comfortable. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect match. Communication lining up is key. It makes for a lot of great ideas bouncing off each other!

When they have great ideas, and they embrace yours and you are able to create a whole world together. When they don't care about if you can't make long posts and instead value the quality. When their characters are well developed and interact well with yours. Just some examples.

Also when you throw random plots at them and they just play along. True story.

when they type a post that doesn't suck and show interest in the lore

When they’re pretty nice ooc and clearly put effort into their posts.

Totally not talking about Necessity4Fun Necessity4Fun *wink wonk*

Last edited:
When they seem as excited about character exploration as I am! It's a person that's worried about the plot but also worried about the proper characterization of the character they're playing. You can go hours and hours just thinking about scenes that might never happen with them and it's a really fun brainstorming session!

You can picture their eyes just glowing at the mention of putting their character in an unexpected situation that'll allow them to grow and develop, as well as normal interaction with the other characters. They're not trying to be super duper plot important, just see where their muse goes inside the setting. Who they befriend, what decisions they make, etc.

I don't care if you write 2 paragraphs against my 5 or more para monster posts, as long as you're enjoying the journey as much as I am >w<

1. When our ideas match so well that we can easily develop a whole new world from just one random sentence. This is rare, actually. But high degree in compatbility with ideas is really needed for brainstorming and the flow of the rp story. This is probably the most important point here. Btw, I don't mean we should have same ideas, we can have opposite ideas but still make them work out somehow without any conflicts.
  2. When our writing styles match. It's not super important, but would be nice if they were at least a bit similar or at least not too different to become unreadable when we write together.
  3. Communication and Personality. This one is pretty obvious, need to actually like talking to the person. It has to be natural. Personality is important because I wouldn't want to rp with complete jerk just because they are a good writer.
  4. Similar interests overall. Now this may be not a very obvious one, as in, why would I need similar interests if the rp has nothing to do with them. But I feel like if we are into entirely different things, we won't feel comfortable enough talking to each other. Doesn't mean all interests should be the same though, if I thought like that I'd never find any rp partners. But at least some major ones should be similar. A good example would be like, if I'm into specific anime titles, would be nice if rp partner liked them too. If not the same titles, then at least the same genre would still be fine. But with someone who, let's say, hates anime in general - in most cases it would be hard to relate, even if we are doing completely original rp. (this is just an example and is not the only interest I'd be looking at)
  5. Enthusiasm about the rp and not being opposed to changing to a different rp if for whatever reason we want to keep writing but feel like doing something different. This one isn't a general rule for me, but a nice bonus. Some rp partners that I liked to play with were only up for one rp and that was fine. Some liked branching out and it was great too. This is usually assessed in case by case basis.

I don't think I said anything new. First point is a must for me, it's really "that one thing", but if all those points align, it is almost a guaranteed long-term partner.

♛ ≖≖✿❁≖≖♛♛≖≖✿❁≖≖ ♛
  • the responses that I get from them are similar to mine size-wise, aka long, multi-paragraph posts;​
  • the grammar is correct and posts are generally well-written;​
  • I just feel comfortable writing with them and our ideas click well with each other;​
  • posts are easy to read and not just blocks of text.​
♛ ≖≖✿❁≖≖♛♛≖≖✿❁≖≖ ♛​

When they actually come forward with ideas and move along plot points I bring up, even pushing their own plot points. Its dull when some starts being a safari tourist and only keeps reacting to my posts without doing something substantial.

When they actually come forward with ideas and move along plot points I bring up, even pushing their own plot points. Its dull when some starts being a safari tourist and only keeps reacting to my posts without doing something substantial.
It makes my heart flutter with joy whenever the partner i'm with takes the initiative, comes up with a really interesting idea to progress the plot and isn't afraid to ask questions/enquire about something that they think is not right.

The term 'safari tourist' sums it up beautifully xD Nothing makes me more suspicious than a partner who is just agreeing to everything and doesn't seem interested in expanding the world beyond what i've already written for them :P

Well for me, I've only ever RP'd with my fiancé, and we've been at this for about a decade.

For me it's really easy to write with him since after so many years, we kind of just operate on the same wavelength. Our writing styles are so similar and we generally want to write the same sorts of things. We know our strengths and weaknesses in writing certain characters and we have pretty much the same filter/boundaries in what we comfortable with writing (or a lack off a filter; there isn't much we are uncomfortable with in terms of certain content). There isn't really anything we can say or do (besides some of his grammatical errors) that will really bother the other in a roleplay context and we can generally adapt to any small differences or writing challenges with ease.

When they love all the ideas I give them and are super accepting of anything I want to do, even if it seems outlandish or unique.
I don't like to push my opinions and likes on people, so I have a hard time talking about what I want to do in an RP. So I guess I'm saying it's awesome when I find someone whose tastes are so in sync with my own that they'd actually really enjoy the same stuff I do.

Oh wow, I have a few really good ones!

- Historical accuracy. Like actual, genuine historical accuracy that thought has gone into, not just parroting cliches about 'the olden times'. Oh my god, this is such a marvelous thing for me. I play mostly medieval low fantasy -- which means the emphasis is on the 'medieval' more than the 'fantasy' much of the time. I've also done a fair bit of 19th century RP, and when people understand the details of historical lives, it is. It is MY JAM.

- Mistakes. When my RP partners let their characters just be wrong, when they let them screw up, and make mistakes -- oh, that is so deeply wonderful. So many RPers and writers have trouble letting their chars ever be wrong or make mistakes, other than the highly scripted 'and then they have a misunderstanding and think the other is cheating on them!' kind. When my RP partner lets their characters be wrong or make mistakes... I know they are deeply mature, I know they have good enough self-confidence that they aren't treating their character as a self-standin, and I know that I can trust them not to meta.

- When I can tell they've been immersing themselves into their character and what their char is seeing and experiencing. One time I was RPing in a Harry Potter setting, and my muggleborn student wasn't very good at using quill pens; he tended to get ink all over his hands. He was having a conversation with another student, and it was quite a long one; it began while he was writing a letter with a quill pen, but it went probably dozens of rounds past then. By the end of the conversation, he hugged the other student -- and she posted about how he'd got ink on the back of her shirt, and her character started freaking out about the shirt! I hadn't remembered that detail about the ink on his hands, but she had, and I was absolutely tickled and thrilled. One of the best RP moments of my entire life, tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back