Opinion what helps you sleep

Certified Paranormal Enthusiast
hello it is like almost 1 am and im trying to sleep but i keep thinking of things that id prefer not to think about what do you do that helps you sleep at night

ASMR, ambience, relaxing music, audiobooks (or any kind of narration) helps. Just hop onto YouTube and you might be able to find something that might engage your mind in more pleasant things and make you sleepy :)

I have an app with nature sounds and meditations. I usually make a mix of nature sounds i like and leave it on with auto timer to switch off.

Here’s some general advice:

1. The most effective way of ensuring sleep is a sleep routine. Going to bed at a regular time, doing the same kind of things before you go to sleep. It’s more of along term solution, but the sooner you start working on it, the sooner you can work on he habit.
2. Ensure you are sleeping at a time when it makes biological sense (when it’s adequately dark outside).
3. Avoid things which give you energy or provoke alertness. Electronic lights, alcohol, caffeine, exercise, and mentally straining activities among other things. You should not be eating too close to sleeping either.
4. Rather than the previously mentioned activies, it's good to do slow, relaxing activities that do not require electronics. Reading a book is a good example.
5. Do not attempt to force it or forcefully think about things. Let your mind wander, even if it goes to uncomfortable places. Do not linger, do not attempt to think about things too hard. Your brain needs to process things, but trying to force thoughts onto yourself requires conscious effort to do so, which would make it a mentally straining activity in this case.

That's what I recall off the top of my head. Best of luck!

I have a routine. From about 9:00, my devices are all closed. I brew some tea and read a book for a little until it's time for bed.

When I actually follow this routine, it works well. Sometimes I'm a little low on discipline, however...

I listen to soundtracks. Some music doesn't really do it for me, but when I do find something that works, it works well.

Bit of an old conversation topic, but I have a hard time getting to sleep too (ADHD and INTP do not go well together). I used to use music until I couldn’t anymore because I’d focus on the lyrics too much and assign songs to characters. Which would get me thinking about rps. And somehow an hour later I’ll have brought that thought process all the way to ‘omg what am I going to do for my future? Why did I choose the major I chose? Etc. Etc.’

Recently, I found an amazing podcast that has worked for me every single time. I fall asleep within a single hour long episode! It’s on Spotify or probably anywhere else there’s podcasts. It’s called “Sleep With Me,” part of Night Vale Presents since 2018. I would check that out and see if it works for you like it works for me. I like the ‘Sleeping with Doctor Who’ episodes.

Good exercise always helps! Not only just for your health in general, but after a good and long day with some exercise thrown in I find it a whole lot easier to fall asleep.

71hRns7NmoL._SL1500_.jpg

I use these when I'm really struggling. I usually don't finish the bottle before I'm drowsy enough to lay down.

When I come across unwanted thoughts, I was initially surprised how effective thinking "I am not going to think about this" is.

i usually put on a podcast of some sort and listen - documentaries work too! i used to try songs but i found that people talking soothed me better than music

Knowing that the existence of the human race on this planet is but a mere blink of an eye in proportion to its timeline. And as an individual, my own manifestation is even more paltry. Nothing I do in life will matter. And after I die, I will inevitably be forgotten in every way.

Yup. That's what helps me sleep.

Well...

The sounds of warfare, 180mm canons racking another HE round, the rattle of Zaku's armor being shredded in half by my bullets, as I grab my beam saber and activate it, I watch the blade slice into the puny armor of those mono eyed freaks
((Ignore that if you wish))

No but really, I do love listening to Fort minor when I relax, so that somewhat helps me sleep

There is a podcast that I cant recommend enough: it's called Sleep With Me. Dear Scoots, the podcaster, just talks. He rambles and rambles and when my brain keeps floating back to thoughts I'd rather it not, I gently nudge it back to the podcast. The great thing is you don't have to listen! Zone out during a tangent, zone back in to a completely different tangent. My favourite episodes are the ones where hes either recapping and episode of a TV Show or telling a story he made up himself.

Some nights I'm passed out by the end of the introduction, but most nights I can listen to 2/3 episodes. It helps to have someone talking in your ear then you're not alone with your own thoughts

I highly recommend Sleep With Me Podcast! Each episode is about an hour long and it was actually made by someone who has insomnia. Scooter (the host) has very nice voice that's very easy to zone out to and the whole podcast is very chill. I usually listen to him when I can't focus on sleeping.
Other things that help me are rain asmr and video game ambiences. Though if you listen to the ambiences I recommend choosing games/locations that you associate with relaxing and safety.

For me, what’s really effective is weening off electronics 1-2 hours before bed. I really don’t want to engage in busy/heavy mental activity, even listening to music, because it stimulates my thinking. Then, I draw until I’m sleepy. Sit down activities that don’t involve my phone or computer relaxes me. Drawing helps me to shut my brain off because I’m just doodling what comes readily to mind.

It also doesn’t hurt for the room to be completely pitch black and a lower temperature. I sleep faster when it’s cold and I’m cozy under a blanket.

I usually listen to white noise or a podcast, but the most important thing for me is to keep my eyes off of screens for at least an hour before I plan on going to bed.

hello it is like almost 1 am and im trying to sleep but i keep thinking of things that id prefer not to think about what do you do that helps you sleep at night
1 am? Lucky you. I've pulled unitentional all-nighters before. The best thing for me is listening to music. Doesn't matter what kind, just music. Full-blast, nonstop until you feel tired. Also lip-syncing and breathing in and out like you're actually singing. Might take a long while, but it usually works.

Honestly, youtuber drama. I need something engaging enough to distract from thoughts, but not something I really wanna pay attention to like a podcast with story, and music just isn't engaging enough.

I personally listen to ASMR! I find the personal attention ones are really good at lulling me to sleep!

A purring kitty next to the pillow makes some nice white noise. (Not always great for staying asleep when it walks over your head in the middle of the night. 😂 )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back