Other What genres would you like to see more of on RPN?

welian

#BlackLivesMatter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I've noticed that the different genres we have on RPN tend to wax and wane in popularity. What, in your opinion, would you like to see more RPs of on here? I mean, my answer has been the same for past 3 or so years I've been on here - I'm always eager to browse new sci-fi groups.

I'm kinda conflicted on magical girl roleplays. I like the genre, (as a concept; most magical girl shows are meh) but I pretty much play male characters exclusively, and tend to distance myself from realism and human characters. That means that if I want to roleplay it, I either have to ignore a large part of the genre and take three days making a human person character, or just flip off the genre entirely.

Sorry for venting, but I would like to see more magical girl roleplays, regardless of the above.

That's an interesting conflict... Would you consider making a villain? A lot of magical girl RPs have evil alien villains that are neither female nor human.

Sorry, now I'm picturing playing a magical boy robot.

as you said, sci-fi seems to in general be much more underappreciated compared to other genres. it's a shame, but it kind of makes sense, since i can imagine there are a lot more possibilities to explore and difficulties to encounter + things like worldbuilding may be an issue. but fantasy requires similar things and that genre seems much more popular, so i don't really know.

That's an interesting conflict... Would you consider making a villain? A lot of magical girl RPs have evil alien villains that are neither female nor human.
The villains usually show up once per episode to create the monster of the week. I usually just make my character the team's mascot fairy who becomes human when he transforms.
Sorry, now I'm picturing playing a magical boy robot.
Bold of You to Assume That I Wouldn't.

SP3CT3R SP3CT3R
Magical girls were bread and butter for my group days. And I did several roleplays where males were a part of the line up or even the central characters. They exist in the genre itself, there are male magical girls in some of the storylines and there is even a male centric magical girl anime.

So if you want to play a male in a magical girl group I don't see why that would be a big deal. Unless your dealing with unimaginative purists.

I do not personally do groups anymore so my ideas are based on 1x1s.

I would like to see more parent / young child roleplays (platonic) Or just young children in general in sort of adventure/magical stories.

Also sibling roleplays. I would love to see a few more 1x1s centering around a sibling (non incest) pairing as well.

I'd love to see more roleplays about time periods other than medieval/ dark ages, and with settings other than this very generic knights-of-the-round-table, england-represents-all-of-europe vibe to them.

I'd love to see more roleplays about time periods other than medieval/ dark ages, and with settings other than this very generic knights-of-the-round-table, england-represents-all-of-europe vibe to them.
This! Also, more historical roleplays that aren't "Victorian means anything between the Middle Ages up to World War I."

I'm kinda conflicted on magical girl roleplays. I like the genre, (as a concept; most magical girl shows are meh) but I pretty much play male characters exclusively, and tend to distance myself from realism and human characters. That means that if I want to roleplay it, I either have to ignore a large part of the genre and take three days making a human person character, or just flip off the genre entirely.

Sorry for venting, but I would like to see more magical girl roleplays, regardless of the above.
I made a magical girl roleplay once. Half the users ghosted on me. And we had really great characters too. So I am with you on more MG roleplays.

More detective roleplays would be cool too.

I’d like some SCP-related or just general cryptid roleplays, but not like the boring stuff where everybody sits in a lab and does tests. I’m talking like being in the field trying to eliminate a large threat or something minor. The concept itself leaves a lot open and I’d really like to see what a creative person could do to make an enjoyable setting.

I’d like some SCP-related or just general cryptid roleplays, but not like the boring stuff where everybody sits in a lab and does tests. I’m talking like being in the field trying to eliminate a large threat or something minor. The concept itself leaves a lot open and I’d really like to see what a creative person could do to make an enjoyable setting.
I think I've tried that once.

Honestly, I think I've made rps about everything that isn't in the romance genre so hit me up for a group rp and I'll see what I can make.

More historical RPs that aren't "x period in England". Not to start any fights but I've always liked the continent better.

Isn't that the entire point of realistic/modern interest checks?

Depends on what real world based means. If it’s “set in the real world at any point in history with or without magic/superheroes” than yep.

If it’s real world based as in idk Set in Mayberry following the lives of a 1950s suburban family. Yes it still fits but it’s not really the sole kind of roleplay available.

Well, there's quite a selection to make. Hmm, the one's I'd probably want the most would be comedy roleplays and game roleplays. Comedy roleplays would be because comedy is my favorite genre, as it's just a generally expansive and refreshing approach that is meant to bring a smile to my face. I certainly like serious content as much as any other- but I generally like a more lighthearted approach with bits of drama generated by the story moreso than the generally depressing or revolting tone of dark roleplays.

By game RPs I mean RPs which are set inside games, typically VRMMORPG types, but other would be fine as well, or which are heavily focused on a game. I like to explore these usages of game mechanics that don't have the dice or the session aspect that a game like D&D would and whith more a a story attached. I like the games that are created in these genres, the situations, and the elements of the characters in universe playing the games, I know it doesn't sound like a great pitch, but I'm just not sure how to put it...

Other genres I really like an wish I coul see more off are slice of life, magical girl and mystery RPs (like with actual mysteries, not just faint traces of intrigue). I also would love to see more quest an colloseum RPs pop up, because those areas have so much potential, but due to sheer lack of traffic an exposure they en up getting asphixiated before ever really having a chance.

Those aren't genres per say, but maybe it fits to share in this thread other things we'd like to see more off? I think there are specific fandom's I'd love to see some RPs for around, an I would love it if platonic relationships/roleplays were more popular as well, specifically more exotic ones. I also think people are a bit too afraid of using and exploring tropes sometimes, so if things could loosen a bit there, it'd be awesome.

Ah, this post is all over the place! Guess that's what I get for trying to write it at 2h40 in the morning...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back