Chitchat What got you into writing/roleplaying?

bettsyboy

Four Thousand Club
So, I was in Melbourne last week, and while there I met, in person. Emily Rodda. The author to the series "deltora quest" a fantasy-adventure novel series i fell in love with as a kid. I think my desire to recreate an adventure like those had by Lief, Barda and Jasmine is what got me into writing (and by extension, roleplaying) in the first place. And get this, that book series was apparently super popular in Japan too and they made a goddang anime about it. That blew my mind!

So, thinking back on it, between thoughts of "why didnt i have the impossible foresight to bring one of my childhood copies of Deltora Quest in the off chance i met Emily Rodda herself on my visit to Melbourne" i got to thinking how much these books fostered my love of great stories.

So, looking back, what got yiu all into writing and roleplaying?

Mine was books like the Redwall, Warrior Cats, and Pendragon series

The powder keg was anime

Well, I will admit Monster hunter was the start. I went and made a story for every character that I had created in those games. And eventually with writing I got into role-playing.

Escapism, pretty much. Roleplaying as a kid got me into a world where I had control over myself, and I liked that. It's just been growing from then, but at this point, roleplaying and writing are just a part of who I am.

Escapism, I think for me as well. It's hard for me to make connections with a lot of people, and I've done boring jobs for a while, too, and boring classes, and being able to find some people with the same interests as me, getting to tune the world out for one more to my own liking is really pleasant.

A bunch of friends got me into it, that was very active and fun to write not only at our pace, but with our imagination.

I was introduced to roleplaying on youtube, weirdly enough. It was this terrible system of creating separate accounts for each character and commenting on people's profiles. Needless to say that didn't last very long. I upgraded to an actual forum when I was like twelve and I was god awful, but I really enjoyed the fact that, in a sense, I could step out of the limits of my own comfort zone in real life via this fictional character that I'd created. Personally, I enjoy exploring the emotional connections between the characters more than the world-building because I really struggle with openly connecting with people in my day to day life. I've stuck with it for 10+ years and it's more or less just a pleasant distraction, I guess.

A friend of mine asked me to play d and d with him, plus some other friends, it ultimately stemmed to a love of RP

I started RPing years and years ago with my brother. We had one RP and decided we loved it, so we had another. And another. And another. It got out of hand to the point where we had 40+ characters, 8+ sequels, and a couple of spinoffs. Looking back, I wasn't a really great roleplayer, but we both had a blast with it, nonetheless. He still uses that same world we built today, if a little tweaked.

My love for Middle Earth. I got all excited about the movies being made and I joined some fan sites where I started roleplay writing on one of the forums. Got kind of addicted, made great tales with other writers, drama came along, and I walked away for a few years. Got back in recently but find it hard to commit the time to anythng more than a slow story.

I don't remember because it was long time ago in a galaxy far far away, but I'm pretty sure my friends got me into rp.
I remember setting up a forum just for us to rp in. It was a small group and each of us had multiple characters.
Then I also did 1x1 with a friend and I enjoyed it a lot more than group rp. Since then I exclusively play 1x1.

I still remember those first rp. I think I have outgrown the characters, or at least I changed my rp patterns a lot since then, but sometimes I feel like updating and using them again just for the sake of nostalgia.

Before I roleplayed I always use to write my own stories. What inspired me was video games particularly Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger which I guess you can say were my early fandoms but they got me writing as cringy as it sounds. Anyway it wasn't until my friend's site that I got my first real taste of roleplay and of course it was terrible. I wrote with my friend and eventually other people. Good times.

To be completely honest, I think I just never grew out of "playing pretend" as a kid. I just found more "adult" ways to do it.

I was what was called an "old soul" as a kid. Nothing extraordinary, just a typical kid who happened to enjoy himself with challenges on a more intellectual basis rather than a physical one. AKA I was a nerd bookworm who liked National Geographic and history channel documentaries as much as cartoons and was making up all kinds of stuff from an early age.

For reasons I won't get into here, around the same age I learned to write, I began seeing a psychologist. In retrospect I feel sorry for the poor woman having to deal with me , trying to do her job but I didn't want to talk about the things that made me angry, I wanted to draw and paint and after a while, I wanted to write. I remember being really proud the first time I "wrote a book". It was a half-drawn, half-written pile of paper sheet about the paleontological history of the Earth up to the emergence of men I think.

While I can't pinpoint exactly where my live of writing really started, that would be my best guess. However, that love of writing was only one of the pieces of the puzzle. The other was the first anime I've ever watched, digimon. I've been watching it since I was two, and there are countless embarrassing stories to tell about those days. The seasons stopped coming after like the fourth (to my knowledge) and I wasn't at an age at whichever I felt comfortable going out of my way to seek it out or talk about it to anyone. But then I was watching some reviews on the previous seasons and found out that there were more that I had yet to watch.

Nostalgia hit me and I wanted to watch it right away, so I began watching it secretely at night. By the end of it, I felt like I really wanted to just be able to enjoy that nostalgia and explore that rich developed world and add in my own creations and variations to it. Add in my love for creative writing and the result was I basically wanted to write OC-based fanfics.

I began searching for somewhere to do that, and what I found was none other than my first roleplaying forum, DFRP, to whichever I've recently returned to. My time spent there was amazing and I remember being enthralled by the rules and system, and how much hype making my first OC brought me.

I dunno. I saw it on a forum a long time ago back when forums were more the rage and my interest was piqued.

When I was around 14, I somewhat belatedly got into the Warrior Cats books, and I remember being dissatisfied with the amount of "every day life" of the cats - saving the forest/world is all nice and good, but I wanted to see more "normal" events, the cats just living their lives. I also had a friend who was very into celebrity RPs around that time, so I knew that roleplaying was a thing, and I googled for Warrior Cats RPs. I ended on a site I used to dearly love, but as it changed quite a bit over the years and I sort of grew out of the fandom, I eventually quit.

What got me back into RPs (this time on this site) was mainly that I just wanted to spend time creating characters again, stopping my modest writing skills from completely rusting away after not using them much for 3 years or so and lastly, interact with people as opposed to just write on my own. As several of my friends moved away for college, I figured the occasional OOC conversation would be better than talking to myself exclusively, haha.

Talking with a person in character and next thing you know, the addiction is born. Granted, I've been writing than my memory can serve me

Well my favorite book series for a time, was the Percy Jackson series. I went out and found a website for it, and they had a CBOX roleplay set up. Well from there, I was sent to a site called goodreads, to continue rping the story. It went from there, to me joining other roleplays, then making my own roleplays. I loved it so much!

Intense boredom. I found a website revolving around roleplaying when I was about 13 or so and decided to give it a try. Turns out I really like it!

Online friends introduced me and we have been building stories together ever since. I'd say it's the fondness of connecting through a story that's yours and no one else's (except your partners too of course) that pulled me in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back