What gets you invested in a roleplay?

Several things ^^

• A Good Plotter: If someone is throwing ideas my way, I'm hooked. 
  • Unique Characters: I.e. not someone's fantasy fulfilment character. You know, the kind with the perfect hair, the most tragic of all flaws, the kindest of hearts... If I see a character that says something, that feels human, I'm in. 
  • A Good Writer: This skill is killer. I want to learn from my partners.
  • Character Chemistry: If our characters are on fire together (as in, the banter is sharp as hell), you can be sure I'm not going to drop out. I love wit battles.

That's about it. What more could you ask for?

My late response.

Details and description. You don't need to pull out novella responses to do this either. I think it depends on how you're able to picture the world the roleplay takes place in and what you can convey to your partner.

Communication. There's nothing more terrible than not talking with my partner about anything. If they're going to be gone, can't post, stumped about where to go with the plot it's fine but just talk to me. That's all I ask.

Flexibility. Flexible to try to play both genders. Again, all I ask is try. 

Plot. Plot is a must, I love it as much as I love reasonable plot twists.

Simple answer: my partners. The more inventive, invested and cooperative my partners are, the more I can be myself. I work mostly from spurs of inspiration or from long and intricate planning (I prefer the latter as I am more guaranteed to have it, if I can), and it´s really a matter of getting those spurs from what I read, by hyping me up for what comes next, and a matter of people wanting to actually working with me, making me feel like my time is truly being valued as the finite and irreplaceable resource it is. Those things make me respect my partners more and want to put my heart and soul into the roleplays because it telegraphs one thing that to me is the most essential part of any roleplay:

"We are in this together"

The enthusiasm of those I'm RPing with. And the characters. I want to love your character as much as I love mine, I want to feel the excitement you have for this RP in your replies.

1. People with a writing style that's a good partner to mine.

2. Well-thought-out, realistic characters who have a mind, a backstory, a personality.  By realistic I don't mean set in the real world, either; you can have a character in the wildest, most unreal setting and still have him come off as realistic, believable.

3. Attention to detail.  I've dropped RPs before simply because people can't pay attention to detail.  I say it's night, they say it's day.  I say we're in Medieval England, they say we're in Ancient Rome. (Yes, it happened)

4. Good conversation between characters. Dialogue's important.

5. Good OOC banter. When I like the person, I like the RP more.

Personally?

The roleplayers, I know not everyone is on the same-level and I have nothing against less experienced roleplayers, but nothing kills my immersion and investment more than

Me:

Aria sighed in disarray, her long hair fluttering in the moonlit sky, a gentle breeze was their only company; echoing like a twisted howl. Her eyes scanned the horizon, peeling the surroundings for signs of anything amiss. Something was wrong... She thought wearily, at this revelation the very air itself seemed to thicken; it was as if the land was warding her away from some deep-dark secret - hidden by mother nature for eons untold - could it be... Was this it? the Artifact of Kalamir, they had searched so long for? Closing her eyes tight, she willed herself to feel the dark energy emanating from what she could only assume was the artifact - their goal - she knew she should get the others... There was no telling of the dangers this place held, but her feet refused to move away, there was only one way now, forward. She walked one step, then two; the aura was vibrating now, she could feel the energy... So close now... It's demonic power was almost overpowering, with a sharp cry, Aria slumped to her knees, her skull fractured under the pressure of pure misery and dread, hopelessness crashed on her like a tidal wave of doom... This was above her, above all of them... She needed help, they needed help! With whatever mental strength she had left, she screamed fiercely; though more a result of the immense pain than a friendly warning - but regardless, there was no doubt her companions would hear it, or so she hoped.

Regardless she would not know, as her hazy eyes soon saw only black.

Roleplayer:

Ginna  rolled her eyes at the noise "looks like Aria is in trouble again!" she said, drawing her godly-super sword, gifted to her by Athena the Goddess (her mother) She ran as fast as wind and reached Aria, before helping her up. "Hey are you okay?" 

Seeing the problem ginna quickly smashed the hidden alter and drained the amulets power using her powers inherited from the gods and smirked at Aria. "Lets go back to the others and tell them we completed the mission!" She proclaimed victoriously carrying Aria back to the others. "I did it!"

The worst part is this happens way to often, in my experience - maybe not as severe as the above example - but immersion breaking is... well, immersion breaking, and that kills my investment more than anything. Provided everyone is on a more familiar writing level, I can honestly remain invested no matter the roleplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back