Experiences What got you into roleplaying?

NotinthisUniverse

Generally curious on how some people acquired this to be one of their hobbies. For me, I was introduced through friends, but slowly fell off through high school. I'm happy I'm picking up again, this hobby being a source of creativity for me, even though I am not a writer I just enjoy rping

My love for telling and reading stories, mostly.

I also love the great extent to which you can express yourself and your own creativity.

Aw thanks, its usually concepts/ideas really. I like the fact that you see this as storytelling because I never really thought of it that way.

Well, I read a good amount of fiction and such when I was real young, but I hardly ever considered the idea of making any stories of my own, much less with other people.
Turns out some games, aside from their roleplaying servers, have some rather fancy operations going on in the roleplay niche of their forums, so I figured I would take a look and see what all the noise was about. After testing the waters a little, I decided I had mixed feelings on that stuff and went back to the actual game. If I ever went back, it was probably during that one month or so that my internet wasn't feeling too great.

About a year and a half ago, while randomly browsing through Twitch, I discovered a roleplaying show which was similar to D&D, except without all the complicated math and rules involved. The focus was on small, but somehow interconnected stories that hooked me almost immediately. In one campaign the players are part of the most dangerous gang in the wastes, with a thirst for silver and EXP, and the next they're part of law-abiding enforcers out to hunt down and capture this same gang. And they've come up with many more creative stories as time as gone on-
-each player a member of a loving, caring elven family... that is ripped from them in the midst of one of the most traumatic experiences in elven history-
-but wait, now they're kobold slaves going through the stages of life in their service to millenia-old masters of time-
-and, of course, a romantic exchange between a two-foot tall wrestler and an elven child

all in all, there was some good shit that I've seen as a vast cut above the kind of roleplaying I'm used to, so I figured that would be some good inspiration to get those creative gears going again. I haven't done much lately, but just recently I've found an interester on here I'm definitely down for.

I'm also working on creating a fantasy setting of my own, albeit at a rather lazy pace (but I'll probably post some characters in character feedback, and a story elsewhere once I decide to get my type on). I've been dreaming up the details in my sleep for a long time now, and all I can say about it right now is that part of it has stemmed from some of the (entirely personal) gripes I have about my experience in browsing through Fantasy Interest Checks.

But anyway - yeah, roleplaying. Roleplaying is a cool hobby and I quite like it.
Whatever our interests may be, whether or not we are writers or just people who want to have fun - here's a community that brings it all together. Man, does it feel good to have an imagination.

Twilight used to be the shit back then, when I really didn't watch any of the movies just heard slurbs of it from kids lol. Jacob all the way because wolves were everything to me

I was on chickensmoothie long ago and I had a pixel pet shop. I made up a whole backstory for the shop and the pets were reasonably interactive.

So I got the idea to give customers another way to interact with the shop by allowing them to take "tours" of the island the shop was meant to be located on.

This prompted one of my staff to be like - "oh you want to do roleplays?"

And me to be like - "I want to do what now?"

And she basically explained it as writing out make-believe stories and I was like omg yes exactly.

Through these tours I discovered the roleplay side of chickensmoothie and had a lot of fun for a little bit before they really cracked down on the older demographic.

I mean I was eighteen at the time sooooo I was already pretty well outside the target demographic but it was a good place to learn.

Never really heard of chickensmoothie, I should probably look it up but I'm lazy rn so later. But, yeah we can always learn from experiences no matter how cringey they may be.

Never really heard of chickensmoothie, I should probably look it up but I'm lazy rn so later. But, yeah we can always learn from experiences no matter how cringey they may be.

It wasn't really cringey. It's just chickensmoothie is a website designed for like 10 year olds. So their roleplay section is very restrictive. It's a good place to learn because they are EXTREMELY against harrasment and all that.

It just means that as someone who was a little older it was kind of frustrating after a certain point not being able to roleplay any more mature themes. I mean I don't mean like sex or anything either. Like we couldn't use bad language ( shit or damn ) we couldn't do any kind of violence etc.

if i'm being honest with you? minecraft - it sounds really cringey however i used to go on this server where people would make roleplays and such, and i got hecka hookedby making friends along the way

I started roleplaying on a site called Quizilla, which doesn't exist anymore. I was in like middle school. But how I got started? A popular thing on Quizilla was these "What do characters from "X" series think of you?"quizzes, I guess you can call them. What they were was character sheets that you submit to the author of the quiz via PM and then they will send back results of what the characters think of you or whatever. They will sometimes have thier OCs among them. Anyways, I took one of these quizzes for Naruto. The author of the quiz included her OC. After she sent the answer to the quiz she started sended me messages In Character, and replied to her IC. That is how I started.

I can't remember exactly, but I saw the roleplaying board on Neopets and something about it interested me. I think I was really getting to take an interest in anime, video games, and making up OCs to go along with them (as well as plain old OCs alone), so having somewhere to play out these fantasies I had was probably really enticing.

also off topic but hearing that quizilla no longer exists makes me a little sad, I loved that site when I was a teenager :'C

Honestly, what got me into rping was me looking to kill time. I had always been interested in dnd and while I wasn't able to play it at the time I decided to go for an alternative. I found this site after a quick look and joined it under my current username. 4 years later I'm still here.

I can't remember exactly, but I saw the roleplaying board on Neopets
I had a very similar experience! I used to play Neopets all the time when I was younger; I think my first experience roleplaying was in a warriors guild, back when I had an interest in those books. I hopped around roleplaying guilds for a while, but I eventually moved on the the roleplaying subforum, and started joining those awful high school/family roleplays, haha. I think I finally moved offsite for roleplay when I joined a guild that was operating the actual roleplay offsite, and I discovered there were other places I could go to write outside of Neopets. Honestly I'm glad for that, because as I grew as a writer, Neopets became a bit too restrictive.

Well, basic curiosity. There was a link, and I clicked it. I ended up in a grid game with vampires. It was pretty amusing, so I kept playing. About a couple weeks in, someone messaged me with an invite to a YahooGroups page. A school for vampires... And well, that was 12 years ago. Most of it is lost to time now, but I've never been able to give the hobby up. I'd leave for a year or two, but I always find my way back to it.

My friends. They started a Messenger group and we spammed each other, and we somehow came up with a beautiful crack RP.

I was on a page, where like 50% of the members roleplayed. So I joined in on the fun. and quite soon, I met my - even to this day - roleplay partner.

It's been 5 years. At least.

Probably when I was on AOL, I was a kid and I saw people do stuff in a chat room. I wanted to join so I did.

I went through a depressing emo phase when I was 12, and I spent most of my time writing dramatic poetry and short stories about death. Well, a 12 year old's writing ability is generally limited... so I ended up on this forum for teenagers to discuss writing techniques and critique each other's work. I stumbled across the roleplaying part of the site a few weeks later and that was that.

Fun fact: the roleplaying on that site was such horrible quality that the moderators were embarrassed to have it on their site! They told us that roleplaying was no longer permitted and that we should go somewhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back