Advice/Help What does // mean in context of pairings?

Nihilum

HONEEEEYY? WHERE'S MY SUPER SUIT?!
I keep seeing this new thing everywhere; mainly, it's used in the context of M// or F//. I...- I might just be old and don't know the new RP lingo, but what in the world does it mean? I haven't seen it on any other site before, and there's usually not any context to figure out what they're trying to say.

It means MxM or FxF. In other words, same sex romantic pairings.

It means MxM or FxF. In other words, same sex romantic pairings.
Huh. Interesting. Is there any particular reason that it's being used over those terms these days? I've noticed it's definitely a new thing that hasn't spread to other sites yet.

Huh. Interesting. Is there any particular reason that it's being used over those terms these days? I've noticed it's definitely a new thing that hasn't spread to other sites yet.
I'm not sure. Also, it's not a new thing. I saw it used when I first got into RP and that was almost 20 years ago.

personally i always thought the use of m// or f// for mxm or fxf was because when you say it out loud, a common phrase used for fiction with same sex pairings is "m/m slash" or "slash fanfics." that's what's always made sense to me haha

edit: here's google's explanation! thought this was really neat, i love seeing just how much star trek has influenced lgbt media today.
"The name arises from the use of the slash symbol (/) in mentions in the late '70s of K/S (meaning stories where Kirk and Spock had a romantic [and often sexual] relationship), as compared to the ampersand (&) conventionally used for K&S or Kirk and Spock friendship fiction."

personally i always thought the use of m// or f// for mxm or fxf was because when you say it out loud, a common phrase used for fiction with same sex pairings is "m/m slash" or "slash fanfics." that's what's always made sense to me haha

edit: here's google's explanation! thought this was really neat, i love seeing just how much star trek has influenced lgbt media today.
"The name arises from the use of the slash symbol (/) in mentions in the late '70s of K/S (meaning stories where Kirk and Spock had a romantic [and often sexual] relationship), as compared to the ampersand (&) conventionally used for K&S or Kirk and Spock friendship fiction."
AO3 uses that too. The / is romantic or sexual pairings. The & is just platonic friend stuff.

I swear why is it that everything in fandom lore somehow goes back to Star Trek? Lmao. They're the blueprint I suppose.

AO3 uses that too. The / is romantic or sexual pairings. The & is just platonic friend stuff.

I swear why is it that everything in fandom lore somehow goes back to Star Trek? Lmao. They're the blueprint I suppose.
Yea. It goes back to Star Trek because it's like the first piece of media, in the West at least, to have that sort of fandom culture attached to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back