Advice/Help What is a good response time for RPs?

It varies for different people. Some people prefer daily, some twice a week, some once in two weeks etc. There is no universal response time.
Should be whatever time is comfortable for players. Some delays may happen, surge of inspiration also may happen.

As Onmyoji Onmyoji said, it varies among people. It also depends on what exactly you're asking - whether you're asking what a good response time for someone to give is, or what a good response time to expect / request is.

The earlier question is easier to answer - best response time for you to make a post is the earliest you can without compromising the quality of the post or otherwise creating a significant problem. The only bad response time, really, is when you consistently fail to meet the requested time between posts.

When it comes to response time expectations, this is a bit trickier though. For starters, you have to consider what you'd like, but in most cases this will be similar to the above answer. After all, that's exactly why the earliest response that does not compromise quality is best - because your partner wants your responses, else there'd be no point in roleplaying. However, one must also strive to be realistic. If, say, you have a roleplay that with long length requirements, then it's not a good idea to ask for weekly, let alone daily posts, because a post like that takes time to make and therefore needs you to find an opportune time to write it. If the roleplay creates dependencies such as being set in an unfamiliar setting or needing research, it might also be wise to consider giving them time for that.

Now, those considerations are what I would consider the bare minimum. However, there are more considerations to be had. For instance, nobody can really promise they'll be able to deliver a daily post. This is a promise that will inevitably be broken, as everyone will have unforseen circumstances or a bad spell and that kind of thing is often not resolved in a day's time. Of course, even if you ask for a daily post this doesn't mean you'd so inflexible as to never allow breaks, but hence being a less baseline consideration than the above. There's also things like the burden too much posting can put on someone's time and the need for momentum in some RPs.

Personally speaking, I don't put time limits on my 1x1 RPs. I want lengthy, quality posts, and that requires some sacrifice in post pacing. I can also always do other things while I wait - Lord knows I have no shortage of things to do, so I am content waiting if need be. So fundamentally, this is what I would recommend: Find what you need, and what you want. Find what kind of people are most likely to enjoy doing things that way with you, and what they need/want. Then tailor your requirements to those.

What do you think is the best response time?
In all honesty, it depends on the person how busy they are in general. Iife does get in the way sometimes, so it's a bit hard to always post consitently. But I usually encourage partners to write whenever they're comfortable. There's no need for anyone to rush for a response :0

Whenever you damn well feel like it.

I'm one of those people who can wait for weeks and months if my rp partner does not have the time, energy, or inspiration to reply. Roleplaying, to me, is supposed to be a laid-back and fun hobby, not a chore.
I personally hate it when people demand me to be active at least once every day or I have to post at least five times a week, especially when my personal life plays a HUGE role in my mood and mental health. When those things are in jeopardy, I literally can't do anything, and this can happen maybe five times every month.

Of course, to each their own. But I genuinely do not appreciate it when people take jabs at those who can't write as much and as often as they do. It's bully behavior.

Whenever you damn well feel like it.

I'm one of those people who can wait for weeks and months if my rp partner does not have the time, energy, or inspiration to reply. Roleplaying, to me, is supposed to be a laid-back and fun hobby, not a chore.
I personally hate it when people demand me to be active at least once every day or I have to post at least five times a week, especially when my personal life plays a HUGE role in my mood and mental health. When those things are in jeopardy, I literally can't do anything, and this can happen maybe five times every month.

Of course, to each their own. But I genuinely do not appreciate it when people take jabs at those who can't write as much and as often as they do. It's bully behavior.
This!

if your looking at the average response time, I would say once or twice a week.

I haven't done any math on that or anything it's just what most of the interest checks I look at request.

But that is very much just an average and will vary greatly depending on how much free time the people involved in the roleplay have available.

Depends on whatever yourself and your partner establish. Like, I always try to warn potential partners in advance that my own response times can be pretty sporadic. One minute I may be pumping out multiple replies daily while the next minute I may go months without replying. Of course if that much time passes most will simply assume they've been ghosted or something. With me that's rarely the case. I just have a really hard time replying to RP's when I'm going through a really bad depressive episode.

Honestly, I say two weeks max. If no response, employ bunnying!!!

Honestly that's a difficult question because really, it's totally dependent on what was agreed upon between both people. It's also very dependent on their relationship outside of the thread itself.

For example, I can reply daily (even multiple times daily) when I really enjoy a thread, but I don't expect someone to do the same for me. I usually ask for a weekly response at least. But for partners where we also speak a lot OOC and have a good rapport outside the roleplaying itself, there've been times where they haven't replied for months (for plenty of reasons, ranging from major life events to their muse just not being strong enough for our particular fandom at the moment) but they're still clearly showing an interest in the thread, so it doesn't really bother me, and eventually they do pick it up again.

That being said, I don't really understand people who drop threads because the person is taking too long to respond to posts? On one hand, I get why that's frustrating. On the other, nothing is stopping you from looking for other threads to pick up while that one is running, and why would you abandon any chance of a reply instead of just letting it come when it comes?

The time agreed upon when you joined the rp. How long is a piece of string?

Last edited:
i typically write my replies throughout the day when i have free time and send them whenever they're done ^^ depending on the type of rp that can be from a few hours to at most a week from when i originally started writing!

1x1 replies that are less than 700 words are pretty easy to churn out once or twice a day in between my classes but replies for groups that are 700+ words on average usually take a few days if i'm not sitting down and dedicating time to writing it ^^

i usually let my partners know that i am disabled and a full time student + member of my school's band and that those things will usually come before writing so their expectations are always realistic

It definitely depends on everyone's preferences. I have a friend who vanished for like, 6 months and then posted again and we continued like nothing happened. I try to post at least once a week myself. Or if I have a day off from work I like to get multiple posts out if my partner is feeling the same energy. I know of folks who have quit rp's because they didn't get multiples replies each day. It really depends!

i think it's very individualistic.

for me, i will and do try to work around what works best for my writing partner but i also will not force myself to write if i'm not feeling it.
meanwhile, my own expectations are basically whatever works for you.
i'm not super keen on restrictive quotas because i want my partner to have the time they need to create a post they both enjoy and enjoyed making.

so, i think it can vary from person to person and is a pretty important discussion point when seeking partners.

It really depends on the RP expectations and the people. If an RP expects big, meaty posts then they are naturally going to take longer than something causal. Personally I get overwhelmed if something goes too quickly but having something limp along isn't ideal either.

It varies wildly. I have friends I have made RPing and our friendship spans over 10 years. Some of our stories have collected dust for years but once we both find time, we will put one up again.

When I was younger, I would post several times a day sometimes. I would also do live writing where you just sit there waiting for the written response. Now life has caught up to me. I tend to go for stories that request posts about once a week and don't have over 12 players. Since I need to not only write my response but read their posts.

Idk, I couldn’t wait too long. I think it’s respectful to communicate with RP partners when life gets in the way but to involve yourself in a RP that could develop into something bigger when so much effort is put into it then going completely silent without communication, which is a curse in many RP’s today, is an insult.

Then again I believe there has to be an agreed upon time at the start of the RP as not stating any sort of time limit will leave room open for interpretation which leads to RP’s frankly dying.

I like fast-paced RP, but not so fast as to accidentally post at the same RP time.
And, I like to RP daily.
But, I haven't RPed very much, because people in my life tend to not want to. They also tell me to go away, and call me annoying for disrupting their gaming to hang out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back